TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 vs Model S - Battery Heat

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Rusty1, May 17, 2018.

1. Rusty1

Rusty1 Member

We took a trip this past weekend to a Lights Festival outside Birmingham, AL and took both our Model S and Model 3 since we had six people going. Being able to take a 5 hour round trip like this and not use any gas is a dream come true for me. It was 92F when we drove down and supercharged in Oxford, AL. I found it interesting that my Model S was charging at 360 mph and had full cooling running while my Model 3 was charging at 460 mph and no battery cooling running. There appears to be a significant difference in heat build up between the older Model S/X battery design and the newer Model 3 battery design.

BTW the Lights Festival was cool.

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  2. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

It's no secret that the Model 3's drive train is more advanced than the S and X. Tesla can try to say otherwise, but the Model 3 is an amazing piece of technology!

• Like x 1
  3. SigNC

SigNC Member

Makes me curious as to how fast the 3 will soak up energy from the new higher powered super chargers vs the S/X.

4. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

Good to hear for sure. The new battery pack is supposed to be a lot better. ...one piece of evidence that it is.