Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MODEL 3 VS TAYCAN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK so I get they are two different classes of vehicle but they are the only two I am interested in.
I own a M3P and have for 1 year. I love it, a lot!
However I also really like the look of the Taycan but there are plus's and minus's to both models - price being the largest!
I was looking at the 4S vs M3P.
I wondered what you guys thought?

M3P Plus's:
Charging network
Cost
Tech
UX is the best of any car
Autopilot is the best of any car
Storage
Supports the original EV market disruptor

Taycan Plus's:
It's beautiful. Fact. Anyone who disagrees can move onto another thread (kidding)
The Interior is also a wonderful place to be
The build quality really is excellent having scene in the flesh
It handles so well yet also manages to be quiet and more comfortable than the Model 3 (or the S)
It feels special

That's my short list :)

OK so I get they are two different classes of vehicle but they are the only two I am interested in.
I own a M3P and have for 1 year. I love it, a lot!
However I also really like the look of the Taycan but there are plus's and minus's to both models - price being the largest!
I was looking at the 4S vs M3P.
I wondered what you guys thought?

M3P Plus's:
Charging network
Cost
Tech
UX is the best of any car
Autopilot is the best of any car
Storage
Supports the original EV market disruptor

Taycan Plus's:
It's beautiful. Fact. Anyone who disagrees can move onto another thread (kidding)
The Interior is also a wonderful place to be
The build quality really is excellent having scene in the flesh
It handles so well yet also manages to be quiet and more comfortable than the Model 3 (or the S)
It feels special

That's my short list :)

Basically if you are cross shopping these 2 cars, the Tesla must be very very good!

But seriously, if you can afford to own the Porsche, you can own both. No way you are going to be satisfied with anything less than the Turbo, or Turbo S. You should have both, then whichever one you prefer you can drive today.

Other than their method of propulsion, these cars have absolutely zero in common.

When you add in porsche option list, you could likely get 2 model 3Ps for the cost of 1 taycan 4s. Cars that cost twice as much are not anywhere near "same class".

Might as well say something like "I want to compare a Porsche 911 with BMW 340, these are the two cars I am interested in. They both use gas so they are the same, right?"

Reactions: Sam1 and Vines
Other than their method of propulsion, these cars have absolutely zero in common.

When you add in porsche option list, you could likely get 2 model 3Ps for the cost of 1 taycan 4s. Cars that cost twice as much are not anywhere near "same class".

Might as well say something like "I want to compare a Porsche 911 with BMW 340, these are the two cars I am interested in. They both use gas so they are the same, right?"

I agree with your opinion BUT I did state "OK so I get they are two different classes of vehicle but they are the only two I am interested in." so not sure why you have replied with your "slant". Money really isn't the main issue or I wouldn't be considering a Porsche in the first place. To quote #vines, he's absolutely right, it is a compliment to the Tesla, for a car of half the price to even be a consideration is mental!

Reactions: BlindPass
I agree with your opinion BUT I did state "OK so I get they are two different classes of vehicle but they are the only two I am interested in." so not sure why you have replied with your "slant". Money really isn't the main issue or I wouldn't be considering a Porsche in the first place. To quote #vines, he's absolutely right, it is a compliment to the Tesla, for a car of half the price to even be a consideration is mental!

I just find it a strange comparison is all. Like saying "the only two cars I am comparing is a chevy suburban and a porsche 911. lets talk about the pros and cons of those two vehicles".

like comparing high heel shoes with running shoes, because both are shoes. Its not the money (of course) its that they are completely different things so I find comparing them strange.

Shrug.. @Vines had the right answer, I agree on that as well. the two cars serve different purposes so I could absolutely see someone buying both.

• Disagree
I’m actually in the exact same boat. These are the only two cars that check the boxes in what I’m looking for (performance, electric, and RANGE). Range is the crucial part esp bc this would be my daily and without an equivalent charging network, I need any non-Tesla EV to be able to give me close to 300 miles/day for my commutes.

I have a current 2018 AWD LR 3 but this one has had a bunch of issues, and the interior cabin noise is absolutely atrocious. I dont care about the noise per se, but during my long commutes I talk on the phone a lot and I’m basically yelling. I’ve noticed the newer builds are better in interior noise, still sucks but better. Taycan of course is dead silent inside.

So yea I totally get it deciding between these two cars, I’m actually doing the exact same thing. I just need to decide if the quietness of the cabin is worth >double the price lol.

• Love
Reactions: polyphonic54
I’m actually in the exact same boat. These are the only two cars that check the boxes in what I’m looking for (performance, electric, and RANGE). Range is the crucial part esp bc this would be my daily and without an equivalent charging network, I need any non-Tesla EV to be able to give me close to 300 miles/day for my commutes.

I have a current 2018 AWD LR 3 but this one has had a bunch of issues, and the interior cabin noise is absolutely atrocious. I dont care about the noise per se, but during my long commutes I talk on the phone a lot and I’m basically yelling. I’ve noticed the newer builds are better in interior noise, still sucks but better. Taycan of course is dead silent inside.

