Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wagon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This car would be popular in Northern Europe… a Model 3 as a wagon. Just made this computer rendering with the rear form an Audi a4 on the Model 3.
Model 3 wagon.jpg

Why do people keep trying make Tesla designs look common and average? I just don't get it.

Model 3 has shown that Tesla will always start from a clean sheet and with no legacy ICE design constraints to deal with, the outcome is often very original.

If its still difficult to understand this point, wait till they reveal the semi.

Model 3 has shown that Tesla will always start from a clean sheet and with no legacy ICE design constraints to deal with, the outcome is often very original.

How exactly does Model 3 show this? To me, Model 3 looks like they started with Model S, rather than a clean sheet. They chopped a foot off the back of the car, and made a few tweaks - extended the glass roof which eliminates the liftback, removed the mustache, removed the DIC, etc.

Don't get me wrong - Tesla does push the envelope very often, it's their finest quality. But I don't see how Model 3 is an example of this at all. What are the big, highly original M3 features in your mind, that we have not seen before?

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
Shameless plug:

US/World ready for a Model 3 station wagon (= Model Y) ?

Interesting to compare

model-3-wagon-jpg.241330

With

tesla-model-3-hatchback-rendering-1.jpg

I personally don't like the typical station wagon look (top one). It makes the car very generic looking. The one below could easily be made into a crossover similar to the i-Pace. Just increase the height a bit (suspension), maybe some Model X wheelhouse plastics and 20" tires and voilà. That would work on all continents imo.

Reactions: WarpedOne
Shameless plug:

US/World ready for a Model 3 station wagon (= Model Y) ?

Interesting to compare

model-3-wagon-jpg.241330

With

tesla-model-3-hatchback-rendering-1.jpg

I personally don't like the typical station wagon look (top one). It makes the car very generic looking. The one below could easily be made into a crossover similar to the i-Pace. Just increase the height a bit (suspension), maybe some Model X wheelhouse plastics and 20" tires and voilà. That would work on all continents imo.
I personally don't want a ford focus...
2016_46.png

Many people love them though.

For the time being, Model 3 is production limited, so there is need for it for Tesla to add a station wagon variant at this time. May be Model S would get a kick if more variants are available. Station Wagon & Cabrio variants could boost falling sales of that model (and they will fall for sure by the time model 3 gets widely available).

If Tesla does any derivatives of the Model 3, I would think they would go up market and do a coup and/or a 2 door convertible. Tesla is attacking margin from the top down. Though I doubt they will do anything until after Y is out of production hell, so probably mid 2020 we could see some interesting variations on the Model 3. As for S, I could see a S130DL or Limo/Long version with additional leg room and higher end interior (additional length allows for a bigger battery). Again, attacking the higher end of the market before moving down. The main reason I believe this is that margins will drive expansion, which furthers the mission faster and more safely then going for the least common denominator. You also have to remember that Tesla does not believe it can do it alone and sell every electric car on the planet, they need competition to accelerate the transition. Nothing will kick a competitor in the arse more then attacking their most profitable vehicles. BMW is going to care more if they lose market share on 7 Series then on Mini coopers for example, because 7 Series has a lot more margin. Granted, they sell a lot more Mini's but they have to sell 10 minis to make the same profit as one 7 series, conversely, every 7 Series they dont sell, they must sell 10 minis to just make up for the lost profits.

I think Model Y and a truck would be much higher priorities right now.

I'm suggesting that the Model Y will be something similar to the i-pace which in my opinion is a station wagon.

Elon has mentioned that they're aiming for maximum carryover from Model 3, so why not do just that. Similar to f.e:

Volvo S60 cross-country:

2015-Volvo-S60-Cross-Country-PLACEMENT1-626x382.jpg

Volvo V60 cross-country:

2016-volvo-v60-cross-country-20161109-dsc02868.jpg