Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wave

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Skip to bottom for tldr
Ok so my first car was a Jeep wrangler and whenever I passed a Jeep wrangler they would wave and I would wave back. I thought that was kinda cool. Come to find out that is a tradition with some vehicles... like wranglers, motorcycles, Corvettes, and Dodge vipers as far as I know. I figure with model 3 being a new cool car there could be a wave for when you pass another 3. I was thinking 2 or 3 finger wave on the steering wheel.

Tl;dr get a model 3, 2 finger and thumb or 3 finger wave at other model 3 drivers. Just a thought..

Same thing when the Prius first came out... we would wave and/or toot our horns whenever we spotted another Prius on the road or around town. As Prius ownership became more commonplace (especially true around here), that practice died out. With so many Model 3 reservations already, I wonder how long such a tradition will last? Also, I think a simple wave and smile should suffice... signaling with specific fingers runs the risk of being misinterpreted.

My plan is to hold my left hand out the window with the middle three fingers extended horizontally, kinda like this:

It would take me back to the days when first-generation Volt drivers would honk their cheesy (and mostly unnecessary) "pedestrian warning" horns at each other. There was actually a small amount of skill involved with this greeting, as you had to press and hold a button at the end of the turn-signal stalk for 1-2 seconds in order to activate the horn, so you had to time it correctly. #lifeskills

Same thing when the Prius first came out... we would wave and/or toot our horns whenever we spotted another Prius on the road or around town. As Prius ownership became more commonplace (especially true around here), that practice died out. With so many Model 3 reservations already, I wonder how long such a tradition will last? Also, I think a simple wave and smile should suffice... signaling with specific fingers runs the risk of being misinterpreted.

See, this is why I got a Prius... thought it might be kind of a chick magnet for eco conscious babes. Now that it's super common it's just a kind of ugly and slow. The Model 3 symbolizes everything I actually wanted without the compromise!

My plan is to hold my left hand out the window with the middle three fingers extended horizontally, kinda like this:

It would take me back to the days when first-generation Volt drivers would honk their cheesy (and mostly unnecessary) "pedestrian warning" horns at each other. There was actually a small amount of skill involved with this greeting, as you had to press and hold a button at the end of the turn-signal stalk for 1-2 seconds in order to activate the horn, so you had to time it correctly. #lifeskills
Couldn't that be mistaken for a stereotypical "gang sign?"

Also impractical when it's mid-winter and -35 degrees out.

See, this is why I got a Prius... thought it might be kind of a chick magnet for eco conscious babes. Now that it's super common it's just a kind of ugly and slow. The Model 3 symbolizes everything I actually wanted without the compromise!
There is a whole "is a Tesla a chick magnet?" thead on the Tesla board, you can join and let everyone know your experiences, or lack there of if that's the case :D

I've been doing exactly this (holding 3 fingers horizontally out the window at each Tesla I cross paths with) since March 31st. Had in fact considered starting a thread asking if it was lame and if I should stop, then realized it may be lame to start a new thread asking this. Thanks for taking the bullet for me.

Catching-Fire-3-Finger-Salute-the-hunger-games-36855065-500-190.gif

This is a super plan, but I suggest a modification.

the-shocker-social-wide-black.png

What better three-finger symbol for an EV than the "shocker"?

I mean, if we're going to embrace the absolute absurdity of sticking body parts out the window to acknowledge our implicit motor gang affiliations, we should do something really eye catching.

I believe people should hold up the ≡ sign when we pick up our cars and have our picture taken.

Reactions: Red Sage