Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 vs S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 is so ugly. Always feel so embarrassed when I'm seen in this hideous thing

BUEQ8EU.jpg

gWBlJ1M.jpg

v9mLn5T.jpg

Model 3 is plain ugly...does not have the curve line of a sport cars...look like a family sedan

hcjYdTu.jpg

No lines or curves... lol

The Model S is literally a family sedan FYI rofl

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SilverGS and 46&2
3 all day! Drive them both. The answer is obvious. So many 3 owners get an S for a loaner and are like “what in the F, give me back my 3 already!”

I have a ton of wheel time behind a P100DL S and I own a Model 3 AWD boosted. Currently, the only car is trade for is a 3P.

....hopefully Plaid changes that soon.

In my experience test driving the new S yesterday, the rear legroom in the S was identical to my Model 3 and headroom seemed about the same too. However, the Model S is wider than the 3 by several inches, maybe that explains why there is more room back there.
Could be true. I owned the 3 then the S so I didn’t have both at the same time. It seems like there is more space and they aren’t as close together or crowded.

For the OP, did you post this question in the 3 forum as well? People in the S forum will have their biases, assuming they all have an S.

Like a lot of people, I cross shopped the two. I think they're both good looking cars, though I liked the extra room, interior materials, second display, tan interior option, heated steering wheel, quieter ride, and air suspension. My P85DL was less expensive than a new M3P. I don't really care about FSD, so that wasn't a deciding factor for me.

You'll have your own priorities though.

Reactions: phantasms
I had the 2018 long range RWD model 3 and switched to this exact car as a well 2017 model S RWD 75 uncorked. The only downside would be less range, less efficient and MCU1. The upside (for me) way better looking car (interior and exterior), power lift rear (which I know now is in model 3). To each their own but having owned both I prefer the model S. I have 3 boys and they fit in the 3 but there’s more legroom in the S for them now too.

so the 2017 S has MCu1. How much to upgrade if possible? Anything else that needs updating?

so the 2017 S has MCu1. How much to upgrade if possible? Anything else that needs updating?
For the MCU upgrade, you have all the details & pricing here: Infotainment Upgrade

As it is a 2017, it may be so that the AP hardware is a 2.0 or 2.5 still. The image you provided earlier shows Full Self Driving capability, meaning it has FSD included. This means you should be able to request the AP3 hardware for free, if not already in the car.
This will allow you to benefit from the best AP experience and "soon" to be released FSD.
Ask Tesla to get confirmation on that car: it's a lot of money worth otherwise.

Very good info above, I agree with everything except comments on headroom. I own a 2018 Model 3 and just test drove a new S yesterday.
Main drawback of the S is that the visibility out the windshield is fine, but not as good as the 3. The headroom in the S is very good, probably better than the 3 if you get the glass roof, for both front and back seats. I agree that headroom in the S is worse if you get the metal roof or sunroof. Another point is that if you sit further back, it's more difficult to reach parts of the screen on the S and you need to lean forward. This is easier on the 3.
Also when you talk about the S seats, you have to specify if you are talking about next-gen leather (2015 to July2017 or earlier) or vegan (Aug2017 or later, and all white seats). I think they feel different. Note that the Model 3 seats seem similar to the vegan S seats, but Model 3 seats actually seemed slightly more comfortable than S seats to me. Lateral side support might be important for some. Also, I wish the vegan seats in the S (both front and back) were longer, with more thigh support.

Not sure how you can say that headroom is "better" than the 3. I'm 6'2" long in the torso and even on a glass roofed Model S, I cannot sit without my head bumping the roof. Unless I set the seat in gangster lean, I'm hitting the headliner. Zero issues in the Model 3.

Seat wise I'm talking about both. The newest seats really have a lot of support compared to the 3, but even the older, first gen seats have more. And I'm not talking about driving like a race car, I'm talking about taking the roundabout out of my neighborhood at 25 MPH. In the Model 3, i'm hanging onto the wheel and bracing my right leg. In the 3 or even my wife's Cayenne, I feel more secure.

And yes, the seats in the S are short.

• Informative
Reactions: Sunshine Speed
If you can’t decide between the S and the 3, you should always get the 3. Personally I drive an S.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheburashka
S all the way, better looking, 2 screens, rides better, better looking, etc in my opinion. Drove the 3, Y 2021 models, 3 just didn’t do it for me. Y was nice, but wasn’t looking for an SUV. P85D with Ludicrous is what I bought and I’m thrilled 😊

I don’t like the looks of the 3 from the front or the back. From the side, it looks pretty good.

I was getting impatient waiting for my S delivery (ordered it in December) so I went to Tesla store and considered buying a 3P. They had a red 3P in showroom which I think is the best color for that car but It just didn’t do it for me, so I continue waiting.

IMO the S looks like a top of the line vehicle. The 3 seems to be a practical vehicle with similar tech to the S.
But I want a car that makes me smile every time I walk into the garage. For me, that is the S.

Reactions: 46&2
I have both cars: we bought models S in 2018 and then realized that the Tesla concept (EVs) makes so much sense, we bought a model 3 for my 60 mile each way commute.while the S has nicer trim (wood edge dash,Alcantera ,etc.) the main thing about a Tesla is the tech ,these are not "luxury" vehicles.The minimalist layout and newest tech (your phone is your key )simpler easier to use autopilot etc. makes the model 3 my choice.Also ,the 3 handles like a sports coupe, the S is like a longish Jaguar/sports sedan.The rear seat has less legroom than the S but its worth it to get a newer 3. We recently traded the S away for a Y.
I like my S and I like my 3. The three costs less because it is less, and don't think it isn't. The three seems quicker, but the S is just as quick, has more room, rides smoother. If all a person wants is a track car, well, then, there you go. But if you want a smooth-riding car that has a 400 mile range, there's that choice. For my 6'5" frame, I prefer the S, and my 5'1" wifey likes driving the "smaller" 3. It's pretty much a matter of what you like. Go test drive them both and decide.

I just went through the same decision making process and ended up picking a 2018 S75D. Luckily my S came with MCU2 and FSD computer already (along with premium upgrade package, HEPA, subzero package, basically all the bells and whistles). The 3 didn't appeal to me due to its look and only one screen. The S is very quick of the pedal, no slouch at all.