Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

gjunky

Trifecta: Solar and both cars are EVs
Mar 26, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Nice find. Waiting for the first VIN number spy /reveal pictures now. We don't need the last digits but it will be interesting to see if there are any performance models / dual motor versions coming of the line soon (not expected I know)

UCIBtheG

Oct 10, 2016
Elk Grove, CA
Surprised nobody has mentioned the inclusion of a VIN code for a single motor performance version. Was that ever confirmed anywhere? Or is that sort of just a carryover from the Model S when such a configuration was available?

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
I think the assumption was that motors 1,2,3,4 were all for Model S & X.

Then comments that new motors A & B are not performance variants.

So, speculation that we won't see a performance Model 3 until next year.
( This was the 2017 VIN decoder document. )

I suppose they could build a performance Model 3 using a Model S/X motor, but I kind of doubt that.

lalaland

Banned
Mar 27, 2017
boston
Is there a way to obtain vehicle info using a VIN decoder? any examples for model s , x
user fills out VIN and the system provides vehicle info. Any suggestions if there is a Database?

FutureTSLACEO

Apr 22, 2017
West Coast

The unique serial number can contain up to 6 digits, which means up to the value "999999"... So based on the VIN, theoretically, TSLA could produce up to 999999 of Model 3 cars (same configuration like one-motor standard, and all produced in Fremont) in that year alone. Adding dual-motor, then it'd be 2 million of Model 3 cars in that year alone (who knows, year 2020?). The VIN is well-designed to consider maximum production output.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Generally speaking, the sequence number keeps incrementing regardless of the options indicators that proceed it. So there wouldn't likely be a RWD and AWD both with the same sequence number for instance. If they ever get to making a million model 3 per year then they might need to be more creative, but I doubt they will run into that limit.

FutureTSLACEO

Apr 22, 2017
West Coast
Generally speaking, the sequence number keeps incrementing regardless of the options indicators that proceed it. So there wouldn't likely be a RWD and AWD both with the same sequence number for instance. If they ever get to making a million model 3 per year then they might need to be more creative, but I doubt they will run into that limit.
I see. Thanks for the clarification. In that case, they could use more letters for the site production digit, like letter F and G representing the Fremont plant if they are able to ramp up to more than a million model 3 per year.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
It looks like all 2017 (Model 3) VINs will share 10/17 characters:
5YJ3E1EA?HF######

Digit 7: Fuel Type
E = Electric
Not sure what to make of this.

Also, any thoughts on these different characters for the same values (see italic and underline pairs)?
Digit 6: Restraint System
1= Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*3) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
A = Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*3, TR*2) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
B = Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*2, TR*2) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
D= Type 2 Manual Seatbelts (FR, SR*3) with front airbags. PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
Digit 8: Motor/Drive Unit
1= Single Motor – Standard
3= Single Motor - Performance
2 = Dual Motor (standard)
4 = Dual Motor (performance)
A= Single Motor – Standard
B= Dual Motor - Standard

Lastly, perhaps the variation in the presence of a space before the equals sign tells us something as well. Internal edits of the document at different phases.

Last edited:

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
I had been assuming that 1/2/3/4 motor options were carryover from Model S/X and wouldn't apply to 3.
When they come out with performance Model 3 (in 2018?) they might add some new letter codes like C & D.
The above VIN info is just for the 2017 year, and there are no performance models yet.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
2018 update (credit to electric_drive for noticing):
Model3-2018-vin1.jpg

Model3-2018-vin2.jpg

Nice of them to clarify the motor type codes.

• Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney

favo

P3D+ owner
Apr 5, 2012
Durham, NC
I'm a little disappointed they don't have the Model 3 (Dual) Performance motor on there yet. Back to waiting patiently for any tidbit of info...

shokunin

P85 & M3
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2012
Irvine, CA
I'm a little disappointed they don't have the Model 3 (Dual) Performance motor on there yet. Back to waiting patiently for any tidbit of info...

The S/X performance dual motor uses a different rear motor than the standard dual motor. I'm guessing the Model 3 performance will likely use the same motor as the standard, but simply allow a higher power output on both motors than standard.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC