Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 v Y v S in regards to wheel contour in the trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TwistedGray

Ludicrous > Ludacris
Mar 12, 2021
Monterey Bay, CA
I don't know where to post this as there is not a "general" sub-forum, or I'm blind today : )

I am buying a Dreamcase knock off for the Model S, but they only make the knock offs for the Model 3 or the Model Y. I am hoping that it'll work well enough in the Model S; although, I understand in both cases the mattress will be three inches wider. I think I can work around this (I have ideas).

The question is which of the two other models most matches the Model S in terms of the trunk layout and design. My guess is the 3 is the closest match because everything I've seen in the Y shows the seats folding flat; whereas, I believe both the 3 and the S rear seats don't fold (as) flat.

The seller noted to me, "The concern that I have is whether the wheel contour in the trunk (3 / Y) is closest to the model S. I think this matters the most, but yes they are both wider."

Any thoughts?

My first thought is: There's a Dreamcase knock-off?

Second thought is: where and how much?

Lastly, I'm happy to take measurements if it helps.

I think I saw where some Y(?) owners had bought Dreamcases and were selling them. I seem to recall they mentioned that it fit fine for them but don't recall any specifics beyond that nor to I know how that would translate the other way which (I think) is what you're asking. Might want to start there to ask about fitment.

If this pans out for Model S owners I'd be interested too.

Reactions: TwistedGray
@Ostrichsak At this time, Dreamcase is the only option; however, I am working with someone who has made something for the 3 and the Y. I am curious if what's been designed for those can work in our cars. What exists for the 3/Y won't directly work, I know that...there will be some modifications required. I'm curious to what extent, and once I have that I'll go back to the designer to see what a minimum order quantity looks like and maybe set up a group buy if it makes sense for everyone.

Hopefully someone with a 3 can chime in with photos like this (from my S). In the meantime, I've asked someone who I know that has a 3 to send me matching photos. I am curious if their seats, when folded flat, have the same step up and curvature.

PXL_20210728_232154813.jpg

PXL_20210728_232158801.jpg

The Model Y seats fold flat(ter) at the bottom. Here's a photo I found online to demonstrate what I'm talking about.

View attachment 689298
Yeah I figured the Y would be 100% no-go, and I think the 3 folds similarly. I can't seem to find a photo showing it's rear interior space with the seats folded flat. I think the S is the only one of these three that has this stepup design.