TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model 3 vs BMW 3 series (Verge)

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by gowthamn, Aug 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. gowthamn

gowthamn Science

Tesla’s Model 3 isn’t a luxury car, but it’s priced like one

Their main complaint
    If you purchase a standard Tesla Model 3, the seats must be manually adjusted, as will the steering column. The side mirrors aren’t powered or heated, and there’s no auto dimming. There are no LED fog lamps, and if you want a covered storage area in the center console, you must pay extra.
    These features are statndrd in a BMW 3 series.

2. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

It's a dumb article. The BMW also doesn't come with a backup camera and parking sensors, crash avoidance, navigation, and even 18" wheels are a premium.

Who wouldn't trade LED fog lamps, power seats, heated/dimming mirrors, and center console storage for a backup camera, parking sensors, crash avoidance, navigation, etc? And if you want all of those things it's only $5k, and that also gets you a glass roof and other things, while bringing up the BMW to the base Model 3's stats raises its price to $43k. The Model 3 is also roomier and faster.

Ignoring rebates, how cheap it is to operate, etc, etc.

3. gowthamn

gowthamn Science

#3 gowthamn, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    I agree. But am surprised the Tesla has manual seat adjustments!! By default. 3 series has it standard. Overall model 3 has better default features.

4. KarenRei

#4 KarenRei, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Power seats are part of PUP. Honestly, I'd personally rather not have the weight (and ability to break) of power seating and may end up asking whether it can be left out if I decide to get PUP... but I know not everyone is like me. Going with power seating may cost you 1-2km in range due to the added weight. Not a ton, but why sacrifice at all for something that's used so infrequently and which is dealt with so easily manually?

5. Runt8

Runt8 Member

Technically we don’t know what type of seats the base model will have. Might be manual, or could be some number of automatic adjustments less than 12.

6. myusername

myusername Active Member

if the base model M3 didn't come with seats at all you'd be like... "oh man... look at all that room... how genius!"... always a justification.

how about this... why didn't they simply put more into the base model instead of people being required to pay 10k to 15k more to get the advertised features at reveal #1?... I thought the M3 was supposed to be completely profitable at 35k?

• Disagree x 2
  7. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Technically we do know:
    - standard: 6 way manually adjustable textile seats
    - upgrade: 12 way power adjustable vegan-leather seats

8. KarenRei

@myusername, you don't know me, so let me help you out. I was an early reservation holder for Aptera. Efficiency means a ton to me. The very reason that I gave the Model 3 a second look was because I saw how low of a drag coefficient Tesla was aiming for. I also wish the vehicle was narrower, shorter, longer, had an egg-shaped front-end, rear taper to a line, and shrouded wheels so that it would get its drag area down to half of what it is today, and same with weight reduction through foam or honeycomb-core composites.

So when I tell you that I'd rather they not hurt efficiency for a feature I'd almost never use and which manual works just fine on, believe me that I mean it. If they had an option for hammock seating I'd take it so long as it passed crash testing.

9. Runt8

Runt8 Member

Has the 6 way manually adjustable seats been confirmed?

10. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

It's a little weird comparison since as far as I knew, a 320i doesn't come with power seats or leather either. A base model 320i is not as nice as a Camry or Accord for the same amount of money.

Now, if they are going to make the argument that a loaded 320i tops out at $47k and a loaded 3 tops out in the mid-50s, OK, but I am not sure that you can get radar cruise control in a BMW 320i, so the 3 is actually offering more for the extra $$.

But, I guess this is the same arguments people made against the Bolt: "it's too expensive for what it is" when you can buy a Fit for way less than you will ever save in gas. Now it's the 3's turn.

I will say that most likely more people will be willing to test drive a 3 vs a Bolt and experience the magic that is an electric drivetrain. So I think the 3 will probably made a bigger dent in EV adoption even if people don't buy one because it's too expensive. They might then go buy a used Bolt when they would have never considered EV before.

• Like x 1