TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model 3 wagon

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ChristianCNR, Aug 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ChristianCNR

ChristianCNR New Member

This car would be popular in Northern Europe… a Model 3 as a wagon. Just made this computer rendering with the rear form an Audi a4 on the Model 3.
    Model 3 wagon.jpg

• Like x 9
    • Informative x 1
  2. 3Victoria

3Victoria Active Member

Someone in UK is converting Ss to wagons. See Fully Charged at 14:22

3. AssortedBread

AssortedBread Member

Very cool rendering. But Tesla is having no problems selling the car as is. Perhaps in 4-5 years when they need to induce demand.

4. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

When I die, I guess you can transport my body in a Model 3 hearse like that.

Unless a Model Y hearse is all the rage by then...

• Funny x 1
  5. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Member

I think it looks good on a model S. But on a model 3, the front end is way to low and sleek to pull it off.

IMG_1022.JPG IMG_1023.JPG IMG_1024.JPG IMG_1025.JPG

6. Jayc

Jayc Member

Why do people keep trying make Tesla designs look common and average? I just don't get it.

Model 3 has shown that Tesla will always start from a clean sheet and with no legacy ICE design constraints to deal with, the outcome is often very original.

If its still difficult to understand this point, wait till they reveal the semi.

7. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I think the OP's wagon looks nice.

BUT
    The Model S is the wagon baseline imho. Model Y would be the other way to go.

8. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

You want a wagon, just wait for the Y.

I plan to get my 3 now, and in 5 years buy a Y or even an X when the use car market is more robust.

9. phil0909

phil0909 Member

How exactly does Model 3 show this? To me, Model 3 looks like they started with Model S, rather than a clean sheet. They chopped a foot off the back of the car, and made a few tweaks - extended the glass roof which eliminates the liftback, removed the mustache, removed the DIC, etc.

Don't get me wrong - Tesla does push the envelope very often, it's their finest quality. But I don't see how Model 3 is an example of this at all. What are the big, highly original M3 features in your mind, that we have not seen before?

• Helpful x 1
  10. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

• Like x 1
  11. Laban

Laban Member

Shameless plug:

US/World ready for a Model 3 station wagon (= Model Y) ?

Interesting to compare

[​IMG]

With

[​IMG]

I personally don't like the typical station wagon look (top one). It makes the car very generic looking. The one below could easily be made into a crossover similar to the i-Pace. Just increase the height a bit (suspension), maybe some Model X wheelhouse plastics and 20" tires and voilà. That would work on all continents imo.

• Like x 1
  12. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I personally don't want a ford focus...
    [​IMG]

Many people love them though.

13. Laban

Laban Member

Well, i would argue that the Model 3 hatchback rendering looks a LOT better than the Focus :)

But personal preferences aside, the important thing is what the market would prefer. Especially the US market.

14. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Or reminds me of Mazda Speed3, not awful, but meh...Franz was the designer for Mazda so probably not much of a surprise to see some similarities.
    [​IMG]

15. tescroft

tescroft In Musk, we trust.

For the time being, Model 3 is production limited, so there is need for it for Tesla to add a station wagon variant at this time. May be Model S would get a kick if more variants are available. Station Wagon & Cabrio variants could boost falling sales of that model (and they will fall for sure by the time model 3 gets widely available).

16. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I think Model Y and a truck would be much higher priorities right now.

17. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Active Member

If Tesla does any derivatives of the Model 3, I would think they would go up market and do a coup and/or a 2 door convertible. Tesla is attacking margin from the top down. Though I doubt they will do anything until after Y is out of production hell, so probably mid 2020 we could see some interesting variations on the Model 3. As for S, I could see a S130DL or Limo/Long version with additional leg room and higher end interior (additional length allows for a bigger battery). Again, attacking the higher end of the market before moving down. The main reason I believe this is that margins will drive expansion, which furthers the mission faster and more safely then going for the least common denominator. You also have to remember that Tesla does not believe it can do it alone and sell every electric car on the planet, they need competition to accelerate the transition. Nothing will kick a competitor in the arse more then attacking their most profitable vehicles. BMW is going to care more if they lose market share on 7 Series then on Mini coopers for example, because 7 Series has a lot more margin. Granted, they sell a lot more Mini's but they have to sell 10 minis to make the same profit as one 7 series, conversely, every 7 Series they dont sell, they must sell 10 minis to just make up for the lost profits.

18. Laban

Laban Member

I'm suggesting that the Model Y will be something similar to the i-pace which in my opinion is a station wagon.

Elon has mentioned that they're aiming for maximum carryover from Model 3, so why not do just that. Similar to f.e:

Volvo S60 cross-country:

[​IMG]

Volvo V60 cross-country:

[​IMG]

19. 206er

206er Member

never realized how much I dislike wagons before viewing this thread...

• Funny x 1
  20. Laban

Laban Member

Haha, ok. Just out of curiosity, do you like SUV's ? If you do, what about V60 vs XC60 (previous models) ?

[​IMG]