Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 vs. 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this a couple of days ago over in the Model 3 forum and forgot to post it in this forum as well since I'm comparing the two cars and trying to decide which one to keep longer term as each has advantages and disadvantages. Of course at some point I'd like to actually see and drive a Model 3 in person before having to make the decision on whether or not to go through with my reservation. Here is the other topic I posted, feel free to answer either place, I will monitor both. TIA for any and all suggestions!

2013 P85+ vs. Model 3

Lol. It's not really a fair question. Maybe an AP1 S vs a Model 3. The pre-AP Model S isn't a great value vs any AP2 Tesla. I mean any Tesla. Limited upgrades, limited warranty, parts failing sooner vs a new car.
So from there; why would I buy a 5 year old vehicle vs a new if the price was similar.

Still loving ours with over 55K miles now...
----
Sethsla, Feb 28, 2016
A Great CPO Experience

This past September we bought a CPO 2013 Model S 85 from Tesla. The Vin range is 17000 and was built in September 2013. The Tesla staff in Southern Cal restored this car to as nearly new as they could and IT IS AMAZING! Most people believe its a new car until we tell them about it. I have had 2 loaner Model S cars since purchase as they first restored our car's finish and then replaced our motor at the very first mention we made of minor whirring sounds. They also addressed any few minor issues that we bought up. There are no creaks, squeaks, or rattles in ours. We are beyond happy with the car, its amazing performance and the first class customer service. We've never owned a car as fine as this one. I am sure your experience will be similar if you opt to buy a CPO.

Hope that helps.

From this thread

Lol. It's not really a fair question. Maybe an AP1 S vs a Model 3. The pre-AP Model S isn't a great value vs any AP2 Tesla. I mean any Tesla. Limited upgrades, limited warranty, parts failing sooner vs a new car.
So from there; why would I buy a 5 year old vehicle vs a new if the price was similar.

You've never driven a + suspension then.

Think BMW M3 level road-gripping.

I would pick a non-AP S P85+ over any Model 3.

Reactions: Fiver and KManS

Maybe I wasn't clear in the initial posting but we are talking a 2013 P85PLUS, with only 20,000 miles on it and a full 4 year 50,000 mile CPO warranty so from a warranty standpoint both cars would be similar. This week a buddy of mine came through with his Model X P100D and he complained about how his AP2 wanders all over the lane on the highway and at times won't engage at all and roadside assistance had no resolution other than to say that it happens sometimes but usually clears itself up if not take to a service center. While I am sure someday AP will get there, not having it today doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me.

You've never driven a + suspension then.

Think BMW M3 level road-gripping.

I would pick a non-AP S P85+ over any Model 3.

Well I would concur, of all the Teslas I have driven the P85+ was the most sportscar/sports sedan like of them all. Granted I haven't driven a Model 3 yet and maybe I can just push back my reservation and wait to see if there is a 2 wheel drive P version coming or if it will be AWD only as I suspect will be the case.

As a comparison the handling on a P90D felt numb and slow compared to my P85+ to the point where I thought something was wrong with it. :)

I would go for the P85+. I moved up from a 2012 S85 to a 2016 90D and autopilot has been a disappointment so far. I do like the greater range, better acceleration, and other new features. The P85+ with warranty would be a lot of fun.

Reactions: KManS