Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, y'all - trying to decide between the Model 3 and Y. This is an SOS, because I'm pretty stuck between the two and currently have the model Y on order. I'm having second thoughts after driving both multiple times and would love some advice. My goal is to use either car for some occasional roadtripping in MN to drive up north for camping or to drive to my hometown in Madison. Usually, it would be myself and my girlfriend. For longer scenic roadtrips, maybe 2-3 times a year, I'd bring a few friends along.

My charging situation for the first 6 months will be to mostly use superchargers until we move to an apartment with a garage which is fine for me. I plan to be attentive to the cold MN weather. I'll also be plugging in occassionly for a slower charge.

Here are some of my pros/cons:

Model 3 Pros:
  • Feels like a sports car being closer to the ground
  • Feels faster
  • Better handling/manuevering
  • More range even with the performance model or performance upgrade on the long range.
  • Car body is more asthetically pleasing
  • Can see more of the cars body when driving
  • Rear blind spots are great

Model 3 Cons:
  • Way less space for passangers
  • Lower to the ground may affect visibility
  • Glass roof is cutoff from the middle bar unlike Y

Model Y Pros:

• Cargo space is amazing
  • Way more passanger space/leg room
  • Higher off the ground gives more visiblity of the road
  • Performance model is fast fast
  • Can fully embrace camp mode and camp in car
  • Full glass roof
  • Generally feel safer because its a bigger car

Model Y Cons:

• Less range, especially on the performance
    • (303 on model Y performance, so really like 250mi max before needing to stop again if roadtripping)
    • (Not sure if the extra 15-30 mi will matter?)
  • Larger blind spots on the Y compared to 3
  • Manuevering isn't as zippy

Reactions: Flybuddy
Unless you have to because there are no Superchargers along the route you are taking the recommended approach is to drive for 2 to 2.5 hours (120 to 140 miles) and then stop at a Supercharger for ~20 minutes and recharge the battery to between 70% and 80%, but no more and move on.

Use A Better Route Planner (ABRP) that is available on the web and for your phone as an app to plan some road trips in either Tesla vehicle. ABRP will show you the optimal charging stops along the route

Reactions: SalisburySam
You did not mention towing. Tesla does not offer a tow hitch (in the US.) Tesla offers a tow hitch for the Model Y. The tow hitch is very popular for carrying bicycles with a bike rack.

Both the Model 3 and Model Y are great choices. The Model Y offers more room for passengers and cargo. For camping the hatch makes the Model Y more usable than camping in the Model 3.

You may be able to rent a Model 3 or Model Y on Turo, take a short road trip to help you to decide.

It sounds like you’re getting the Performance version of either car? One thing you might want to consider is the wheel/tire setup. Since you’re in MN you will need to swap out the stock summer tires. MYP has a staggered setup while the M3P is square (as far as I know). With the MYP you’ll need to get a new set of wheel/tires for the winter while you could probably just swap out the tires each season for the M3P.

Other than that you’ve laid out the pros and cons in great detail, and only you can decide what is ultimately more important. For me, the added space in the MYP is worth the trade off in performance/handling.

OP it sounds like you already have all your pros and cons laid out (only the ones that matter to you are relevant anyway). The only question I see in your post, is basically "will the extra 15-30 mi range matter in daily or road trip circumstances?", and the answer to that question is, "Likely, no".

@gx9901 , yes the stock Model 3 tire setup is square. on the Performance, its delivered with summer tires, just like the model Y.

People in cold places normally buy a winter set of rims / tires for model 3s if they buy a performance, not sure what typical model Y owner does but its probably similar. this OP is in Minnesota, so whichever one they get, unless they get it during the spring / summer, they are going to have to swap tires before they even drive it home, if they get either performance version.

This is the same dilema most face when choosing either the SUV or the Sedan it is based upon.

Currently in the US, most all are going with the SUV, and Sedans have fallen out of favor.

While sedans get better fuel economy, are cheaper and handle better, the versitility of the SUV seems to usually win over.
The higher seating position provides greater visibility forward, easier entry/exit and a roomier interior with greater carrying capacity.
Cherry on the cake seems to be the benefits of a hatch far outweight using a trunk.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I agree with your points above. I have both, and the Y is much easier to get in and out of if that matters to you. I use it for every day driving as the cargo area makes it more useful when going shopping. That being said, the 3 is way more fun to drive and take it on my road trips(I don't camp) as the range is better, especially in the winter.

Reactions: skiwhmts
It sounds like you’re getting the Performance version of either car? One thing you might want to consider is the wheel/tire setup. Since you’re in MN you will need to swap out the stock summer tires. MYP has a staggered setup while the M3P is square (as far as I know). With the MYP you’ll need to get a new set of wheel/tires for the winter while you could probably just swap out the tires each season for the M3P.

Other than that you’ve laid out the pros and cons in great detail, and only you can decide what is ultimately more important. For me, the added space in the MYP is worth the trade off in performance/handling.
Would it be worth waiting for when the newer batteries release? I hear once the Texas factory is fully online that we’ll be getting better batteries in the 2022 models. Is this enough to justify waiting 6 more months? I’d assume this would be new batteries for both the LR and P, right?

