Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Wait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have reserved a model 3 here's my thoughts lately
I am expecting delays on getting a 3 right drive , there eta of end of this year seems a bit far fetched.
I have been looking at the price of used model s and they can be had at about $100k .
Being it will be about $60000 - $70000k landed for a model 3 should I start looking at a used s.

Looking for peoples thoughts.

I am expecting delays on getting a 3 right drive , there eta of end of this year seems a bit far fetched.
I have been looking at the price of used model s and they can be had at about $100k .
Being it will be about $60000 - $70000k landed for a model 3 should I start looking at a used s.

That sounds about right, if you can't wait and can cope with the physical size of the Model S you won't regret it.
The only caveat is that some very early cars delivered in late 2014 were pre Autopilot V1. Ask to see a picture of the front of the car and look for the square hole in the lower grill where the Autopilot radar lives. If it's missing it's one of the early non Autopilot cars.

There's already been a few model 3 devotees who have jumped ship and purchased a second hand model S, you have two aspects to keep in mind, the model 3 will have V2 autopilot the used S will likely have V1, the model 3 is slightly smaller and potentially easier to park in built up areas.
I know of at least 4 owners who have purchased ex Sydney/Melbourne cars and brought them over here to Western Australia, they're all very happy, some have been private sales and some from Tesla used inventory.

Not at all worried about the size.so will v1 autopilot still do the self steering . Will it be self driving if it ever gets released. Going to keep a eye out for any under $100k
AP V1 does a great job on freeways and in congestion.
It will NEVER have the full self driving capabilities that AP V2 is purported to get, because it doesn’t have the required cameras, computing power etc.
I bought a new S75D a few months after my day one Model 3 reservation. I just couldn’t wait. So glad I did, it’s been wonderful.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
Another thing to consider is the warranty, any used S for under $100k will be high mileage or early production so its already used 3 years or so of its 8 year battery warranty but if you wait say 18 months you'll get a full 8 years of battery warranty, then you have the resale issue if you decide to sell in another 3-5 years. I'm not sure what a S will be worth once its warranty expires but most people will be very nervous
about buying a high tech car with thus affecting resale value.
All of this if future looking so you may find values increase as more people want to get into an elec car.

A few thoughts from a fellow AUS res holder (still waiting)
- Aus delivery should show “early 2019”, given the production ramp is currently 6 months behind this could be second half 2019.
- model S is due for a revision possibly this year if they can sort out model 3 and especially 2170 pack production, this may affect resale value if/when it happens. Dash looks dated, several other improvements in 3 that S/X don’t have, possibly have HUD to differentiate.
- I don’t think battery warranty is an issue but most cars under 100K will no longer have other warranty, this could be an issue and affect future resale. Even 60kWh pack should be able to do more than 500K km in it’s lifetime.
- model 3 launching in volume should lead to a reduction of resale value of existing EV’s. Ie in 2019/20 Why buy an out of warranty used car for more than a new model 3?
- you get to enjoy the best car available today if you buy a model S now ... ;-)
I need a 7 seat car, if a revised model X with 140kWh (2170) battery comes out this year I would be tempted.

I'm sitting on a Model 3 reservation but with other manufacturers now furiously cranking up EV development, I'm not sure whether the Model 3 proposition is as compelling as it was. I suspect there will be other brands about to launch competing EVs when Australia gets its first 3's.

I'm sitting on a Model 3 reservation but with other manufacturers now furiously cranking up EV development, I'm not sure whether the Model 3 proposition is as compelling as it was. I suspect there will be other brands about to launch competing EVs when Australia gets its first 3's.
I very much doubt it. Lots of promises but not much action. Note that GM say they will NEVER make the Bolt in RHD.

A
I very much doubt it. Lots of promises but not much action. Note that GM say they will NEVER make the Bolt in RHD.
Agree
It looks like the legacy carmakers are trying to create a separate niche for EVs, that doesn’t affect their main business. Which means making cars with features of a Toyota Corolla and a price tag of a BMW 3-series. In other words, simply charging extra for an electric drivetrain. Perhaps, it would have worked, if Tesla wasn’t around.

Building a Tesla-competitive BEV would decimate their core ICE-car business before affecting Tesla - a suicidal approach for any CEO. No way.

The other issue with the legacy carmakers is the lack of systemic thinking. Tesla wouldn’t be successful without the fast-charging network, the gigafactory and the direct to customers sale network.