Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 v2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm shocked at how many Tesla S owners end up going for the P models. I get the appeal... but not to the tune of the thousands of dollars it takes to get there. AND taking a range hit as well. 0-60 in under 10 seconds is P enough for me :) So performance wise... the 3 simply can't disappoint me.

I certainly wish the 3 was everything my dreams built it up to be. But as long as it uses no oil, goes faster than my current car (not hard), and has at least some cool tech... I'll be somewhere on the happy side of the scale.

Being in Canada (on the West coast)

Kelowna is on the west coast of Canada? That's strange since I have to drive inland for 4 hours to get there.

Being on the actual west coast of Canada, I never expected to get my Model 3 at the same time as those on the west coast of the States, what with us being in another country and all.

I doubt I'll get a Bolt (for one, it isn't really available here)

Yes it is. I see them driving around my neigbourhood and they're in stock at the dealers' lots in BC if you want one...

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV LT *IN STOCK*

Reactions: S'toon
This thread is amusing: so we are already talking about the Model 3 "V2" when the Model 3 has not yet gone into production.
I think the reality is... this car just isn't as cool as it was built up to be. The HUD? Purely people's imaginations based on the lack of a traditional instrument cluster. "Spaceship"? Elon's view... and what we see is what he feels looks like a spaceship. Considering his other company builds them, I guess he's entitled to define it however he wishes. "Finished interior"? It *is* finished. You may not like it, but that's the design intent they were going for.
Yes, "built up to be" by "people's imaginations", as you correctly point out. The fault does not lie with Tesla. Unsurprisingly, hundreds and hundreds of TMC posts about a Model 3 HUD did not in fact result in their actually being a HUD. What a shock.

As to the "like a spaceship" statement by Elon, you are right: he also builds spaceships and guess what? His spaceship has a single central touchscreen. So Elon's statement is right on.
16763231836_17a786ee20_b.jpg

Keep expectations in check? You can get a pretty nice ice for $27k base price.
Your definition of "pretty nice" does not align with my definition. On the rare occasions in my past 2+ years of 100% EV ownership when I have ridden in low cost compact ICE cars I am reminded of just how bad they are: noisy when accelerating, the abrupt feel of the brakes compared to smooth regen braking, sluggish acceleration...I could go on.

He should worry about people realizing the 3 isn't any better than a Leaf or a Bolt.

I'd take that back before you end up on on a list of "people never to be taken seriously".

You can drive to the nearest Tesla Supercharger to protest about how crappy the M3 is but then you'd realize you would have to turn back half way in a Leaf or Bolt because you have no way of getting home otherwise.

• Funny
Reactions: JeffK
Your definition of "pretty nice" does not align with my definition. On the rare occasions in my past 2+ years of 100% EV ownership when I have ridden in low cost compact ICE cars I am reminded of just how bad they are: noisy when accelerating, the abrupt feel of the brakes compared to smooth regen braking, sluggish acceleration...I could go on.

That's nice and all, but by your own admission you aren't talking about the same vehicles as I am.

• Disagree
Reactions: gowthamn and JeffK
Kelowna is on the west coast of Canada? That's strange since I have to drive inland for 4 hours to get there.

Being on the actual west coast of Canada, I never expected to get my Model 3 at the same time as those on the west coast of the States, what with us being in another country and all.

Yes it is. I see them driving around my neigbourhood and they're in stock at the dealers' lots in BC if you want one...

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV LT *IN STOCK*

Yes, Kelowna is on the west coast of Canada as far as Tesla is concerned. (besides, Surrey isn't on the coast either, if you want to get all uppity about it). Like you, I take delivery at the Vancouver centre.

Lol @ "in stock". No they aren't. I've called every Chevy dealer in BC and the answer was all the same - good luck until 2019 and I better have a deposit down because each dealer gets a few a year. Granted, that was 4 or 5 weeks ago so maybe something's changed, but some craigslist click bait for a non-dealer is hardly evidence otherwise.

