Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Vibration Noise from Steering Column Plastic Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Short version: Does anyone know how to remove the plastic cover that goes around the Model 3’s steering column?

Long version: A month or 2 ago the plastic cover around the steering column on my Model 3 started occasionally making an annoying “vibration” noise (can’t think of a better way to describe it) while driving at low speeds — mainly around 10-20 mph. It’s almost like the car is hitting some resonant frequency that is causing the cover to vibrate and emit this noise. (I’m pretty certain this cover is the source of the noise since pressing on it stops the noise.)

The noise is not consistently reproducible, so if there’s any way to attempt to fix it myself, I’d prefer that over scheduling a service appointment. However, despite searching online, I haven’t figured out how to remove the cover, which I’m assuming is a necessary first step to fix the noise. (There’s a single screw on the underside of the cover that’s accessible, but removing that screw doesn’t appear to allow the cover to be removed.)

Here’s an audio recording of the noise that I recorded with my phone while driving at low speeds and uploaded to Youtube. (This is a particularly severe example, and I’m holding the phone right next to the cover, so it sounds a bit louder here than in real life.)

And here’s a photo of the cover by itself from an ebay listing:

upload_2020-1-27_22-19-35.png

In the meantime, I’ve wrapped a Velcro strap tightly around the plastic cover, which does a pretty good job at preventing the noise. But that’s just a band-aid solution and I’d prefer a more professional and permanent fix.

Any help or insights would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Short version: Does anyone know how to remove the plastic cover that goes around the Model 3’s steering column?

Long version: A month or 2 ago the plastic cover around the steering column on my Model 3 started occasionally making an annoying “vibration” noise (can’t think of a better way to describe it) while driving at low speeds — mainly around 10-20 mph. It’s almost like the car is hitting some resonant frequency that is causing the cover to vibrate and emit this noise. (I’m pretty certain this cover is the source of the noise since pressing on it stops the noise.)

The noise is not consistently reproducible, so if there’s any way to attempt to fix it myself, I’d prefer that over scheduling a service appointment. However, despite searching online, I haven’t figured out how to remove the cover, which I’m assuming is a necessary first step to fix the noise. (There’s a single screw on the underside of the cover that’s accessible, but removing that screw doesn’t appear to allow the cover to be removed.)

Here’s an audio recording of the noise that I recorded with my phone while driving at low speeds and uploaded to Youtube. (This is a particularly severe example, and I’m holding the phone right next to the cover, so it sounds a bit louder here than in real life.)

And here’s a photo of the cover by itself from an ebay listing:

View attachment 505006

In the meantime, I’ve wrapped a Velcro strap tightly around the plastic cover, which does a pretty good job at preventing the noise. But that’s just a band-aid solution and I’d prefer a more professional and permanent fix.

Any help or insights would be appreciated. Thanks! :)
Had the same issue that I diagnosed by wrapping painters tape tightly around it. I took it to SC and they opened it and put foam and felt tape so that there was no more plastic on plastic contact and thus no more rattle.

Quick update:

The noise largely* went away a couple months ago with the arrival of warmer temperatures. (*It still happens on rare occasion, but is much reduced from the winter.)

But I had a service appointment last weekend for an unrelated issue, and since I expect the noise to return this fall/winter, I asked if they could do anything about this issue at the same time. I provided all the background info that I could, including the audio clip and descriptions in this thread. However, they (predictably) were unable to reproduce the noise and therefore took no action. They said I could bring it back in if/when it returns next winter though.

Till then, I'm sure my velcro strap fix will continue to suffice.

Reactions: Transformer
Any updates on this issue? I have the exact same problem. I have a mobile service appointment but it's a month away. Looks easy enough to fix myself, if I can determine how to get the plastic steering column casing off.

Any updates on this issue? I have the exact same problem. I have a mobile service appointment but it's a month away. Looks easy enough to fix myself, if I can determine how to get the plastic steering column casing off.

Nope. I never figured out how to get the plastic cover off, and Tesla was unable to reproduce the noise during a service appointment, so I’ve just lived with my Velcro strap “fix”. Every once in a while the noise will reappear, and I’ll just slide the strap up towards the steering wheel a bit to silence it. (The cover has a tapered shape that gets larger closer to the steering wheel, so sliding the strap towards the steering wheel effectively tightens its squeeze on the cover.)

If you find any better solutions, please share.

• Informative
I figured out how how to get open the cover...
-put wheel low and extended
-remove single screw on bottom with torx screwdriver
-cowl is held together by snaps /clips. I started prying it apart at the area farthest from the wheel then popped the snaps by rotating a flathead screwdriver in the crack.
-I didn't totally remove it, but I applied small swedges of adhesive felt near the clips and also lubricated some clip areas... Not sure if that solved the problem yet but it's my impression that the plastic interface was the squeak and rattle noise, we'll see

A thread from the past rises!
Any more dash noise fixes?
2021 LR 4WD purchased 12/20/20. It has 1,558 miles. About two weeks ago a rattle started in the dash above the steering wheel or the drivers side A pillar? It is not a rubbing noise, but sounds like something came loose and is hitting against something.

I too am figuring out how to open this up. Seems like no one has done that yet. I'm currently looking at it now and trying to pry it up. My concern is damaging it due to not knowing exactly where the contact clips are located.

Does it sound similar to this noise? I have a 2020 model 3 LR, and I can't pinpoint it. Sounds like it's coming from the steering wheel. This isn't my video, but the sound is 100% identical. I found it on a reddit forum, apparent it was fixed but the OP doesn't know what exactly the SC had done to fix it.

There is a screw underneath the plastic column in the middle (feel with your hand underneath when sitting in the drivers seat, there is a dip in the plastic to make room for it). I tightened it and I haven't had the noise since. You guys should give it a try and see if it helps.

I hope it doesn't return *knock on wood*

There is a screw underneath the plastic column in the middle (feel with your hand underneath when sitting in the drivers seat, there is a dip in the plastic to make room for it). I tightened it and I haven't had the noise since. You guys should give it a try and see if it helps.

Glad that fixed it for you. But that isn't the root cause in my case.

Just came across this thread, but had the issue with the plastic steering column shroud making noise while driving on imperfect roads. This was about 1.5 years ago and I fixed it by stuffing a piece of foam under the plastic shroud at the base of the steering column. It basically puts pressure between the bottom half of the plastic and the steering column insulating material.

Mine won't go any tighter.

I figured out how how to get open the cover...
-put wheel low and extended
-remove single screw on bottom with torx screwdriver
-cowl is held together by snaps /clips. I started prying it apart at the area farthest from the wheel then popped the snaps by rotating a flathead screwdriver in the crack.
-I didn't totally remove it, but I applied small swedges of adhesive felt near the clips and also lubricated some clip areas... Not sure if that solved the problem yet but it's my impression that the plastic interface was the squeak and rattle noise, we'll see

Can you help us out please with more details on how to open the shroud, where to put felt, and where to put lubrication? Was it Krytox lube?

Can anyone else here report on opening their results with the shroud? I find that squeezing it makes related sounds but doesn't stop the rattling.

For the record, it's a Torx T20 screwdriver.

With the steering wheel at its lowest and longest position, I removed the Torx T20 screw then tried to pry apart the cowl without damaging it. It didn't open, not even a crack enough to insert some silicone gel lube.

I stuffed some foam in the lower back end but the cover parts still make the same sound when moving them by hand.