Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Wading Ability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Always imagined how well it was sealed, just a nagging in my head that a big battery and water don't mix, but then it is a car for the road and should have already been tested.
I am hoping the same but when you go through the issues people in the UK on this site have experience and see how many are water related:
  • Water in the boot
  • Water in the boot lid
  • Water in the rear lights
  • Water in the side lights
  • undertray damaged by puddles
  • water in the electrics ( they put a connector in the wrong place on early RHD models)
  • leaking roof
  • auto windscreen wipers that don't ( now much improved but still not the best)
You start to wonder quite how much the desert dwellers of Fremont actually know about water and its relationship to vehicles.

Turns out Shropshire was the wettest place in the country yesterday.
Fire and rescue were called to rescue 2 people from a car under the bridge where that footage was shot.
The call to the emergency services was made 3 minutes after I passed through :(
Shropshire town wettest place in the country as floods wreak havoc

Let you know about remnants of N Yorks yellow flood alert next week. Oh, no, tail light condensation danger! Carry a submersible pump for lower boot?

Thanks guys (& gals) for all your valued replies. I feel a lot more confident now.
Jason71 is definately the expert, thanks for toft.
If the definition of an "Expert" is getting yourself into something without thinking it through then finding yourself totally out of your depth and just wanting to get out again without it becoming a total catastrophe then yup I'm definitely an expert.
Mind you on that definition Boris is an expert Prime Minister so I don't think that can be quite right :(

Reactions: Yachtsman
If the definition of an "Expert" is getting yourself into something without thinking it through then finding yourself totally out of your depth and just wanting to get out again without it becoming a total catastrophe then yup I'm definitely an expert.
Mind you on that definition Boris is an expert Prime Minister so I don't think that can be quite right :(
Almost a year later, have you noticed any long-term issues from the brief dive?

Fog-Lights flooded? Etc.

Just to add, before I bought my M3P I had a 4.0l BMW X6... supposedly a SUV capable of flying around a track and climbing a muddy mountain in equal measure...

... Having had to hand the car back for 2 months and have £20k of engine rebuild (luckily under warranty!) due to water ingress into the inner-workings of the drivetrain I can attest to not going through puddles at 60mph! (It did make a bloody great splash though!).

Reactions: Jez_GB
Almost a year later, have you noticed any long-term issues from the brief dive?

Fog-Lights flooded? Etc.
nope nothing.
It threw a hissy fit twice in December with a laundry list of errors when setting off. but getting out of the car locking it and then unlocking and getting back in fixed it. Tried to book a service appointment but was told "known firmware issue" I actually think it might have been water in a connector from over aggressive washing the day before. Mine is an early RHD and they had a water ingress in a connector issue. ( from above not below) which they fix routinely at service but never been done on mine.
If it had happened again or when the car was moving I would not have accepted the explanation and pressed for action but so far no repeat. I don't think it is related to my little swim

Reactions: Arran