Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Valet Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When placed in valet mode, it only locks the glovebox and limits the speed to 70mph, correct? I am interested in seeing an upgrade to this function because my valet in my building constantly adds radio stations. As trivial as that is, its super annoying... trust me I spoke to management about it as well. Anyways, I just wish the valet mode was more custom. I would love to be able to set the speed myself (like the model S), lock down ALL settings, specifically adding radio stations!

If there is anything else I am missing that valet mode CURRENTLY does, please advise! Thank you!

Valet mode does a bit more than just limiting the speed and locking the glovebox, but it does not seem to restrict setting radio stations. I think it's completely inappropriate for the valet to do that and I wouldn't stop complaining.

Here's what valet mode does according to the manual:

"When Model 3 is in Valet mode, the following restrictions apply:
• Speed is limited to 70 mph (113 km/h).
• Maximum acceleration and power are limited.
• Front trunk and glovebox are locked.
• Home and Work locations are not available in the navigation system.
• Voice commands are disabled.
• Autopilot convenience features are disabled.
• The Allow Mobile Access setting is disabled.
• HomeLink (if applicable in your market region) is not accessible.
• Driver Profiles are not accessible.
• The touchscreen does not display the list of keys that can access Model 3 (see Managing Keys on page 10).
• Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are disabled. When Model 3 is in Valet mode, you cannot pair new Bluetooth devices or view or delete existing paired devices."

A simple solution to this would be for Tesla to have custom radio favorite lists based on the driver profile. I really don't understand why it doesn't work that way right now. That way I'd have my own favorites and my wife would have hers and if switched to valet mode then there would be a separate list of favorites for that and the valet wouldn't be able to do anything to the favorites lists on the other driver profiles. Although ideally yes I agree that in valet mode you shouldn't be able to add or remove any favorite stations at all.

We have loaner cars at our detail business and customers will frequently change the radio presets, this is no big deal because they have the loaner car for 4-6 hours while we're detailing their car, plus the loaner cars are not my personal daily drivers. But it always makes me wonder why in the world would someone go through the trouble of changing a preset in a loaner car when they're only driving it one day max. Oh well, no biggie.
However, a valet driver changing YOUR radio presets is amazingly horrible manners!! Like others have said, I would seriously continue complaining, that it totally inexcusable and really unnecessary. Still... makes me laugh at the silliness of some people's behavior and what they think is acceptable in a society.

Reactions: 1375mlm
Agree with the OP. Valet mode should allow the owner to adjust more settings, including max speed down to 5mph, lock trunk, lock all doors except driver, force chill mode, no changes of ANY settings, alert owner via app if driven for more then 5 miles, etc

I'm with you with all of them minus the 5mph. Especially here Los Angeles, specifically speaking of downtown, lots of restaraunts and bars/lounges have valets but have their lots either around the block or somewhere nearby where they have to drive on actual city streets to get to. Limiting them to 5mph would probably do more harm then good.

Last edited: