Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 v2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, for Tesla, they can easily divert to other countries to change this number without affecting production.
lol. Easy. Yeah... simple. No, not at all. And they have two very good reasons for rolling out from California outward. #1... logistics. It is faster and cheaper to sell local than to ship things across the country/world. #2... problem rectification. They are being prudent in not assuming there will be zero flaws. In the case of a massive recall, its a whole lot easier to deal with a california-only distribution. We already KNOW they are rolling out in California first, so no they aren't going to divert to other countries to time an expiring credit situation that doesn't affect them in the least.

Exactly. The fact that so many people just ASSUMED there would be a HUD simply shows how many people thought that a single ipad screen for everything was such a bad idea that tesla MUST have something better in mind. Turns out they were wrong.
You say "exactly" like you and I are making the same point. We're not. For the record, I think the single display is just fine. I wanted a HUD because I thought it would be super cool (and yeah, because it seemed logical that there'd be something in front of you). But no I don't at all agree that a single central display is a problem. I have some UX *question*, but I'm sure they have answers.

With hindsight, I'm now pretty sure what Elon meant about "spaceship" is the large amount glass and the low dash sill giving the feeling of flying through space with a 360-ish field of view.
Fair enough. I envisioned this:
cockpit_concept_by_adamburn-d7ijs4v.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: lunitiks
Are you really saying he meant the tactile sensation of the materials used in a space ship? We both know he meant the experience, which is 90% visual.

Customers care about the tax credit. The manufacturer only cares insofar as it bumps sales. Tesla couldn't give a crap, because they'll sell out whether or not you get your credit. If you don't buy it, someone else will. I just can't see them making adjustments on delivery schedules to maximize credits for which they see zero benefit. He already has shown he thinks it necessary to "anti sell" because he figures everyone can "just by an S". As a billionaire, naturally he's a little out of touch :)

That's been made clear, sure. But I was expressing my disappointments since unveil. At unveil there was no guesses at all as to production volume. For all we knew, employees would be satisfied on Day 1 and Day 2 I could have my car. Since he discussed the weekly expected figures, we could start to make guesses. My point? The fact we now know I was never going to get my car in July doesn't mean I couldn't be disappointed once that became clear.

Umm... we did? You find me THAT quote. What we SAW was a glass roof on every unit, right? And I think you missed my point. It *isn't* going to be an option. It is going to be *called* an option. You wait and see. You won't be able to order one without a glass roof. Not if you want it before 2019. They've given themselves a way to price the car however they need to and still be able to say to the media that it is a $35k car.

Yes, I'm predicting. Of course I can be wrong. I won't be though ;)

No. We didn't. Again... you have a quote/link?

Yet they don't mention that in the comparison page. Apples to apples. Whatever they're talking about as being steel in the 3 is aluminum in the S. PS. My 2010 Honda is surely "modern" and it has rust at the bottom of every door. I'm not saying it will be a problem, but I'd be happier if it was all aluminum. I could care less about body shop costs... that's insurance's problem.

Well, you're making the point I kept making... that we don't know that logically speaking. But logically speaking, we still don't know there's no HUD. He's never said that. He's said things that make us fill in the blanks that all but rules out the HUD... but it hasn't been confirmed. He's not once said, "No, there is no HUD" (that I'm aware of). Silly, right? If there would be a HEP filter then that would be listed. Prior to the update where the features list was blank for the 3, I figured they just weren't revealing. But now that that list is populated... let's be real, there's no HEPA.

No he did mean anything visual... If I say "can I see that pen really quick?" I don't actually mean I want to look at it. You (and many other people) simply made that assumption. When talking about steering controls or experiencing the steering on say a BMW you don't mean tactile really or visual. It's more of a feeling you get when driving it.

Here's an article about the steel construstion from 2014:
Tesla's Gen 3 Sedan To Be Steel-Bodied, Have 'Realistic' Pricing

roof details in this video:

Reactions: ikjadoon and Runt8
lol. Easy. Yeah... simple. No, not at all. And they have two very good reasons for rolling out from California outward. #1... logistics. It is faster and cheaper to sell local than to ship things across the country/world. #2... problem rectification. They are being prudent in not assuming there will be zero flaws. In the case of a massive recall, its a whole lot easier to deal with a california-only distribution. We already KNOW they are rolling out in California first, so no they aren't going to divert to other countries to time an expiring credit situation that doesn't affect them in the least.
I'm not talking about Model 3 carrying the weight. I'm talking about Model S/X. That's the cars they have in volume initially to manipulate the numbers. They certainly can divert deliveries of those (they have done that before to reach quarterly numbers).