Would it be worth waiting for when the newer batteries release? I hear once the Texas factory is fully online that we’ll be getting better batteries in the 2022 models. Is this enough to justify waiting 6 more months? I’d assume this would be new batteries for both the LR and P, right?

The difference in range between the LR and P (for the most part) is the wheel size / tires. Both cars driven the same, with the same size rims and tires, will have equivalent range (either model 3 LR vs P, or model Y LR / P, compared to themselves). With Tesla there is always "something newer", and they dont tend to wait for model years to make changes.

If this is a concern for you, you will need to wait to see what actually is released, and when. "Planning" on any specific tesla having anything "promised" in the near future would be an exercise in frustration. Wait till the model you want is actually confirmed to be shipping with features you think are critical to you.

No idea when there will or wont be any battery changes etc, and tesla has been aggressively trying to cut their costs, so anything they do will likely be "cheaper for them. It may or may not be more performance (since performance tends to get cheaper over time) but anything they do will be driving their cost to manufacture down, not up.

Reactions: traxion and house9
I'll play Devil's advocate on this one...

I'd love to have the load carrying convenience of a pickup truck or large SUV for those few times a year it is really needed, like getting a real Christmas tree, moving some extra large items, or that road trip with family or friends where my daily driver would not be large enough.

I looked at the costs and driving experience if I got a truck or large SUV, versus getting a MY and borrowing or renting a truck or larger SUV for those 1 or 2 times a year it is really needed. I ended up with the MY option because it suits my needs for 99.9% of the year and I can always rent or borrow something else for that special occasion as needed.

What I am saying is you should get whatever you need and would enjoy driving for the majority of the year, and if that is not adequate for those 1 or 2 occasions a year, then trade vehicles with somebody, borrow or rent something larger for those occasions.

The difference in range between the LR and P (for the most part) is the wheel size / tires. Both cars driven the same, with the same size rims and tires, will have equivalent range (either model 3 LR vs P, or model Y LR / P, compared to themselves). With Tesla there is always "something newer", and they dont tend to wait for model years to make changes.

If this is a concern for you, you will need to wait to see what actually is released, and when. "Planning" on any specific tesla having anything "promised" in the near future would be an exercise in frustration. Wait till the model you want is actually confirmed to be shipping with features you think are critical to you.

No idea when there will or wont be any battery changes etc, and tesla has been aggressively trying to cut their costs, so anything they do will likely be "cheaper for them. It may or may not be more performance (since performance tends to get cheaper over time) but anything they do will be driving their cost to manufacture down, not up.
thank you!! This is true. I’ll stick with my order 😍

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Don't know how much this matters to you or how long you tend to keep your cars, but I would go for the Model Y because it has a better design for the body and cast subframe parts (Tesla keeps learning and improving). It also has the bigger HEPA cabin air filter. Having 1" higher ground clearance can help in places with snow. The plastic trim around the wheel wells and rocker panels helps protect the metal and paint from rock chips and other damage. The vehicle and seats being a little higher up makes it easier to get in/out of for most people. The tow hitch, wiring, and cover are all integrated and a better layout than the aftermarket options you can get for the Model 3.

The only negative for me on the Model Y is the slightly less energy efficiency and the higher price, but that is what I would replace my Model 3 with if I were to total it.

I'm not sure how everyone goes about buying cars, but I make a list of requirements first and whittle down the options from there. I ended up with a Tesla not because I wanted a "Tesla", it just fit the requirements.

The Model 3 and Model Y are totally different cars. One is a sedan, the other is a (small) SUV. Different classes completely. What is it that youre looking for? A hatchback? More room? Then the Model Y is for you. If you dont need space, get the sedan.

----------------------------------------------------------
FWIW my requirements were fairly small. Vehicle that plugs in, has a hatchback, and can take long trips with ease. I narrowed it down to a Rav4 Prime, a Model Y, and the Mach-E. I nixed the Mach-E due to Tesla's superior charging network, the Rav4 got crossed out once the dealership put a 5-figure markup on it. If I were making the same decision today, I may even look at the PHEV Lexus SUV

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Daily drive a MY, have a M3 on order for a 2nd car.

MY height makes it easier to ingress/egress, better visibility, and the seats on risers makes the rear WAY more comfortable. (Rear passenger feet easily fit under the seats.)

The M3 is cheaper (SR is a deal, especially for those who ordered with the old price.) It is quieter (even after work to quiet my MY down).

Both are fast, handle great, and are fun to drive.

Bottom line suggestion:
If you are under 30 and don't have rear passengers, M3
Over 50 and/or have rear seat passengers, MY
Between 30 and 50 is a harder call.

If you have 3 rear passengers, both choices are bad.

"Supported"? Tesla changed the bumper on the 3 to be able to have hitch access for that very reason. There is not issue adding one. Tesla does not need to "Support" this.

"Supported" means, if you have a problem with it, you can go request support from the manufacturer. "not supported" means you cant. In Europe, currently, I believe a tow hook is an option from tesla. In the US, currently it isnt, thus "not supported" thus, "at your own risk".

You may not care if tesla supports the configuration in the US currently, but some people care whether an option they are looking is supported by the car manufacturer. Reports are, official support is coming but you cant order a tow hitch from tesla on a model 3 from tesla yet in the US, in europe you can.