As to the "like a spaceship" statement by Elon, you are right: he also builds spaceships and guess what? His spaceship has a single central touchscreen. So Elon's statement is right on.
16763231836_17a786ee20_b.jpg
That picture clearly shows 4 displays, not one :) Hey! Seating for 7. That's next year's Model X, right?

I'd take that back before you end up on on a list of "people never to be taken seriously".

You can drive to the nearest Tesla Supercharger to protest about how crappy the M3 is but then you'd realize you would have to turn back half way in a Leaf or Bolt because you have no way of getting home otherwise.

Anyone that doesn't consider the Bolt and Leaf as competition for the 3 doesn't understand how the English language works. Words have definitions. By definition, they are competition. They are long range EV. To a long range BEV shopper, they are the ONLY competition. If that means I won't be taken seriously by people that don't understand how words work, so be it.

Superchargers: first off, I'm playing Devil's advocate because I do personally believe that having access to that network is huge for most people. HOWEVER, it really depends on who you are and where you live. Take where I am, for example. The network doesn't really support my area very well. I can go west to vancouver and east to Calgary. But I make WAY more trips south to the US than I do to either of those, and there's no superchargers at all south of me. Nor any planned. Really, superchargers are going to be an extremely small benefit to me except on very rare occasions. And I don't think I'm a super rare case. Despite the very impressive map, there are more places (even in the US) without superchargers than with. So there are a LOT of people that really aren't swayed that much by that feature. Really the vast majority of people don't *need* it, because 99% of their driving is within the range of the car. To all those people - on range alone - the Bolt and Leaf offer compelling alternatives.

To me personally, as I've said, the Bolt is off my list. The Leaf? I reserve judgement for its announcement in September. If I don't have my 3 by then, who knows? Probably not. But my next car is an EV, so if the 3 doesn't make sense then I'll have to look at the alternatives, and there are few right now.

You can get a pretty nice ice for $27k base price.
That's nice and all, but by your own admission you aren't talking about the same vehicles as I am.
Yes, I am. That is what I described in my post, exactly.

People seem to be taking bits of the tweet that fit their narrative, so just wanted to put the whole thing out there (once again).

View attachment 229040

And that's the glimmer, isn't it? We grasp that he's still going to stick to that and surprise us all at final reveal. I really REALLY doubt that at this point. Part of me wants to believe that we've never actually seen a "release candidate". That everything we're being fed is simply a big ploy to pull the wool over our eyes. I mean, when you look at that Tweet... he's clearly saying the steering "controls" and "system" (not just a wheel) is something out of this world. Something the automotive world has never seen! But what we see in the release candidates is... a steering wheel. Whoop-dee-doo Elon. Oh way, now it has scroll wheels! *yawn*

I think he really intended on delivering something revolutionary back when he tweeted that. I honestly believe HE believed he was giving us the first functional full HUD. They just couldn't make it happen. So they begin the "anti-sell" and pull back on the big talk and hope people don't dredge up old Tweets.

The good news is, the speculation ends fairly soon.

Thank you. As I stated in my post, Elon said the 3 would "feel like a spaceship". Which is why I posted that photo of the SpaceX Crew Dragaon capsule screen. That is Elon's "spaceship".
People seem to be taking bits of the tweet that fit their narrative, so just wanted to put the whole thing out there (once again).

View attachment 229040

• Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
Looking at that picture again, I have to wonder... why is there a grey fedora in the top/center portion?
That's a joystick. Maybe the track balls on the RCs will make sense in that context (if they do things other than just the same functionality as existing conventional scroll wheels).

But I suspect his spaceship comment is just talking about FSD, which people surprisingly were not surprised about it seems (Elon seemed to have expected a bigger reaction). The Dragon capsule is also noted for being autonomous.