Reactions: CameronB
No he did mean anything visual... If I say "can I see that pen really quick?" I don't actually mean I want to look at it. You (and many other people) simply made that assumption. When talking about steering controls or experiencing the steering on say a BMW you don't mean tactile really or visual. It's more of a feeling you get when driving it.

Here's an article about the steel construstion from 2014:
Tesla's Gen 3 Sedan To Be Steel-Bodied, Have 'Realistic' Pricing

roof details in this video:
That article just speculated: "the car will likely have steel construction to further reduce costs" (my emphasis).
No doubt there are steel strengtheners for the pillars, roof struts, and structural beams, but speculation is that the body panels are aluminum.

That article just speculated: "the car will likely have steel construction to further reduce costs" (my emphasis).
No doubt there are steel strengtheners for the pillars, roof struts, and structural beams, but speculation is that the body panels are aluminum.
Tesla engineering VP in 2014:
"I expect there will be very little carry-over. We’ve got to be cost-effective. We can’t use aluminum for all the components."
To Cut Costs, Tesla Gen 3 Won't Be All Aluminum Like Model S

I always thought that it was common knowledge that the Model 3 won't be using anywhere near as much aluminum as the Model S. I'm surprised there are people who thought otherwise.

Despite Elon growing up in Canada

He grew up in South Africa.

This car will launch with only the "optional" roof, which gives them the ability to adjust the price however they wish and make it look like they didn't break any promises.

Wrong. That would be ample ammunition for all their haters, they won't give it to them.

Tesla couldn't give a crap

Statements by Elon say otherwise. I believe him over you.

even manipulate international deliveries costing us millions

Cool drugs dude. Why would delivering to Canada for a few weeks cost them millions? Come back to reality.

Thank you kindly.

My 2 cents is that the Model 3 has always been a $35,000 base price car (so literally an average car), and since there's still an EV premium for cars (it just costs more for the power plant), it's comparable to a ~$27,000 car with EV instead of an ICE. So that's kept my expectations in check.

Keep expectations in check? You can get a pretty nice ice for $27k base price.

• Disagree
Reactions: JeffK
No he did mean anything visual... If I say "can I see that pen really quick?" I don't actually mean I want to look at it. You (and many other people) simply made that assumption.
Because that's what those words actually mean in plain English. Despite your attempt to add a qualifier that did not exist in Musk's statement, it conveys a desire to examine the pen that typically includes, but isn't limited to, visual inspection.

Because that's what those words actually mean in plain English. Despite your attempt to add a qualifier that did not exist in Musk's statement, it conveys a desire to examine the pen that typically includes, but isn't limited to, visual inspection.
It really doesn't matter what your argument is... He never meant it'll look like a spaceship no matter how you read his original tweet.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Reactions: Runt8
It really doesn't matter what your argument is... He never meant it'll look like a spaceship no matter how you read his original tweet.

Elon Musk on Twitter
I'm reading what he wrote. If you choose to read something else (like his mind?), all the more power to you.

It's interesting that you're now so adamant that Elon didn't mean it would look like a spaceship, when just last month you thought "all signs are pointing to something we haven't seen yet."

I suppose you meant that it's something we haven't felt yet, right? I have so much trouble with these English colloquialisms.

Last edited:
With hindsight, I'm now pretty sure what Elon meant about "spaceship" is the large amount glass and the low dash sill giving the feeling of flying through space with a 360-ish field of view.
Perhaps, but he also said something to the effect of "waiting until we see it", which indicates we haven't seen the final layout. And the interior hasn't really changed since the alpha reveal.

I'm not talking about Model 3 carrying the weight. I'm talking about Model S/X. That's the cars they have in volume initially to manipulate the numbers. They certainly can divert deliveries of those (they have done that before to reach quarterly numbers).

My mistake. I see your point now.

He grew up in South Africa.
He was born in South Africa. He moved to Canada at 18. I suppose it depends on what "grew up" means. Yes, he physically grew up in S.A.... I'll concede. Sorry for my poor wording. I know I did most of my maturing, however, after 18 :) You?[/quote]