Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 VIN Decoder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice find. Waiting for the first VIN number spy /reveal pictures now. We don't need the last digits but it will be interesting to see if there are any performance models / dual motor versions coming of the line soon (not expected I know)

I think the assumption was that motors 1,2,3,4 were all for Model S & X.

Then comments that new motors A & B are not performance variants.

So, speculation that we won't see a performance Model 3 until next year.
( This was the 2017 VIN decoder document. )

I suppose they could build a performance Model 3 using a Model S/X motor, but I kind of doubt that.

The unique serial number can contain up to 6 digits, which means up to the value "999999"... So based on the VIN, theoretically, TSLA could produce up to 999999 of Model 3 cars (same configuration like one-motor standard, and all produced in Fremont) in that year alone. Adding dual-motor, then it'd be 2 million of Model 3 cars in that year alone (who knows, year 2020?). The VIN is well-designed to consider maximum production output.

Generally speaking, the sequence number keeps incrementing regardless of the options indicators that proceed it. So there wouldn't likely be a RWD and AWD both with the same sequence number for instance. If they ever get to making a million model 3 per year then they might need to be more creative, but I doubt they will run into that limit.

Generally speaking, the sequence number keeps incrementing regardless of the options indicators that proceed it. So there wouldn't likely be a RWD and AWD both with the same sequence number for instance. If they ever get to making a million model 3 per year then they might need to be more creative, but I doubt they will run into that limit.
I see. Thanks for the clarification. In that case, they could use more letters for the site production digit, like letter F and G representing the Fremont plant if they are able to ramp up to more than a million model 3 per year.

It looks like all 2017 (Model 3) VINs will share 10/17 characters:
5YJ3E1EA?HF######

Digit 7: Fuel Type
E = Electric
Not sure what to make of this.

Also, any thoughts on these different characters for the same values (see italic and underline pairs)?
Digit 6: Restraint System
1= Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*3) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
A = Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*3, TR*2) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
B = Type 2 manual seatbelts (FR, SR*2, TR*2) with front airbags, PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
D= Type 2 Manual Seatbelts (FR, SR*3) with front airbags. PODS, side inflatable restraints, knee airbags (FR)
Digit 8: Motor/Drive Unit
1= Single Motor – Standard
3= Single Motor - Performance
2 = Dual Motor (standard)
4 = Dual Motor (performance)
A= Single Motor – Standard
B= Dual Motor - Standard

Lastly, perhaps the variation in the presence of a space before the equals sign tells us something as well. Internal edits of the document at different phases.

Last edited:
I had been assuming that 1/2/3/4 motor options were carryover from Model S/X and wouldn't apply to 3.
When they come out with performance Model 3 (in 2018?) they might add some new letter codes like C & D.
The above VIN info is just for the 2017 year, and there are no performance models yet.

2018 update (credit to electric_drive for noticing):
Model3-2018-vin1.jpg

Model3-2018-vin2.jpg

Nice of them to clarify the motor type codes.

• Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
I'm a little disappointed they don't have the Model 3 (Dual) Performance motor on there yet. Back to waiting patiently for any tidbit of info...

The S/X performance dual motor uses a different rear motor than the standard dual motor. I'm guessing the Model 3 performance will likely use the same motor as the standard, but simply allow a higher power output on both motors than standard.