TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Weird Smell

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Tobigg, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Tobigg

Tobigg Member

Has anyone been experiencing a weird smell in their model 3 when the HVAC is turned on?

• Like x 1
  2. bugout

bugout Member

Lay off the beans!

• Funny x 6
  3. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Can you describe what the smell is? "weird" doesn't really help much. Does it smell damp and musty? Does it smell like plastics and chemicals? Something else?

4. John Lamoureux

John Lamoureux l Parzival l

What does euphoria smell like? Or maybe, you're referring to the LACK of a smell from fossil fuels? :cool:

5. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Active Member

Maybe a collant leak?

From the web: "If the cooling system in your car smells sweet, then you should have your unit checked immediately. The sweet smell is often the cause of toxic liquid ethylene glycol or antifreeze. This smell is the result of a leak in the cooling system."

From other posts...the Model 3 only has one coolant circuit for all its system...so HVAC uses the same coolant as the battery. So if you have a coolant leak...you could also be affecting your battery.

6. nutts1

nutts1 Member

When it is very cold, I have just an initial faint smell that is normal for electric heat. It goes away within a couple of minutes as the heat stabilizes.

7. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I don't believe the coolant loop goes into the passenger compartment. Many ICE cars have the coolant loop going through a heat exchanger to provide heat. Thus a coolant leak ends up in the cabin.

8. Tobigg

Tobigg Member

9. Tobigg

Tobigg Member

Yes it is a faint smell and goes away within a couple of mins. I'm new to electric vehicles and immediately noticed it when I turned the AC or heat on, I wasn't sure if it was normal or not! Will the smell ever go away for good or will it be there for the life of the car?

10. Tobigg

Tobigg Member

Haha that was funny!

• Like x 1
  11. Tobigg

Tobigg Member

Mostly a damp musty smell!

12. Tobigg

Tobigg Member

:)

13. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. .......The smell, you know that gasoline smell........ Smelled like victory."

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. SigNC

SigNC Active Member

I thought i read somewhere that the battery coolant is eventually used for heat if it's warm enough.

15. Tobigg

Tobigg Member

Man I'm laughing really hard right now!

• Like x 1
  16. icefree

icefree Member

Yes, there is an odd, new car/something burning smell. I'm hoping/expecting it will go away after some usage.
    Also, I've noticed that smells from items in the frunk seem to leak into the HVAC (spicy takeout food in the frunk)...I suspect the rubber seal on the frunk to the hood isn't perfect.

17. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

A damp musty smell is not good so early. I would take that to the SC.

Mine smells weird when it has been sitting in the sun, but it started after I got my tint installed. So I think it is the adhesives from that. It is a chemical smell vs musty tho.

18. randy1077

randy1077 Model X60->75 Vin 180XX. Model 3 Vin 074XX

I also noticed it this morning when the heating element kicked on for the first time. Faint burning electronics smell.

19. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

I believe it is used to help warm up certain components but cabin heater is all electric.

• Like x 1
  20. Tobigg

Tobigg Member

I thinking you may be right because I just got my windows tinted as well and that's when I noticed that smell. Do you have any ideas on fixing it or is it stuck in there for good?