Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 v Y v S in regards to wheel contour in the trunk

TwistedGray

Ludicrous > Ludacris
Mar 12, 2021
Monterey Bay, CA
I don't know where to post this as there is not a "general" sub-forum, or I'm blind today : )

I am buying a Dreamcase knock off for the Model S, but they only make the knock offs for the Model 3 or the Model Y. I am hoping that it'll work well enough in the Model S; although, I understand in both cases the mattress will be three inches wider. I think I can work around this (I have ideas).

The question is which of the two other models most matches the Model S in terms of the trunk layout and design. My guess is the 3 is the closest match because everything I've seen in the Y shows the seats folding flat; whereas, I believe both the 3 and the S rear seats don't fold (as) flat.

The seller noted to me, "The concern that I have is whether the wheel contour in the trunk (3 / Y) is closest to the model S. I think this matters the most, but yes they are both wider."

Any thoughts?

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
My first thought is: There's a Dreamcase knock-off?

Second thought is: where and how much?

Lastly, I'm happy to take measurements if it helps.

I think I saw where some Y(?) owners had bought Dreamcases and were selling them. I seem to recall they mentioned that it fit fine for them but don't recall any specifics beyond that nor to I know how that would translate the other way which (I think) is what you're asking. Might want to start there to ask about fitment.

If this pans out for Model S owners I'd be interested too.

Reactions: TwistedGray

TwistedGray

Ludicrous > Ludacris
Mar 12, 2021
Monterey Bay, CA
@Ostrichsak At this time, Dreamcase is the only option; however, I am working with someone who has made something for the 3 and the Y. I am curious if what's been designed for those can work in our cars. What exists for the 3/Y won't directly work, I know that...there will be some modifications required. I'm curious to what extent, and once I have that I'll go back to the designer to see what a minimum order quantity looks like and maybe set up a group buy if it makes sense for everyone.

Hopefully someone with a 3 can chime in with photos like this (from my S). In the meantime, I've asked someone who I know that has a 3 to send me matching photos. I am curious if their seats, when folded flat, have the same step up and curvature.

PXL_20210728_232154813.jpg

PXL_20210728_232158801.jpg

TwistedGray

Ludicrous > Ludacris
Mar 12, 2021
Monterey Bay, CA
The Model Y seats fold flat(ter) at the bottom. Here's a photo I found online to demonstrate what I'm talking about.

View attachment 689298
Yeah I figured the Y would be 100% no-go, and I think the 3 folds similarly. I can't seem to find a photo showing it's rear interior space with the seats folded flat. I think the S is the only one of these three that has this stepup design.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC