Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 vs S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize this is a personal preference. For me, I prefer my 2017 model S75 RWD uncorked with air suspension over 2018 model 3 LR RWD. Much smoother and quieter ride. Shorter range does not bother me since I drive only locally. I don’t know how 2020 model 3 compares to 2018 model 3.

I have both cars: we bought models S in 2018 and then realized that the Tesla concept (EVs) makes so much sense, we bought a model 3 for my 60 mile each way commute.while the S has nicer trim (wood edge dash,Alcantera ,etc.) the main thing about a Tesla is the tech ,these are not "luxury" vehicles.The minimalist layout and newest tech (your phone is your key )simpler easier to use autopilot etc. makes the model 3 my choice.Also ,the 3 handles like a sports coupe, the S is like a longish Jaguar/sports sedan.The rear seat has less legroom than the S but its worth it to get a newer 3. We recently traded the S away for a Y.

The answers to this question are going to change according to which forum you post them to, and is mostly subjective.

Both have their fans. Drive both and decide for yourself. If you are planning to trade in 5 years or less, a 4 year old car will depreciate less than a 1 year old car.

Reactions: Jamesus
If you figure it out, let me know. I am in the same boat, except either the S Perf or the 3 Perf will be new. I am having a hard time justifying $45k for a quicker 0-60 of about a half a second. I like the looks of the S more than the 3, but again, $45k difference. That is a large number to justify. I am waiting to see if the S is “refreshed” after the plant reopens, and if so:

1. Will it drive the price down on the “Used/Demo” 2020/2021 S’s for sale in inventory to decrease that $45k spread. I can justify about a $20k price difference if that happens and I’d jump on an inventory car.

2. Will the refresh 2021 S be compellingly better than the 3 to justify the $45k (or whatever the higher refresh price may go to.)

I have a few months to decide so I’m waiting on Elon to show his cards.

The S has twice the cargo space, but given you are still considering the 3, I assume that is not a factor.

There's not much else that's a "must-have" in the S. But it does have more space and creature comforts, and is better on longer trips.

The 3, while noisier and a rougher ride, has better handling and being smaller it is easier to park.

For me, I prefer my 3 for most of my regular fairly short around-town trips. But for road trips and even just longer rides, I preferred my old S. So for me, I'd say which car to buy depends on what kind of drives you tend to take. And how much you relatively value sportiness and comfort.

In my case, my wife (who values comfort more) has an X so I (who values sportiness more) get to drive my fun 3 most of the time, but when we need to haul something or drive further, we take the X. The best of both worlds.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
Depends. is it a 75D or a 100D.is the S upgraded to MCU2?
What model 3 is it?
literally no details

I don’t know. This is all that I know. If this doesn’t say where can I go to find out.

5270E4E3-ED67-4C25-B071-80F8BB9DBE25.png

Oh, and a thing for the thread starter: is cargo space and accessability of the trunk of any relevance for you?

I was thinking about changing from an S to the 3. Concerned, not sure whether I could live with thatnarrow back opening. Seen in person... more thinking...

I ended up getting one over the weekend from Tesla, drive it home and trying to fit a few things in. Went back. Happy with my S, neber looked back ;)

Reactions: pilotSteve
2017 75 RWD? Were there even RWD S in 2017 hmmm.. oh well.

Get the S if
  • If you need more cargo space
  • regularly drive 4+ persons
  • don't drive far (town car)
  • Need air suspension for extra clearance and comfort
  • comfort is #1, it's a bit better than 3.

Get the 3 if you
  • need to go far
  • want newest tech with newest updates
  • fast charging
  • preserve value over time easier (model S is getting old)
  • cabin noise is not a big issue
  • 4 wheel drive

Personally I would buy a new 3 LR if that S was the option.
I had an S75D before, Now I have 2021 Model 3 Performance.

• Informative
Reactions: Sunshine Speed