Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 vs. model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I am trying to make a well-educated decision and chose between model 3 LR and model Y LR and need your feedback.
Although I like the look and handling of model 3 better (not significantly better) I was wondering if Tesla is going to make any hardware changes to model 3 next year, which most probably is not going to happen for model Y. The big difference is the heat pump on model Y of course, which can be helpful, especially in colder climates. Also, I assume the quality control is probably better on model 3, with fewer minor defects out of the gate, while model Y is still suffering from some teething problems with the paint quality, alignment of the parts, etc.
Is there any other thread available, which summarizes all the little differences?
What's your take on this? Is it a good time to purchase model 3, or is it better to go with Y?
I am on the fence between model 3 LR and model Y long range.
Your feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks!

The world seems to be moving to compact SUVs due to hatch design and more versatility. 4 door sedans with trunks are being dropped by many manufacturers.

That said, the 3 feels more nimble and fun to drive, so many will still choose that route.

I agree with what MarsOrBust said. My wife is in the market for a Y (after driving around my M3P-). We're still two years out, but I'm keeping my eye on QA issues for when we make the decision between new or used.

As an owner of a Model 3 and a Model Y (both Performance), I think the choice comes down to how much room you need in your car, so it's a personal choice. In our case, the Model 3 didn't have quite enough room for our road trips while the MY has more than enough room for us. Also we have a large dog so the MY's hatchback was a must. In terms of handling, the M3 definitely has more of a sports car feel while the MY has a higher, more upright feel when driving. But the MY is the best handling x-over SUV I've driven. Although there have been many reports on quality issues with the MY, the few minor issues we had upon purchase were resolved with a visit to a service center.

As an owner of a Model 3 and a Model Y (both Performance), I think the choice comes down to how much room you need in your car, so it's a personal choice. In our case, the Model 3 didn't have quite enough room for our road trips while the MY has more than enough room for us. Also we have a large dog so the MY's hatchback was a must. In terms of handling, the M3 definitely has more of a sports car feel while the MY has a higher, more upright feel when driving. But the MY is the best handling x-over SUV I've driven. Although there have been many reports on quality issues with the MY, the few minor issues we had upon purchase were resolved with a visit to a service center.
Thank you! That's actually exactly what I was thinking. In our case, M3 gives us more than enough storage space because we take longer road trips maybe 1-2 times a year only and still I believe we can easily fit 3 small suitcases in the trunk and frunk. The car will be used mostly for 30-60 miles long daily errands and we normally don't take our cat with us :) Another thing to consider for me was the space in our garage because while we can fit 2 M3s without a problem moving around with 2 MYs parked there could be a challenge :) Fortunately, we are replacing just one of our cars now, but if we like M3 then I guess will follow with another purchase in the future.

Reactions: spsheridan
We have a Model 3 performance and a Model Y. I drive the 3 and am envious of the Model Y's space and comfort. On long trips the Y wins for seating position and space. You'll want to carry a spare tire too. The Y handles really well but not quite as well as the 3. It is the comparison that gets you. If you compared the Y handling to any ICE SUV, the Y would win. You live in Missouri? Snow? the Y's ground clearance will help substantially.

Hi guys,

I am trying to make a well-educated decision and chose between model 3 LR and model Y LR and need your feedback.
Although I like the look and handling of model 3 better (not significantly better) I was wondering if Tesla is going to make any hardware changes to model 3 next year, which most probably is not going to happen for model Y. The big difference is the heat pump on model Y of course, which can be helpful, especially in colder climates. Also, I assume the quality control is probably better on model 3, with fewer minor defects out of the gate, while model Y is still suffering from some teething problems with the paint quality, alignment of the parts, etc.
Is there any other thread available, which summarizes all the little differences?
What's your take on this? Is it a good time to purchase model 3, or is it better to go with Y?
I am on the fence between model 3 LR and model Y long range.
Your feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks!

Sounds like you want to wait till next year.

One, if you buy a Y now, you'll have production issues and flaws.
Two, if you buy a X now, you might "miss out" on changes that might come on the X next year.

So check in again next year.

Reactions: KenC
I went for the model 3. It is better car in terms of performance, handling, and looks (it is marginal though, the Y is also an awesome car). There is a decent amount of storage space in the 3.
I also could not fit the model Y into the space I have in my garage, and I dont really need that much storage space.
You should go for the model 3, unless you need the storage space in the Y.

I also have a 3 and and a y, both awd. I find the drive and handling similar, with the edge to the 3. I think it boils down to 2 factors:

1. If acceleration and handling matter more, go with the 3

2. If space is important, go with the y

You can’t go wrong with either. If I had to choose 1, I’d take the y because we have a kid and need the space for road trips

by the way, our y was delivered 2 weeks ago and besides some noise on the microphone during Bluetooth calls it has been perfect

Reactions: Mattopotamus
I went for the model 3. It is better car in terms of performance, handling, and looks (it is marginal though, the Y is also an awesome car). There is a decent amount of storage space in the 3.
I also could not fit the model Y into the space I have in my garage, and I dont really need that much storage space.
You should go for the model 3, unless you need the storage space in the Y.
Thanks! That's exactly what I was thinking. The extra storage in Y wouldn't be used in my case 80% of the time and I also like the look of M3 better. Now the only dilemma left is 18" or 19" wheels :)

I had similar decision of M3 vs Y. Coming out of a small CUV/SUV I didn't regularly need the extra space and disliked the higher center of gravity and feeling of being inside a big interior that I didn't need. It was a Mazda CX-5 considered to be one of the sportiest CUV/ SUV. When I drove the Model Y the higher center of gravity and bigness and additional weight penalty is obvious compared to the M3. If I had kids maybe would go with the Y.

Model 3s hold their value pretty well. Purchase the 3 now, wait a year or two, and upgrade to the Y once the bugs have been worked out.

That's my plan anyway lol
In fact, we are planning on buying both, but not at the same time :)
So, I should have rather asked "which should I get first?" question :)
I guess we will start with M3, see how we like it, and then be able to realize if there are any features we wish it had to fully satisfy our needs.

I had and sold my Model 3 (for a $2K profit after 15 months) in order to get my current Model Y. Here's a current list of advantages that convinced me to switch to the MY:

Power Hatchback
More Cargo Space
Rear Reclining Seat and More Room
Higher Seating Position
Much Easier Entry/Exit
Heat Pump
Tinted Rear Windows