Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Weird Smell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am glad to see a post about this cause I have the same problem! I’m in Dallas, TX and it’s been a ton of rain. I also like to keep the car at 68 if that makes a difference.

I have noticed that if I turn on the AC from the app and it’s on for 5-10 min before I get in the car - that’s when it’s the worst! Anyone have the same experience?

Let me know your thoughts and If others are having the same problem id love to hear how it was fixed.

After having owned my M3 for a month, I am now getting the AC smell every time I get into my car during sunny days. My local service center say it's something that is not covered for it's not a defect.

I am trying to find out how I can clean the system out and remove the mildew that's growing in the AC condenser. The air intake has a grid which doesn't allow me to poke anything down the chute. Probably need to get access to the air filter and see if I can get to the condenser that way.

In all seriousness, I thought that I was crazy but I have had passengers mention this also. Occasionally on initial use we have smelled what seemed to everybody as a vinegar smell, Crazy I know but it has happened multiple times.
Edit- missed a page in the thread and saw others with the vinegar smell issue, Glad to know it wasn't my imagination but has anybody received an answer for the vinegar smell issue and where is it coming from?

Last edited:
Maybe a collant leak?

From the web: "If the cooling system in your car smells sweet, then you should have your unit checked immediately. The sweet smell is often the cause of toxic liquid ethylene glycol or antifreeze. This smell is the result of a leak in the cooling system."

The same glycol is actually used in beverages as as sweetener, including a lot of whiskeys. its legally allowed in small doses in some countries but not others. I noticed chic fil a sauces have it. Isn't industrialization great?

I went to the service center to have them address the smell. they told me the late 2018 cars needed to have their system cleaned since they ran their AC prior to the firmware fix that runs the fan after you exit the car to dry out the system. Snippet from the service log.

Removed and cleaned cabin filter assembly. Applied HVAC cleaner to evaporator. Applied deodorizer to HVAC system.
Reassembled and verified correct operation

Hopefully no more barf smell and the firmware will do the rest.

Now that it is summer again, my car smells again. Teslas fix only seems to work for a week or so before it is back.

Had anyone found the AC condensation drain exit? To fix this on my S I sprayed a foam evaporator core cleaner up the drain, which worked really well.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
I have this strong vinegar smell immediately turning on the A/C. after a few minutes, it's gone but it doesn't feel like it's fresh air like when I received this car back in July 2018. I do want to bring it to the SC or have mobile service check on it, so I am glad I am not the only one experiencing this smell. However, could this potentially be a firmware issue?

I tried spraying Lysol into the air intake in the frunk (remove the plastic cover) but after the first application it wasn't completely gone. I'm going to try again this weekend, if that doesn't work then I will take the advice mentioned earlier in this thread and buy something specifically for this : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZRZJL9O

If you are going to do this remember to turn the HVAC off recirculate mode and turn up the fan so that it is really sucking air into the intake hard. I would also leave the windows open unless you like the scent.

Reactions: Jaywlker
Add me to the list and good to know it’s not an isolated issue. Dec 18 build. Will keep an eye out on the folks fixing this vs waiting for an appointment. Conclusive that this isn’t dangerous right?

I didn’t read all the above posts, but there was a post on Reddit that seemed to address this.

PSA: Getting weird smells from your HVAC, specifically when it’s warm outside? Cause may be Cabin Overheat Protection! : teslamotors

I turned cabin overheat protection to No A/c and I haven’t had the smell since.

That was my theory also and I noticed that Cabin Overheat Protection seemed to be using primarily recirculate which would make matters worse. I've been intentionally turning recirculate off when I think about it and it seems to have helped.

I’m having a smelly sock smell coming out of my model three, I live in Palm Springs so it is not a moisture issue. Just stinks for the first minute or so when turning on the AC. Wondering if others have the same ?
Same here, Palm Desert, car delivered in December. I just recently started using the a/c instead of just the fans and it smells ugly for a short while. Thought it was my imagination.

Mines started doing this about two weeks ago. Vinegar musty smell upon the AC firing it.
Mines from September of 2018.
In AZ it’s required. I’ve had cabin over heat completely disabled as I’d kill the battery quickly.
I park in an enclosed garage during work hours and it still has this smell now.