Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 VIN build info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vin decoders are not going to be accurate for a 2018 model 3. It will not have a LFP battery if that is the question, but they should be listing exactly what model it is (Standard Range (SR), Standard Range + (SR+) or Limited edition Mid range (LEMR). Those are the only "RWD 2018 model 3" vehicle options.

EDIT: As pointed out by @RayK I forgot to add the Long Range model (LR).

A 2018 will not have come standard with autopilot as that did not exist as a separate package at that time. It would have had (standard) either nothing, enhanced autopilot, or Full self driving as a software option. "what it had standard" from the factory is only really matters if you are buying directly from the original owner, though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@7gregory

Your best bet would be to ask the seller for a snapshot from the Software section, like this:

Model3.jpg

Ignore the color of the car. My daughter's boyfriend was playing around with the color wheel a couple of weeks ago and I just left it.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Upvote 0
Vin decoders are not going to be accurate for a 2018 model 3. It will not have a LFP battery if that is the question, but they should be listing exactly what model it is (Standard Range (SR), Standard Range + (SR+) or Limited edition Mid range (LEMR). Those are the only "RWD 2018 model 3" vehicle options.

EDIT: As pointed out by @RayK I forgot to add the Long Range model (LR).

A 2018 will not have come standard with autopilot as that did not exist as a separate package at that time. It would have had (standard) either nothing, enhanced autopilot, or Full self driving as a software option. "what it had standard" from the factory is only really matters if you are buying directly from the original owner, though.
Ok. Thank you for the info. I buy salvage cars at the Copart auction to rebuild and resell and getting into my first Tesla so trying to learn what I could be buying from the very limited info I have.

Upvote 0
Ok. Thank you for the info. I buy salvage cars at the Copart auction to rebuild and resell and getting into my first Tesla so trying to learn what I could be buying from the very limited info I have.

Then you should know that tesla disables all fast DC charging (eventually) on salvage vehicles, making a salvage tesla much much less desirable to most prospective owners. Its not like an ICE vehicle where people wont really understand what salvage vehicle means, and its fairly easy to "hand wave" the branded title away.

You should go into that eyes wide open that DC fast charging (basically superchargers, EA charging stations, etc) will usually be off the table for anyone you sell a car to, and if they dont know that ahead of time they are going to be maaaaaaaddddd.

• Helpful
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Upvote 0
If it is a salvage, and you are going to get into it, you might as well get to know your closest service center. They will be able to pull the vin and tell you.

There will be vin restricted parts for the rebuild you will have to go to them to obtain, so a good relationship with them will be part of your plan in any case. I am sure you have a similar experience for other brands.

It depends on where you live for what options you have with service centers. If you have a couple of options, you may find one to be more supportive than others.

Upvote 0
If it is a salvage, and you are going to get into it, you might as well get to know your closest service center. They will be able to pull the vin and tell you.

There will be vin restricted parts for the rebuild you will have to go to them to obtain, so a good relationship with them will be part of your plan in any case. I am sure you have a similar experience for other brands.

It depends on where you live for what options you have with service centers. If you have a couple of options, you may find one to be more supportive than others.
Yes. Very good advice. We buy lots of salvage vehicles so may have to get a couple model 3’s to make a good one.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
Upvote 0