TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model 3 VIN Decoder

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by TEG, Jul 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Attached Files:

• Informative x 8
    • Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  2. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

Nice find. Waiting for the first VIN number spy /reveal pictures now. We don't need the last digits but it will be interesting to see if there are any performance models / dual motor versions coming of the line soon (not expected I know)

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

• Like x 2
  4. UCIBtheG

UCIBtheG Member

Surprised nobody has mentioned the inclusion of a VIN code for a single motor performance version. Was that ever confirmed anywhere? Or is that sort of just a carryover from the Model S when such a configuration was available?

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I think the assumption was that motors 1,2,3,4 were all for Model S & X.

Then comments that new motors A & B are not performance variants.

So, speculation that we won't see a performance Model 3 until next year.
    ( This was the 2017 VIN decoder document. )

I suppose they could build a performance Model 3 using a Model S/X motor, but I kind of doubt that.

6. lalaland

lalaland New Member

Is there a way to obtain vehicle info using a VIN decoder? any examples for model s , x
    user fills out VIN and the system provides vehicle info. Any suggestions if there is a Database?

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

8. FutureTSLACEO

FutureTSLACEO Member

The unique serial number can contain up to 6 digits, which means up to the value "999999"... So based on the VIN, theoretically, TSLA could produce up to 999999 of Model 3 cars (same configuration like one-motor standard, and all produced in Fremont) in that year alone. Adding dual-motor, then it'd be 2 million of Model 3 cars in that year alone (who knows, year 2020?). The VIN is well-designed to consider maximum production output.

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Generally speaking, the sequence number keeps incrementing regardless of the options indicators that proceed it. So there wouldn't likely be a RWD and AWD both with the same sequence number for instance. If they ever get to making a million model 3 per year then they might need to be more creative, but I doubt they will run into that limit.

10. FutureTSLACEO

FutureTSLACEO Member

I see. Thanks for the clarification. In that case, they could use more letters for the site production digit, like letter F and G representing the Fremont plant if they are able to ramp up to more than a million model 3 per year.

11. Stephen_Brown_II

Also, these could be in Hexadecimal, so FFFFFF would be 16,777,215 in decimal, quite enough for a long long time, I think. (At least 16 years, probably. :p)

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#12 brianman, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    It looks like all 2017 (Model 3) VINs will share 10/17 characters:
    5YJ3E1EA?HF######

Not sure what to make of this.

Also, any thoughts on these different characters for the same values (see italic and underline pairs)?
    Lastly, perhaps the variation in the presence of a space before the equals sign tells us something as well. Internal edits of the document at different phases.

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I had been assuming that 1/2/3/4 motor options were carryover from Model S/X and wouldn't apply to 3.
    When they come out with performance Model 3 (in 2018?) they might add some new letter codes like C & D.
    The above VIN info is just for the 2017 year, and there are no performance models yet.

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

2018 update (credit to electric_drive for noticing):
    Model3-2018-vin1.jpg
    Model3-2018-vin2.jpg

Nice of them to clarify the motor type codes.

15. favo

favo Model 3 Reservation Holder

I'm a little disappointed they don't have the Model 3 (Dual) Performance motor on there yet. Back to waiting patiently for any tidbit of info...

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

They can update and add it later if they need