Last edited:
Anyone that doesn't consider the Bolt and Leaf as competition for the 3 doesn't understand how the English language works. Words have definitions. By definition, they are competition. They are long range EV. To a long range BEV shopper, they are the ONLY competition. If that means I won't be taken seriously by people that don't understand how words work, so be it.

Superchargers: first off, I'm playing Devil's advocate because I do personally believe that having access to that network is huge for most people. HOWEVER, it really depends on who you are and where you live. Take where I am, for example. The network doesn't really support my area very well. I can go west to vancouver and east to Calgary. But I make WAY more trips south to the US than I do to either of those, and there's no superchargers at all south of me. Nor any planned. Really, superchargers are going to be an extremely small benefit to me except on very rare occasions. And I don't think I'm a super rare case. Despite the very impressive map, there are more places (even in the US) without superchargers than with. So there are a LOT of people that really aren't swayed that much by that feature. Really the vast majority of people don't *need* it, because 99% of their driving is within the range of the car. To all those people - on range alone - the Bolt and Leaf offer compelling alternatives.

To me personally, as I've said, the Bolt is off my list. The Leaf? I reserve judgement for its announcement in September. If I don't have my 3 by then, who knows? Probably not. But my next car is an EV, so if the 3 doesn't make sense then I'll have to look at the alternatives, and there are few right now.

The Model 3 can be your ONLY car. A Bolt and a Leaf cannot, so that sets them a world apart. The moment you use a supercharger just once over the lifetime of the car, you have done something impossible for other EVs.

I understand English just fine. Now let me teach you something. When you use the word competition in the same sentence that involves Bolt, Leaf and Model 3, it would be proper to put double quotes around the word competition.

For example, the Bolt, and Leaf are "competition" to the Model 3. So while yes, they are technically "competitors", they actually are not.

Long is also "relative". To me, long range is 200 miles of driving, charge for 25 minutes and drive another 185+. "Long" is not drive 100 miles and then go home.

Tesla only plans to increase super chargers, not reduce them so what may not be planned "today" would likely be planned in the near future.

The Bolt will always be an ugly econobox. The original Leaf looks like a Frog. We only have assurances that the new leaf will look "less like a Frog". Less like a Frog could mean looks like a tadpole. Or perhaps looks like a toad.

Finally, I'm not saying you can't be taken seriously by saying the Leaf and Bolt are "competition" to the 3. You said the 3 wasn't "any better". Now that is laughable.

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-31_1-23-32.png
    upload_2017-5-31_1-23-32.png
    2 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Reactions: Runt8
Despite being marketed as a 3-series/A4 killer, I think that the plan with Model 3 has always been to get drivers like me who have always bought, and would otherwise continue to buy, Hondas, Toyotas, and VWs to instead opt for an excellent electric alternative.

I love the Model S, but can't imagine ever spending even $60k on a people mover, sexy as it might be. But a $35k Tesla with a likely $7500 tax credit that brings the price into loaded Civic territory? Yes, please. Even better if I can eventually purchase a software unlock that will allow the car to drive itself after regulatory issues have been fleshed out!

Reactions: WarpedOne
Despite being marketed as a 3-series/A4 killer, I think that the plan with Model 3 has always been to get drivers like me who have always bought, and would otherwise continue to buy, Hondas, Toyotas, and VWs to instead opt for an excellent electric alternative.

I love the Model S, but can't imagine ever spending even $60k on a people mover, sexy as it might be. But a $35k Tesla with a likely $7500 tax credit that brings the price into loaded Civic territory? Yes, please. Even better if I can eventually purchase a software unlock that will allow the car to drive itself after regulatory issues have been fleshed out!
Well the idea in general is just to make EVs have mass acceptance. Building a car targeted/marketed towards a 3-series/A4 makes it more desirable at the $35k price point than building a car targeted/marketed towards economy cars while tacking on an EV premium. That's where I think the large automakers have failed in their EV strategy.

Reactions: 206er