Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 vs Deer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rough. No reaction from the car it appears? Poor deer, poor car. I suspect that the deer may not survive, but we can hope.

If you're not having any sensor issues probably nothing has to be replaced. A full repair will probably be about $3-5k - looks like some pieces flew off so I assume there are a few clips and things broken, and stuff adds up pretty quickly. It's a comprehensive claim, so won't have much/any impact on your rates. Hopefully your comprehensive deductible is low. The good thing is you can continue to drive in the meantime until the parts are ready to go. If you want a full repair, of course.

I live by deer. The deer crossing sign should literally be in front of my house. With the crossing lines painted in the street.

We have learned When you see one, slow or stop. There are usually two... or three. Or five. We can tell time by when we see them. Just after sunrise and before sunset.

Reactions: Gwgan and nogajim
Were you on autopilot at the time? If so, It doesn't appear the car slowed when the first deer crossed. If not, where there is one, another is usually running behind, as in this case.
+1
We were just talking this morning, about whether deer would be spotted by the car and if the car would slow or stop if on AP at the time. Would really like to know before Bambi tries to do a triple gainer or such.

• Funny
Reactions: Kleenerth3
Autopilot was not on on this drive. As soon as I saw the deer, I was applying full braking and had slowed down to about 10-15 mph when I hit the deer. The deer on the other hand was at a full sprint which propelled it through the air that far. The Model 3 was perfectly stable stopping. I just needed another few feet.

I was guessing it'll be $3-4k to fix it. My deductible isn't bad. It'll just be a bit of an effort to find a auto body shop in Durham / Raleigh, NC that'll wok on it. I'll start looking for them Monday unless anyone else has experience with a good shop in this area.

Were you on autopilot at the time? If so, It doesn't appear the car slowed when the first deer crossed. If not, where there is one, another is usually running behind, as in this case.

I can't speak for the OP, but Autopilot definitely does NOT see NJ deer.
I've almost taken out one earlier this spring (had to brake and swerve behind it onto the shoulder), during the mating season. That was soon after I got the TM3, when I still had way too much trust in AP.

Not detecting wildlife is one of numerous AP limitations.
Adjust your expectations and behavior patterns accordingly.