TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 VIN - But what does it really indicate?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by noicepls, May 4, 2018.

1. noicepls

noicepls Member

What EXACTLY does it mean when Tesla updates your account page with the VIN for the Model 3 that was ordered?

I am looking for help to demystify this "achievement" as there are so many unsubstantiated opinions out there, e.g. that VINs are assigned before build/after build/during build/after paint/before paint/just before shipment/ etc. Knowing the truth would narrow down where in the production/assembly/shipping phase my car might be!

2. leftyguitarman

My VIN is in the 11700s. I got the car 8 days ago. They sent me the VIN when they said I would have the car in 3 to 5 weeks. This is great car. Already put over 1k miles on it.

3. Brando

Brando Active Member

VIN number details [VIN number decoder] AND many other great facts about Tesla vehicles:

teslatap.com

VIN numbers are registered - which helps with recalls - then Tesla assigns a VIN to a customers order (configuration) and then this order gets into the manufacturing que and later you are delivered your car.

For many more details search:
    vin number registration

• Like x 1
  4. yabuki

yabuki New Member

Interesting, it's been over 4.5 weeks from config and I still haven't gotten my VIN. However, when I call Tesla, they tell me I'll still most likely get the car within the 6-week timeframe from config to delivery that was stated when I configured.

5. Mxbzz

Mxbzz Member

I received an instant VIN when I configured on 4/7, and took delivery 8 days later. In my experience, getting assigned a VIN means your vehicle has been completely built.

Paperwork shows my TM3 was built in April as well. VIN 156XX.

• Helpful x 1