So yea I totally get it deciding between these two cars, I’m actually doing the exact same thing. I just need to decide if the quietness of the cabin is worth >double the price lol.
Phew, I am glad I am not totally alone with my dilemma. Range and charge network in the UK is the big one, if the charge network was the same, Porsche would have my money already I think. Money is actually much less of an issue as the overall loss over 3 years is likely not hugely different especially as this is a tax right off for me. Weirdly though I don't seem to be rushing into a decision like I often do with cars, this one is just sort of a mulling it over thing - can't go wrong either way.

Indeed, if you really want a pure EV that’s fun to drive (who wouldn’t!) your list is extremely short.

Therefore, I can appreciate your choice to select between these two. When making a list of “pro’s and con’s” I find it easy to decide if you assign a weight to each item.

Your top two “plus” points for the Model 3 are charging network and cost. If you think you will do a lot of “road trips” with your new vehicle, the charging network would be weighted very heavily, maybe a 9 or 10. Likewise if you need to borrow to afford the Porsche and payment would be uncomfortable, the “cost” item would be weighted 8+.

Tech/UX vs. interior and quietness are also subjective so you would need to decide how important each item is and add up the scores.

One more comment on the charging network, I can make after 2 years of owning my 300+ mi. range Model 3: If you make very FEW road trips, the charging network isn’t important as home charging is enough. ALSO, I think that 5 years from now the CCS network will rival Tesla’s network so down the road that may prove less important.

Hope this helps!

Phew, I am glad I am not totally alone with my dilemma. Range and charge network in the UK is the big one, if the charge network was the same, Porsche would have my money already I think. Money is actually much less of an issue as the overall loss over 3 years is likely not hugely different especially as this is a tax right off for me. Weirdly though I don't seem to be rushing into a decision like I often do with cars, this one is just sort of a mulling it over thing - can't go wrong either way.

If the Model 3 has an Achilles heel it is a louder cabin than the competitors. I know others have had some success with sound proofing, but honestly I just turn my music up.

One of the louder parts of the early builds is the rear parcel shelf pass through. Try putting a moving blanket over it for a day and see if it gets better. If so some foam under the parcel shelf will help a good bit. Also those factory P4S TO are really great with the foam inside and the wider contact patch, quieter than standard. especially on the fronts.

I love driving the Taycan. But I'm not 'in love' with the Taycan. It's a very fun car to drive, but I can't see why I'd use one daily. I can borrow one from Porsche for about $600 and drive it on a closed course. The Los Angeles Porsche Experience Center has them available and perhaps Atlanta. Globally there are probably other places as well.
Obeying traffic laws will never let you enjoy what Porsche has built.

ElGYoxa.jpg

Taycan is amazing but when I have the money I'd upgrade to the red car in my avatar instead. Don't think anyone that can afford a Taycan would look at a Model 3 in comparison lul

Model 3 value at its price point though is bar none. (+ I think my 3 looks as cool if not cooler than a Taycan for only a fraction of the cost!)

Last edited:
Reactions: nomis_nehc
I own a model 3 because of the Taycan. I know Porsche's more luxury-oriented vehicles, having owned several, and a Model 3 does not hold a candle to even the most stripped down basic modern Porsche (as a nice place to be.) The move into a turbo or turbo S brings along a LOT of niceties and creature comforts as standard and there is a staggering difference between an entry trim and a top trim within the same model.
When the Taycan came out, I knew I wanted it but didn't know if I could live with it. Therefore, for 1/3rd the money I could try out BEV. Happy news, I CAN live with a BEV (quite well, actually.)
M3 pros - Mind-blowing performance for comparatively low dollar. SC network is second to none right now. I would say frequent updates, but I paid for FSD that is still not delivered, and each update is a roll of the dice as to whether it is an improvement or a setback.
Taycan pros - Lux vehicle built by one of the highest quality auto manufacturers. If it matters to you, Taycan is still relatively rare whereas the Model 3 is everywhere now. (look at production numbers)

I've never been able to shake the feeling that Tesla spent all of their R&D $$ on tech, and in the 11th hour decided they needed to build a car around it. Or more actually.. the 13th hour.

I was in the same position. Between a Taycan 4S and Model 3 performance.

The Taycan is a better looking car for sure. But, it is also bigger, more in line with a Model S. Coming from a 911, I didn’t want to go that big. Even the model 3 is a little too big for my liking.

Also, IIRC, the Model 3P is faster than the 4S. The turbo is faster, but it’s a heck of a lot more money too. Handling, from what I can see is better on the Taycan, but can be fixed with aftermarket on the 3, and you are still in it for less than the 4S.

I actually prefer the more Spartan interior of the Model 3.

On the Porsche website, I played around with the different options, and the cheapest I could spec a Taycan 4S to my liking came out about $140k. I also would have had to wait a while for the Taycan to come in.

In the end, I’m glad I got the Model 3P.

One other comparison, if it matters to you: if you like to hit up cars and coffee shows, the Model 3 doesn’t fit in. It’s just a common everyday car (at least here in SoCal). The Taycan is more “special”, and would likely be more welcome at car events.

But, I am looking forward to seeing what comes next from the competition, especially with Porsche. I really would love to see an electric 911 Targa. That would be my ideal car, small, 2 door, 2+2 with an open air option.

Then again, the Roadster looks amazing, and can’t wait to see it when it comes out. $200k may be a bit much, but as we’ve seen, the prices seem to go down over time. A Tesla Roadster at $150k would be a no brainer for me.

Last edited: