Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MOdel 3 versions are so confusing!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get that Model S and Model X all have a max charge rate of 48 amps but it seems that Model 3 is available in a few different options or is just refereed in different models. I would like to get some clarification on the different models and which charge at 32 and 48 amps please.

Model 3 standard range
Model 3 mid range
Model 3 standard plus
Model 3 extended range
Model 3 long range
Model 3 Performance

Can someone here please explain which of these are 32amps max and 48 amps max? Also which of these are actually the same car but just being named differently. Im assuming extended range and long range are the same model correct?

I get that Model S and Model X all have a max charge rate of 48 amps but it seems that Model 3 is available in a few different options or is just refereed in different models. I would like to get some clarification on the different models and which charge at 32 and 48 amps please.

Basically: long range has 48A AC charging, others only have 32A.

32A AC charging:
Model 3 standard range - mainly-software-restricted version of the SR plus with the battery restricted and hardware disabled.
Model 3 standard plus
Model 3 mid range - (was a limited-run model made at the end of 2018, before they were manufacturing the SR)
---
Model 3 extended range - not a thing, just referring to the long range.
-
48A AC charging:
Model 3 long range
Model 3 Performance - a version of the long-range dual motor with better performance allowed.

Can someone here please explain which of these are 32amps max and 48 amps max? Also which of these are actually the same car but just being named differently. Im assuming extended range and long range are the same model correct?

That should cover it.

The Standard Range is software limited to 220 miles. From what I remember, the vehicle doesn't have live maps and fog lights enabled. The Standard Range Plus has 240miles, and a partial premium interior, standard maps/nav

Also standard range has no heated seats and standard plus has only front heated seats (I may have gotten that wrong, but there is some difference in seat heaters).

Also standard range with 220 miles not available in Canada, there's a 150km crippled standard available that people call the SR-. The standard range plus in Canada is the same as in the US though.

Reactions: Big Earl
Model 3 standard range
Model 3 mid range
Model 3 standard plus
Model 3 extended range
Model 3 long range
Model 3 Performance

It was pretty confusing before, but now we have only 3 versions of M3

Attachments

• Tesla-3-in-Canada.jpg
    Tesla-3-in-Canada.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 76
The Standard Range is software limited to 220 miles. From what I remember, the vehicle doesn't have live maps and fog lights enabled. The Standard Range Plus has 240miles, and a partial premium interior, standard maps/nav

Range: SR is software-limited to 220 miles of range compared to 240 for the SR Plus.

Also, the Interior:
Design Your Model 3 | Tesla

Click on the Partial Premium Interior to see what it adds.
Incorrect. In Canada Tesla made the "Standard Range" Model 3 to only 150km. Obviously a move to get people to get the $10K more SR+

Thanks all. So currently there is

Model 3 SR plus 32 amps max
Model 3 Long range 48 amps max
Model 3 Performance 48amps max

Is this correct?
Looks right to me.

FYI, as others have mentioned, even 32 amps (output of the mobile connector that ships with all the cars) will charge a Model 3 Long Range overnight.

32 amps adds 46 km/h and 48 amps adds 69 km/h. Even at 69 km/h you probably don't want to be waiting around for a charge plus a lot of public chargers max out at 30 amps.

Reactions: TechnoBabble
I wouldn't want to use the mobile connector for my daily charger, not a chance. I would always go with a wall charger that is hard wired. This happened to friends charger and it was professionally installed too.
Was not Tesla brand but still an EV.
Imgur

Professionally installed isn't always properly installed. There is no reason why that should ever happen. These outlets are the same ones used for stoves and dryers in almost every house in North America, drawing more or less the same amount of current.

It is perfectly safe to use these every day. Your friend clearly had a loose connection or some other form of high resistance on one of the hot legs in either the plug or the receptacle, causing it to melt. That plug you posted is a NEMA 14-30, rated for 30A max 24A continuous. 24A is not a crazy amount of current by any stretch. That's like the same power as 2 shopvacs. Something was defective or incorrectly installed here.

That being said, the hardwired charger does indeed remove a potential point of failure as the plug *may* eventually succumb to wear and tear after hundreds if not thousands of insertion cycles. But, there's nothing stopping someone from having a loose connection in a hardwired charger either. You can find pictures of burned up wall connectors too from bad installation.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/img_3417-jpeg.361349/

Last edited:
Reactions: corlaandstan
I wouldn't want to use the mobile connector for my daily charger, not a chance. I would always go with a wall charger that is hard wired. This happened to friends charger and it was professionally installed too.
Was not Tesla brand but still an EV.
Imgur
Hard wired chargers can have similar failures (e.g. melting terminal blocks). I might be concerned if I regularly plugged/unplugged the mobile connector (higher chance it's not plugged in fully and/or wear on the plug/socket) but I haven't once unplugged mine in the 4.5 months I've had my car. In addition, the Tesla connector is designed to detect a fault before things got to the stage in that picture. (My understanding is, among other things, it has a micro-controller and temperature sensor in the plug.)

Anyhow, my original point was just that 32 amp vs 48 amp won't make much difference if you're charging overnight. On the road it might be the difference between waiting for a long time or a longer time, and that's assuming you find a charger that will do 48 amps.

On the other hand, if you're worried about things melting, the 32 amp charge rate would make that less likely.

If you're wondering about which hard wired charger to install, I'd say get the Tesla HPWC, because there are reports of the J1772 to Tesla adapter melting. Then it's just a matter of how many amps to wire the circuit for. For that, there should not be much difference in cost for the work and materials, so I'd say do the most your service can support.

Reactions: corlaandstan
If you're worrying about unplugging the mobile connector, just get an extra 14-50 adapter and always leave it in the socket, in 10 months of model 3 ownership I've only unplugged it once. This might vary by where you live and where you are going.

As for the j1772 connector, I've only heard of them melting on public stations outdoors, could have been full of dirt, stated carrying a can or compressed air in the trunk as the public charger near my work I've found the plugs get dirty if people drop them on the grass or snow.

Reactions: bolero