Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Vancouver to Winnipeg Beach for $71.00

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I thought I would share my 6,000 km (3,728 mi) Model 3 LR trip across the Canadian prairies (Vancouver to Winnipeg) for a total cost of $71.00 (US$53). I wanted to take on the challenge before the long-awaited Supercharging stations arrive on Hwy #1 to connect Canada.

British Columbia has multiple superchargers along Hwy #1 as does Alberta. The last one is in Fort McLeod AB. After that there are just Level 2 chargers until you hit Toronto! Basically, I quickly learned that you need to plug in for ~1.5 hours for every 100 km (62 mi) you want to travel when you are having to charge with Level 2's. Using the PlugShare App, I charged (and often slept) at a

· Lethbridge, AB, Peavey Mart.

· Best Western in Medicine Hat, AB

· remote start installation company (Superior Tech) in Swift Current, SK

· property restoration company (Winmar) in Moose Jaw, SK (Elon’s relatives live around the area)

· car dealership (Indian Head Chrysler) while staying with relatives in Indian Head, SK

· train station in Virden, MB

· relative’s home in Boissevain, MB (plugged into the stove’s 220 V socket for ~ 48 km/hr)

· park (Ryall Park) in Carman, MB

· relative’s cabin on Winnipeg Lake (trickle charge of 8 km/hr)

I took a different route back to Vancouver, BC with similar charging experiences – all L2’s were $0 cost; they just required a lot of wait time.

I learned a lot about how the prairie folk feel about EV’s. Most of the responses were extremely positive. The top three responses from family and friends, while accelerating in the Model 3, were:

· “Holy *sugar*! I’ve never felt this way!” (me either! Still after 13 months of driving the M3)

· “I feel that I’m in a rocket ship … when is it going to leave the ground?” (with the next update?)

· Just general screaming and laughing (these are my favourite moments)

I had total strangers come up and just start taking pictures.

On the flip side, there were some disturbing comments from friends. Top three were:

· “People with too much money buy something like this!” (ah, how about to reduce my carbon footprint!)

· “Why did you buy a sports car unless you’re driving fast all the time?” (of course, it’s not a sports car but an EV that just looks awesome, and goes fast!)

· “These would never work in the prairies!” (ah, yes, they do)

I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised by the negative reactions. Many companies and workers are going to suffer as the world electrifies everything. Guilt and envy are probably part of it as well. As with any disruptive innovation, there will be early adopters and late adopters and, of course, the resistors!

So maybe my next trip will be to Yellowknife, NT or Anchorage, AK!

Reactions: Phlier and KenC