Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 vs Y towing capacity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a reason why the Y has such a high towing capacity compared to a model 3? (Dual motor)

It doesn’t look like the factory model Y hitch from Tesla mounts to the car really any different from 3rd party model 3 hitches.

Being such similar cars with essentially the same motors I’m curious why the difference in towing capacity is so drastic.

Can't answer your question directly, but I can say that a lot of factors go into a tow rating. Power, weight distribution, braking capacity, suspension and chassis stiffness are among the major factors. It would seem that those would be comparable between the 2 designs, but the devil's in the details.

It could be as simple as the thickness of the sheet metal where the hitch receiver mounts, and the associated load paths through those locations to the suspension components. That wouldn't be obvious to the casual observer. They might also have uprated certain subcomponents to handle different loads.

If the cars are well-optimized, I wouldn't expect the Model 3 to be as capable a tow vehicle. It shouldn't be given it's targeted market niche.

Q: How many performance BMW or Audi sedans are good at towing? A: None of them. That's not their intended use.