Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 vs. Model X - 2 weeks in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dmurphy

Supporting Member
We're now 2 weeks in with our Model X LR+, and I find it a pretty interesting comparison vs. our Model 3 LR AWD...

Obviously both cars have many similarities, but there's some very notable differences. Some things I like better about the X, and some - surprisingly - about the 3.

In the X column are the usual suspects:
- Air suspension rocks!
- FWD also rock.
- Tons of space.
- Monopod seats are amazing.
- The interior is quite better materials; The figured ash wood especially is just scrumptious.
- The size is enormous; very deceiving from outside. We're not missing our Enclave one bit.
- The LR+ "Rev G" battery is fantastic; plenty of range, and almost-as-fast-as-Model-3 Supercharging too!

Where things get interesting, however, are the things that I like better about the 3:
- The acceleration. Both are listed 0-60 @ 4.4s on the Tesla website, but the 3 is much, much more "violent" off the line. The acceleration just feels much quicker; almost as if the X hesitates for a hair before spooling up.
- Single pedal driving is way better in the 3. It has less rollout, grips better and holds the car much better. I always feel like the X takes a lot longer to come to a stop. Regen braking isn't as strong in the X. (And yes before you ask - I checked the settings to make sure it wasn't on Low Regen.)
- I don't like the Autopilot control in the X. It's cleaner in the 3 - double tap down on the shifter to engage, lift to disengage. The major problem with this is that muscle memory kicks in and sometimes I click up on the shift stalk in the X. That puts the damn thing in neutral! Wish I could use that as a disengage mechanism. Going to get me in trouble one day. Bouncing between the two cars confuses the muscle memory something fierce.
- The nav display. I wish the X would zoom in when approaching a turn on the main display; I get that it's on the instrument panel, but the entire map should zoom in like it does on the 3. I miss that.
- The rear AC doesn't cool as well as I think it should.
- The AC compressor is so much louder on the X; in fact if I sit in the driveway with just the A/C on, it almost "rumbles" like a gas engine. Very loud.
- Clearly the audio system wasn't done by the same guys who did the Model 3. The 3 is insanely great. The X is just very good.

Don't get me wrong - we ADORE our Model X; but it was interesting seeing how the technology has evolved with the 3... wish they would "backport" some of the tech back to the flagship.

So - those of you who also drive a 3/Y and an X... what do you think? Any other comparisons?

edit: Dang nabbit! I meant to put this in the main Model X forum, not the Driving Dynamics sub. Mea culpa, but now I can't move or delete it.

I have never heard my AC compressor in my X. I also had a 3 (Perf Stealth).
It takes a LONG time to get used to AutoPilot engage after having the 3.
With 6 seater you should have the large AC with two zones. But there have been issues in the past with ductwork not connected right or pinched etc. Ours works fine.
Try putting suspension in low and see if it takes off faster. I had Performance Model 3. yeah it was whiplash but the X is absolutely fine.
I think they have changed the zooming on Nav a few times and sometimes I have to mess with it. Try pinch zooming main screen and see if it will stick.
Single Pedal / Regen feels fine to me.
Model X seems to take a much bigger hit on cold temps though and you very quickly lose a lot of regen when it even gets modestly cool.
I'm getting 280 wh/mi for the last 2-3K miles. Model 3 Perf (Stealth) with 19" I got 230 wh/mi.
I think the Audio is as good or better in the X. Maybe a little break-in might help.

Now one thing that does suck on Model X is Noise Suppression on Handsfree Calls. Just awful. I don't think it has noise suppression and I think it's a software bug. Model 3 wasn't super either compared to most cars these days.

I have never heard my AC compressor in my X. I also had a 3 (Perf Stealth).
It takes a LONG time to get used to AutoPilot engage after having the 3.
With 6 seater you should have the large AC with two zones. But there have been issues in the past with ductwork not connected right or pinched etc. Ours works fine.
Try putting suspension in low and see if it takes off faster. I had Performance Model 3. yeah it was whiplash but the X is absolutely fine.
I think they have changed the zooming on Nav a few times and sometimes I have to mess with it. Try pinch zooming main screen and see if it will stick.
Single Pedal / Regen feels fine to me.
Model X seems to take a much bigger hit on cold temps though and you very quickly lose a lot of regen when it even gets modestly cool.
I'm getting 280 wh/mi for the last 2-3K miles. Model 3 Perf (Stealth) with 19" I got 230 wh/mi.
I think the Audio is as good or better in the X. Maybe a little break-in might help.

Now one thing that does suck on Model X is Noise Suppression on Handsfree Calls. Just awful. I don't think it has noise suppression and I think it's a software bug. Model 3 wasn't super either compared to most cars these days.

Whwn I mention the AC compressor, I mean from outside the vehicle when pre-cooling. The 3 makes a slight buzzing noise; the X makes a louder buzzing. It’s normal, just surprisingly louder. Never hear it when driving, of course!

as for the rear cooling. The ducting is fine - plenty of airflow in the side vents in the rear. The rear-of-console vents are somewhat surprisingly connected to the front HVAC. Many times we end up driving with the front on low fan speeds but the rear on high to keep the larger cabin cool. Having those rear vents tied to the front takes away some of the dual-zone functionality, if that makes sense?

Now, the regen/accel etc are all fine. Great even. Just different from the 3. It gets up to speed right quick and in a hurry, every bit as fast as the 3, but it’s interesting to me how it just feels so much more graceful doing it. It’s just a smooth ride to 60mph, where the 3 pushes you back in your seat a bit.

Curious about the cold temps once we get there. Right now it’s about 90 every day so won’t notice that for a bit!

The audio could be my ears fooling me a bit since it’s a much more expansive cabin.

Please don’t get me wrong - none of these are complaints, just a curious comparison between the two. I just find they drive and handle quite a bit differently.

Thanks for the feedback on the pinch-zoom BTW. Mine seems to zoom back out when I let go but I’ll try again.

Single pedal driving is way better in the 3. It has less rollout, grips better and holds the car much better. I always feel like the X takes a lot longer to come to a stop. Regen braking isn't as strong in the X. (And yes before you ask - I checked the settings to make sure it wasn't on Low Regen.)
- I don't like the Autopilot control in the X. It's cleaner in the 3 - double tap down on the shifter to engage, lift to disengage. The major problem with this is that muscle memory kicks in and sometimes I click up on the shift stalk in the X. That puts the damn thing in neutral! Wish I could use that as a disengage mechanism. Going to get me in trouble one day. Bouncing between the two cars confuses the muscle memory something fierce.
I also have an X and a 3, though my X is three years old. I agree with you regarding both points that I quoted above. While I had my X with EAP for about two years before I got my 3, I immediately preferred the AP interface in the 3 over the X. I primarily drive the 3 and now when I drive the X I sometimes inadvertently use the gearshift stalk to engage/disengage AP.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
I primarily drive the 3 and now when I drive the X I sometimes inadvertently use the gearshift stalk to engage/disengage AP.

I've done it at least 3-4 times. Putting it in neutral in the middle of a highway - especially in a situation where I'm manually disengaging AP - is not a good thing. :-/

I gather it's a fairly unique muscle memory (3 and X) - but sure would be nice if there were an option in the X's software: "Use shifter stalk for Autopilot control".

The acceleration in the X seems to be plenty potent where I need it when passing. Most passing I do starts at over 50 mph, and completes at under 90 mph. I'm not convinced the Model 3 LR AWD is as quick in that performance envelope. I also like the higher seating position, the instrument cluster, AND the method to control AP.

The method for AP control on any Tesla is wildly different than other cars with ACC and autosteering. It was Tesla's decision to alter the AP user-interface for what I consider to be no good reason. I hate it when companies change the user interface for the sake of change. Can you hear me Apple and Microsoft? And you too GM and Ford!

I originally ordered a Model 3 Performance, but did not get a chance to drive one for a few weeks. When I actually drove the M3D, M3P, MS, MSP, MX, on the same day, the X won with both my wife and I. Note, we are probably not your average Tesla buyers. Note that Tesla does not make something quicker than we already have. We are a bit jaded.

• Love
I went from a M3P- to a MXP90DL+ and it was night and day, with it's share of pros and cons. i miss the 3 dearly and loved how compact it was. You're right, it zips to 60 much more fierce than the X even though the X is rated faster. I used to get headaches from the acceleration in the 3. The 3 feels more planted on the ground, even if you lowered the X to "very low". The X is just huge and that impacts everything. More things that creak. Plus I never had to worry about acceleration shudder in the 3. I also noticed how much louder the X fan is. Even when I pushed the 3 to the point of it having to cool down the battery, the fan is nothing compared to the deafening fan in the X just preheating for ludicrous mode. Also I had no idea that I would have to wait 30 minutes to preheat the battery for ludicrous mode compared to the instant power in the 3. I was running in the low 400s wh/mi even when it was pedal to the metal on the 3. I have to drive like a granny just to get in the 500's in the X. If I didn't watch my consumption it would easily be in the 700's if i drove it like I did the 3. Phantom drain is also worse on the X, a good 10-15 miles gone per day of it just sitting there whereas the 3 was maybe 5.

On the flipside, the doors sold me on the X. It has ruined driving any other car. Stepping on the brake and closing the drivers door...awesome. Closing all doors or individually with the screen or fob...yes please. Phone as key integration on the 3 never worked seamlessly for me and I would have to wake the car up first by pressing the door handle. Then after a split second lag the door would pop open. I just couldn't deal with it.

Tesla's are a dime a dozen where I am at, and the 3 just doesn't hold a candle like the X does. Showing up virtually anywhere and opening the FWDs is instant celebrity status. I used to be pretty stoked about my 3 when they were first out, especially having one of the first ones at superchargers. Now 90% of the cars charging are 3s and I'm glad I don't just blend in. It's like all the new grads got 3's because they wanted a Tesla but couldn't afford the more expensive ones. Maybe it's just me people watching while supercharging, but I feel like there are subclasses that categorize the typical driver demographic. 3 drivers are either really young (took off aero caps) or really old (kept aero caps on); or hipsters. Younger families will have the Y while bigger or older ones have the X. S is usually seen with middle to older aged men, or young men that have customized it with tint, a wrap or chrome delete and almost ALWAYS with a custom plate or legacy (CA) plate. Females stepping out of S's are almost always nicely business dressed, while soccer moms come out the X.

We're now 2 weeks in with our Model X LR+, and I find it a pretty interesting comparison vs. our Model 3 LR AWD...

Obviously both cars have many similarities, but there's some very notable differences. Some things I like better about the X, and some - surprisingly - about the 3.

Where things get interesting, however, are the things that I like better about the 3:
- The acceleration. Both are listed 0-60 @ 4.4s on the Tesla website, but the 3 is much, much more "violent" off the line. The acceleration just feels much quicker; almost as if the X hesitates for a hair before spooling up.
- Single pedal driving is way better in the 3. It has less rollout, grips better and holds the car much better. I always feel like the X takes a lot longer to come to a stop. Regen braking isn't as strong in the X. (And yes before you ask - I checked the settings to make sure it wasn't on Low Regen.)
- The nav display. I wish the X would zoom in when approaching a turn on the main display; I get that it's on the instrument panel, but the entire map should zoom in like it does on the 3. I miss that.
- The AC compressor is so much louder on the X; in fact if I sit in the driveway with just the A/C on, it almost "rumbles" like a gas engine. Very loud.
- Clearly the audio system wasn't done by the same guys who did the Model 3. The 3 is insanely great. The X is just very good.

Don't get me wrong - we ADORE our Model X; but it was interesting seeing how the technology has evolved with the 3... wish they would "backport" some of the tech back to the flagship.

So - those of you who also drive a 3/Y and an X... what do you think? Any other comparisons?

For me the main thing are the differences. I usually drive the X, my wife usually drives the 3 (although I steal it every time I can).

Acceleration: roughly equal

Single pedal: had to turn it off on my profile in the 3. My X does not have it, and my foot forgets. My wife loves it (I would too, if both cars had it).

Autopilot control is simply different between the two. Cannot say if one is better than the other. Though Iadmit to trying to use the shifter to activate AP. The turn signal lever is different. X requiring momentary half press to change lanes, but the 3 requires a full press.

Nav displays zooms for me when approaching a turn. So not sure what you mean here.

Audio system in my X is WAY better than the 3. The 3 is not bad, but it is not in the same league as the X. The subwoofer/midwoofer combo rocks, plus the the very high end just sparkles.

• Love
Regarding acceleration, I think the difference in feel may be due to the height of the vehicle (plus obviously the weight). I have a P3D and a 100D X, but I've also driven a P100D X with ludicrous. Based purely on feel, the P3D felt faster than the P100D X - it pushes you back in your seat more strongly. The X is quicker in absolute terms, but the dynamics don't make it feel that way. The P3D is just an absolute joy to drive, and you don't even have to pre-heat the battery.

With all of that said, I actually prefer driving my X. If feels like driving on a cloud with the air suspension with 20" wheels (noting that it's still nice on 22" wheels, just not as nice), and the more luxurious features like auto opening and closing doors, better sound, etc make it an overall more enjoyable ride in my mind.

The acceleration in the X seems to be plenty potent where I need it when passing. Most passing I do starts at over 50 mph, and completes at under 90 mph. I'm not convinced the Model 3 LR AWD is as quick in that performance envelope. I also like the higher seating position, the instrument cluster, AND the method to control AP.

I absolutely agree. And I don't believe that the 3 (again, mine's an LR AWD) is any faster than my X LR+. But it sure *feels* that way. I wasn't expecting that.

To be honest, the X feels, to me, like a badass version of a Cadillac. Suspension is tight yet smooth, drives great, but the X has a fantastic amount of pickup.

I was running in the low 400s wh/mi even when it was pedal to the metal on the 3. I have to drive like a granny just to get in the 500's in the X. If I didn't watch my consumption it would easily be in the 700's if i drove it like I did the 3. Phantom drain is also worse on the X, a good 10-15 miles gone per day of it just sitting there whereas the 3 was maybe 5.

You must be enjoying the "drive it like ya stole it" mindset! I just did a 100 mile drive today in the X up and down the Garden State Parkway, doing 75-ish, and averaged 290wh/mi. Was pretty happy with that - it's really about what I get from the 3 as well.... I must be a granny too. :)

On the flipside, the doors sold me on the X. It has ruined driving any other car. Stepping on the brake and closing the drivers door...awesome. Closing all doors or individually with the screen or fob...yes please. Phone as key integration on the 3 never worked seamlessly for me and I would have to wake the car up first by pressing the door handle. Then after a split second lag the door would pop open. I just couldn't deal with it.

Tesla's are a dime a dozen where I am at, and the 3 just doesn't hold a candle like the X does. Showing up virtually anywhere and opening the FWDs is instant celebrity status. I used to be pretty stoked about my 3 when they were first out, especially having one of the first ones at superchargers. Now 90% of the cars charging are 3s and I'm glad I don't just blend in. It's like all the new grads got 3's because they wanted a Tesla but couldn't afford the more expensive ones. Maybe it's just me people watching while supercharging, but I feel like there are subclasses that categorize the typical driver demographic. 3 drivers are either really young (took off aero caps) or really old (kept aero caps on); or hipsters. Younger families will have the Y while bigger or older ones have the X. S is usually seen with middle to older aged men, or young men that have customized it with tint, a wrap or chrome delete and almost ALWAYS with a custom plate or legacy (CA) plate. Females stepping out of S's are almost always nicely business dressed, while soccer moms come out the X.

So - funny you said about instant celebrity. I had a guy in a 3-series convertible flip me the bird and scream "F Tesla!!" at me today. That was amusing.

I couldn't care less about blending in or sticking out - I just want a car I can enjoy. I don't need or want attention... I fall right in the middle of your ranges there - not young, not old, not a hipster, have a family, but with a teenager. Not interested in tint or wraps or chrome delete or any of that. Not a female, lucky enough to dress in jeans and a polo for work but earn like I'm in Brooks Brothers, and can't stand soccer. Have both a 3 and an X, so I guess I'm an engima wrapped in a riddle! :)

For me the main thing are the differences. I usually drive the X, my wife usually drives the 3 (although I steal it every time I can).
Nav displays zooms for me when approaching a turn. So not sure what you mean here.

Which nav display is zooming for you? I mean the one on the main screen, not the instrument panel. Mine never zooms in, ever. It sure does on the 3, but the X ... never. I can pinch my way in, but after a few seconds it backs out again.

Audio system in my X is WAY better than the 3. The 3 is not bad, but it is not in the same league as the X. The subwoofer/midwoofer combo rocks, plus the the very high end just sparkles.

I know my hearing isn't great... too many years in data centers in my younger days. But that said - I think what's fooling me a bit is that the 3 is such a smaller cabin, it's "easier" to make a fuller, richer sound. The X I feel just doesn't have as much spatiality (is that a thing?) - where I feel as if the 3 has phenomenal surround sound.

We've taken both the 3 and X to a drive-in movie, and I thought the 3 had a more immersive sound. Not that the X is bad by any stretch - it just felt a little "fuller". Very subjective on my part, of course!

