Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 vs Model S differences as of June 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trading in my S lease for a Model 3 in two weeks and wanted to see if you guys could tell me the major differences I should be prepared for. I saw they just added summon and wifi support to the 3, what else is missing compared to the S?

A web browser, camping mode, Ability to turn on or off cabin overheat protection, ability to split screen so you could have both rear view camera and navigation showing at the same time and power meter. There may be some I have missed but those are from memory when I owned my S. Hopefully the release 2018.24 and subsequent releases before the big August release will address these issues plus the 2 you mentioned (WiFi and Summons).

All of the hardware differences as well.
No air suspension, no auto presenting door handles etc etc
Model 3 is playing catch-up in software right now, but eventually they will hit parity.
However, Model 3 does have awesome air vents, super cool minimal dash, cup holders galore.
Can’t wait to see what Model S v2.0 looks like inside.

The Model 3 is half the price of the S. There are a bunch of differences. But if a person can't see the difference between a Corolla and a Mercedes, they won't see any difference.

The Model 3 is half the price. It is not a Model S.

Pretty much this. Rest are details you can try and justify.

Musk wouldn’t be antiselling the 3 otherwise.

What I enjoy the most about my X is the lack of things that I never found annoying until they were gone. Now I hate driving my truck since I have to use the key fob for entry and key for ignition and have to open/close doors, etc. I love just walking into the car and driving away. I am excited about the lack or junk or minimalism approach of the 3 because it means that there is even less fiddling to do. I know that this will start a trend in the future design of the interior refreshes of the X and S and wish the other car companies would follow suit. However, they didn't with their charging stations (simple, plug and play, charge our account automatically) and they didn't with the layout of their current models. Will they ever get it together?

Model 3 is lighter, more efficient and more nimble in the city. It is new in it's development cycle.

Model S is more plush, better ride, more comfortable in long distance travel. It has matured over the years to be a super competent 4 door hatchback sedan.

Both are great and well represent their EV advantages over the ICE competition.

Most of those software things will sort themselves out over time.

Perhaps the biggerst difference between them is that the Model 3 is a smaller 4 door/4 seater with a trunk, while the Model S is a larger 5 door/7 seater with a hatch.

Reactions: Canuck
Not sure about some of these responses. The model 3 that is shipping right now is about half of the higher end S. But it’s not too far from a lower spec’d S.

I wouldn’t necessarily use a corolla vs a Mercedes analogy either. It’s more like a Mercedes E class vs a C class. Or a 5 series BMW vs a 3 series.

They are very different cars with pros and cons going to each. Depending on the age of your S it’s sure going to be a relief to have a center console and interior storage, which a Corolla has by the way.

A web browser, camping mode, Ability to turn on or off cabin overheat protection, ability to split screen so you could have both rear view camera and navigation showing at the same time and power meter. There may be some I have missed but those are from memory when I owned my S. Hopefully the release 2018.24 and subsequent releases before the big August release will address these issues plus the 2 you mentioned (WiFi and Summons).

wifi, summon, and cabin overheat protection are already available on the M3 as of a day or so ago (not everyones gotten that update yet though).

Web browser we know is coming since it's mentioned in the info about the new internet plans

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
I can see the Mercedes E vs C class or BMW 5 vs 3 series comparison a bit. However, pricewise, that 5 or E bloats into 7 or S territory. It's a pretty dramatic spread.

The problem with judging a loaded 3 at $60,000 vs a bare 75D at $75,000 is still the range. That's ultimately what matters the most in an electric car and 259 vs 310 is still quite a big difference. And the lower range car is still $15,000 more. Realistically, if you add in "leather" and EAP and FSD, you're talking $25,000 more. Getting awfully close to 50% more for the same basic level with quite a bit less range. There's a price premium for the E/5 vs the C/3, but being ICE, the range isn't really a factor whereas range is the biggest cost and #1 feature for an EV.

I guess I should have been more specific with my question, I meant software wise. I'm well familiar with the hardware, physical, and cost differences but not so much with the software. Haven't watched too many of the youtube videos showing the horizontal interface.

I meant software wise. I'm well familiar with the hardware, physical, and cost differences but not so much with the software.

I switch back and forth between an S and a 3. Because I switch I often am looking for speed in the wheel gap but I don't think that's the same problem for my wife who almost exclusively drives the 3. Navigations switches from a bird's eye view to a more turn by turn on the center display since there is no additional display for turn by turn. Summon, Wifi, were talked about. The alternative screens like music or backup camera are smaller or can't be dually displayed and can feel a little cramped after the S. Following cruise speed will set to your preset, not your current speed if higher than your preset like the S. I find it a little harder to keep an eye on the "hold wheel" alerts in the 3 vs the S.

Beyond that the 3 has some things I'm looking forward to the S picking up like phone as key.

Hope that helps.

-Gene

Reactions: KidDoc
Model S is more plush, better ride, more comfortable in long distance travel. It has matured over the years to be a super competent 4 door hatchback sedan.

I am currently driving a loaner P85D and I wouldn't say it's more comfortable. The seats are very hard and stiff. I much prefer the seats on the 3.

So far the best thing about the Model S for me is the extra screen behind the wheel. It's much nicer for navigation. Other than that I don't feel like there's much else the S offers over the 3 besides more cargo space.

It's not good to use the superchargers for your charging needs. This will make the battery experience faster degradation. I don't think people with free supercharging cares though cause I always see a bunch of S and X at the superchargers.
So how would you suggest someone take a Model 3 on a road trip if "It's not good to use the superchargers for your charging needs"?

I assume people will take the Model 3 on road trips and they will need to charge when they are on road trips. There is no free Supercharging on the 3 so owners will have to pay for Supercharging whereas Model S owners with free Supercharging will not have to pay.

So how would you suggest someone take a Model 3 on a road trip if "It's not good to use the superchargers for your charging needs"?

I assume people will take the Model 3 on road trips and they will need to charge when they are on road trips. There is no free Supercharging on the 3 so owners will have to pay for Supercharging whereas Model S owners with free Supercharging will not have to pay.
Road trips is the main purpose of the superchargers. I meant to say that it's not good to regularly use the superchargers for your charging needs. I am pretty sure that there are those who only charge at the superchargers.

During my road trip I went to a supercharger and it was completely full. I waited for like 20 minutes and no one moved, so I eventually just drove to another location. This weekend I went to the Fremont factory to charge the loaner and saw a lot of S and X coming and waiting in line for a supercharger.

Everything listed in this thread, and the Model 3 doesn't have a calendar app (that or I couldn't find one).

That being said, once I'm ready for a new car, I'll have a hard time deciding if the extra cost of the S is worth it to me.