Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 vs Model S 85 Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Runt8

May 19, 2017
Colorado
I recently was given a Model S 85 as a loaner for almost a week when my Model 3 was getting some work done. Since it seems to be fairly common for people to try to decide between buying a new Model 3 or a used Model S, I figured it would be useful to post a subjective comparison between the two.

The two cars are:
  1. A blue 2018 Long Range Dual Motor Model 3, delivered at the end of September, with EAP and (just recently) FSD, 18” aero wheels, black interior.
  2. A dark blue 2015 (?) Model S 85 with ~45,000 miles, AP1, panoramic sunroof.
Also note, many of the “negatives” I have with the Model S have been fixed in newer versions. I’m specifically comparing a Model 3 to an older Model S, since price-wise they are more similar.

• OverDriving - the Model 3 is definitely more fun to drive. As this is one of the slower Model S’s, my Model 3 actually accelerates faster. Being a Tesla, the Model S is no slouch, but it drives like a quick large sedan. Obviously the Model 3 is better around the turns. Also, the steering wheel in the S felt gigantic. For spirited driving, no contest here, Model 3 wins.
  • Ride/Noise - the Model S had a softer ride, which was nice for cruising on the highway. I prefer a stiffer suspension so I like the Model 3 better. My dad, who always drives Lexus’s, preferred the S and thinks my 3 is too rough. Around town the Model S was quieter - less wind and tire noise. However, on the highway the wind noise picked up and was actually louder than on my 3. I think this is due to the sunroof as most of the noise was coming from there.
  • Autopilot - AP1 on the Model S seems very capable for what it does. I had no problems with it on the highway both in heavy and light traffic. I didn’t see much difference between it and AP2.5 on my Model 3 in terms of usability. Being a temporary loaner, I didn’t try to really find the boundaries of its capabilities. My biggest concern would be the fact that it’s no longer being actively developed, so what it currently does is all it’s ever going to do. One of my favorite things about my Model 3 is watching it get better over time, so for that reason alone I give the Model 3 the win.
  • Interior
    • Trunk space - obviously the Model S wins here in a landslide. The trunk is absolutely cavernous compared to my Model 3. I also really like the automatic lift-gate (although that is mostly useful when used in conjunction with the key fob; one of my favorite things about the Model 3 is no key fob :confused:).
    • Comfort - the Model S seats are less comfortable than the Model 3, for me. They have much less side bolster support and felt less supple. The Model S has more space side to side, and slightly more leg-room in the back, but less headroom. I actually had a harder time getting in to the Model S due to the lower roof, and I hit my head a couple times on the front cross-member. I think this is a testament to how awesome of a job Tesla did on the Model 3 that it doesn’t feel much smaller on the inside. I give the slight edge to the Model 3.
    • Controls - when I first saw the Model 3 I was disappointed at the lack of a second screen behind the steering wheel. I thought it was one of the coolest features of the S and X. However, now having used the screen I’m not sure I like it better. It definitely had some neat capabilities (ie, being able to set various things like cabin temp using only the scroll wheel was cool; although technically there’s nothing keeping Tesla from adding that sort of capability to the 3 even without the second display). My biggest issue was the fact that the steering wheel blocked a lot of the information on it. I wasn’t able to find a comfortable seat and wheel position that allowed me to see the entire screen without having to move my head around; it got worse when turning the wheel. There were also times when certain information was displayed on the second screen instead of the main screen, which meant I couldn’t interact with it directly like I could on the Model 3 (ie, when parking it takes two clicks to open the trunk since the car status is displayed on the non-touchable second screen instead of the main screen with an “Open” button like on the Model 3). I give the Model 3 the win here, although it’s probably more a matter of personal opinion and what you are used to.
    • Miscellaneous - most things work very similar between the S and the 3 (the S had firmware v9). However, it was very slow to use. I think this would end up being one of my biggest annoyances if I owned the S. Everything just takes longer. It felt like using the latest version of iOS on 4 year old iPad.
  • Exterior - not much to say here, I think they’re both beautiful cars. The fake grill on the S is definitely showing it’s age so I’d say I like the look of the 3 better. If it were a face-lifted S I would have a much harder time deciding which one I like better.

Overall, I’d say I made the right choice getting a new 3 instead of a used S.

I've had a 2018 black model S 75D loaner for 42 days now while tesla shop is waiting for fenders and bumper to repair. I prefer my model 3 also. The darn S uses much more electricity compared to my 3 and it feels so heavy. The only win for the S is the exterior as it is sleek and eye attracting. the model 3 looks a bit goofy compared to the S.

Reactions: stayfocus18