Regarding acceleration, I think the difference in feel may be due to the height of the vehicle (plus obviously the weight). I have a P3D and a 100D X, but I've also driven a P100D X with ludicrous. Based purely on feel, the P3D felt faster than the P100D X - it pushes you back in your seat more strongly. The X is quicker in absolute terms, but the dynamics don't make it feel that way. The P3D is just an absolute joy to drive, and you don't even have to pre-heat the battery.

With all of that said, I actually prefer driving my X. If feels like driving on a cloud with the air suspension with 20" wheels (noting that it's still nice on 22" wheels, just not as nice), and the more luxurious features like auto opening and closing doors, better sound, etc make it an overall more enjoyable ride in my mind.

Yup, that's what I was getting at. I know the numbers don't say so, but the 3 just feels more ... violent. The X is just a smooth beast getting up to speed, without that whiplash effect. It just goes about its business kicking butt and taking names in a nice quiet way. The 3 reminds you it's there, all the time.

We do have the 20" wheels so really enjoy the ride. It's smooth as glass on the X, for sure.

I forgot to mention this point. I have this same issue! Yes, the instrument panel navigation view is nice, but it's also decoupled from the main navigation screen which shows the upcoming turn/exit/etc. I find myself looking back and forth between the instrument panel and the main screen, which is a bit distracting. I do prefer the system on the 3 where everything I need is conveniently on the screen.

I've been driving my MX100D for two and half years now. I love it. Recently I had a M3 loaner for a week. What I did not like about the 3 (aside from the difficulty of moving old bones in and out of it) was the screen. Too many times I just could not see it clearly because of sun coming through the windscreen or the roof. Is this something others have to deal with?

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I've been driving my MX100D for two and half years now. I love it. Recently I had a M3 loaner for a week. What I did not like about the 3 (aside from the difficulty of moving old bones in and out of it) was the screen. Too many times I just could not see it clearly because of sun coming through the windscreen or the roof. Is this something others have to deal with?
Yes, same here. The wife test drove the 3 and didn't like it for a few reasons, the screen being one of them. To me, it is sort of like someone glued a laptop to the dash. :) I don't like it for that and other reasons. BUT, there sure are a lot of people that love the 3 and actually like that screen, so just comes down to personal choice I guess.

Yes, same here. The wife test drove the 3 and didn't like it for a few reasons, the screen being one of them. To me, it is sort of like someone glued a laptop to the dash. :) I don't like it for that and other reasons. BUT, there sure are a lot of people that love the 3 and actually like that screen, so just comes down to personal choice I guess.

So it's a funny thing .... I rather like the 3 screen; I actually like having all my nav in one place, instead of the "split navigation" on the X between the two screens ...

But that said ...

After driving the X a bit, the screen in the 3 looks tiny now. It just looks... small.

It's like using the 16" MacBook Pro.... once you do, going back to the 13" feels like a toy. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Compared to my Model X, I miss a few things in my Model 3.

The automatic doors. So amazing. Especially the showoff doors.

The dual screens were nice. Air suspension is really nice, and I felt like definitely better controlled rebound. I liked having a dedicated battery heater.

Obviously the Model 3 feels like a much more mature car in terms of chassis and overall manufacturing development. It's tight, it's solid. The power delivery is much more instant (the first word that comes to mind was "meaty"). Regen is a lot more intense. The supercharging speeds are better. I think the AP 2.0 in my 2017 MX is actually smoother, and works a little better. I think this is because it's actually doing less, if that makes sense.

The Model X is a lot heavier, and I think that's why the regen isn't as profound. Remember, the law of physics always apply at the Model X has a lot more inertia to deal with whilst stopping.

Reactions: Nilnoc

In the X column are the usual suspects:
- Air suspension rocks!
- FWD also rock.
- Tons of space.
- Monopod seats are amazing.
- The interior is quite better materials; The figured ash wood especially is just scrumptious.
- The size is enormous; very deceiving from outside. We're not missing our Enclave one bit.
- The LR+ "Rev G" battery is fantastic; plenty of range, and almost-as-fast-as-Model-3 Supercharging too!

edit: Dang nabbit! I meant to put this in the main Model X forum, not the Driving Dynamics sub. Mea culpa, but now I can't move or delete it.
I can pretty much echo everything you said other than the charging/range but that’s our “penalty” for keeping $20K in our pocket. (SR Raven 75KW)

We got a 7 seater and like being able to fold everything flat for the cargo space. Would love to see if we could get a second 40 seat to put on the driver side to “Jerry rig” a 6 seat config that still folds flat. :D

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: dmurphy and P85_DA