Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 + Valentine 1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting my Model 3 this week. Was wondering if anyone has installed valentine 1 radar detector on the Model 3? Either hardwired or any other way.

My understanding is Model 3 doesn't have a OBDII port (?). I'm currently running V1 w/ bluetooth, powered through OBDII port.

I've searched on google but nothing has come up. Surprised not more people are running V1s given how fast the car is.

I hardwired mine. Blendmount + generic power cable. VCLEFT has an open 5mm spade that's 12v switched (and it's on/off *immediately* upon door open/shut).

I ground to a new threaded post I put below VCLEFT.

Cable was easily routed under the headliner, down the pillar on the driver side ... using a plastic wedge until I got to the pillar itself.

• Helpful
Reactions: R1Fast
I spoke to Valentine last week on the phone, turns out, EV cars rarely have a OBD II port so yes, the savvy ( which I have) will not work. I'm also trying to figure out how to hard wire the stealth mount and thread the power cable up to the mirror.

If you could post photos of your install I'd appreciate it.

As soon as it's available here is the mount of all mounts. I have their mount for my Highlander and while it's a different style it was suberb.

BlendMount Radar Detector Mount for Valentine One,Specialty 4014 Series

I prefer not clutter up the ultra clean look of the model 3. I also don’t like advertising to a cop, Tesla Service, or prying eyes that I have a hard wired radar detector.

So I did something different. This just pops off and you’d be hard pressed to know I have a hard wired detector in the car when I pop it off.

This really requires running an App with V1 (which is the only way I’d ever run a V1). I use V1Driver. The App doesn’t need to be always in view on the phone for full functionality, with auto muting and verbal alerts over the car radio. I never need to look at or touch my V1.

Check it out.

12V Switched Power in Rear (Radar Detector Install)

I'm not clear if I should tap off power below the dash using this :
HardTap Radar Detector HardWire Kit With In-line Fuse, RJ-11, 8' Long

Or from the ceiling lights above mirror with this :

MirrorTap MTX Series,Patented Power Cord,15" long,RJ-11, 2 Amp Inline Fuse with Military Grade Taps

Or just use the valentine kit that came in the box ( if I can find it from six years ago)

Ceiling lights is not an option, unless you don’t mind it’s always on. That’s partly why I tapped off the rear amp. I didn’t want service to see I tapped under the dash (best place for switched power in front). That was too obvious.

Tesla has been “voiding” warranties left and right for things like tinted windows. I’m not gonna chance my car get flagged as voiding warranty on “electronics”. I plan to take my V1 down and tuck wire behind sunscreen when I bring in for service. The only way service would find it is if they dug around the rear amp.

I went a different route for mounting my V1, eventually i will hardwire it but i like where its positioned. I have the cable tucked into the center console and powered with the 12v outlet.

IMG_7193.jpg

IMG_7224.jpg

IMG_7226.jpg

IMG_7227.jpg

mount from amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0721B4TW4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: preilly44