Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Wh/km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the Model 3's PM motor is insanely efficient along with the lower weight. This was today's commute downtown - Downhill maybe?

upload_2018-8-25_1-20-21.png

I think the Model 3's PM motor is insanely efficient along with the lower weight. This was today's commute downtown - Downhill maybe?

View attachment 328677

Yeah, that first leg you must have come down via the 427 to the Gardener which is fairly downhill on average. Still impressive round trip mileage since your last charge (assuming that's round trip).

Were you driving flow of traffic, or hypermiling?

I also did a downtown round trip last night (watched The Dark Knight in IMAX film at the cinesphere....AMAZING! I HIGHLY recommend it, only showing thru next Thursday as a limited release which Christopher Nolan re mastered to IMAX film for the 10 year anniversary).

Didn't think I had much chance to make the round trip (work, downtown, home) without using some dino juice, but with some hypermiling and getting off the hwy a bit early to switch to 60km/h streets I coasted home without using gas. 110 km on 13.8 kWh.

For clarity that's on my Gen 2 Volt, not model 3. A useful data point because I was using AC in the morning and driving around 110-120km/h on the way to work, but the return leg I kept it at 95, and did the last 10/50km at 60km/h otherwise I wouldn't have made it home....been driving this car for a while and I know when I can push it.

But, I was doing some hypermiling to get a similar mileage, and I'm guessing you weren't, so that's also a very good indicator of the model 3 efficiency vs a gen 2 Volt, which is also pretty efficient (about 20% more than a gen 1 volt)...

Also, since my car is broken in I'm probably a bit more efficient than a brand new one like yours anyway so will be interesting to see next year at the same time if you are getting slightly better. Probably will get 5% better with tires a bit worn down and worked in drivetrain.

IMG_20180824_222120.jpg

Note the 0.5km of gas use is just because the system switched over to gas when I got on my street, but I coasted home and the engine never really fired up. That's one of the things I'm looking forward to in the 3...I hate when I'm 1km from home and the engine fires up since it's very bad to run an engine for 2 min and shut it down...luckily I haven't had to do that much. 51,000km and only 2,000km on gas with my volt :)

Anyway, sorry for the long post. This isn't even about a volt, but thought this would be useful info for model 3 owners to know relative to other EVs.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: chrgra and Falkirk
I’ve got 7202km / 1117 kWh / 155 Wh/km - no conscious attempts to reduce consumption. Aero covers on about half the time. Seems pretty consistent.

I just EAP on the highways and do the occasional punch on the pedal out of a turn on a 70 zone when Waze doesn't warn me of police ahead; which is often :). Hills and high winds seem to be the major factor. Thank you physics.

Reactions: yyzunderdog
How accurate is this anyway? I don't really trust it for the following reasons:
1) Does not take into account phantom drain (which I am now discovering is HUGE! - I'm losing 16-20km overnight and about the same during day when car is parked. Cabin temperature is off). My car was charged to 90%, now at 50%, it says I used 17kw since last charge, totally inaccurate, 90% should be around 68kw, and 50% around 38kw, or around 30kw used... not 17
2) Fun experiment to see how inaccurate this meter is:
- Select the last trip, travel a fair distance and drive hard for first half, then hypermile the last 25%... you will get results like 130whr or less since it really only seems to calculate last part of a trip

How accurate is this anyway? I don't really trust it for the following reasons:
1) Does not take into account phantom drain (which I am now discovering is HUGE! - I'm losing 16-20km overnight and about the same during day when car is parked. Cabin temperature is off). My car was charged to 90%, now at 50%, it says I used 17kw since last charge, totally inaccurate, 90% should be around 68kw, and 50% around 38kw, or around 30kw used... not 17
2) Fun experiment to see how inaccurate this meter is:
- Select the last trip, travel a fair distance and drive hard for first half, then hypermile the last 25%... you will get results like 130whr or less since it really only seems to calculate last part of a trip

16-20km drain is quite a bit. I notice it drains less if I leave a door open - weird right? But now I just have it plugged in so drain is not noticeable until comparing hydro bill month to month (not planning to OCD on this).

For the estimated range, I think it takes your driving behavior into account when estimating how much range (if displayed in km) or just gives you the % of battery left. For the rated 500km, it is accounting for 150Wh/km across the board (1000Wh/150Wh/km*75kW=500km range)

I charged to 447km (90%) and went on a weekend road trip to a friends cottage in Orillia. The Wh/km for me is high 130s, made it home and to the Sherway Garden SC with 35km to spare this morning. For the weekend, the car was never charged and we horsed around on country side roads - paved, gravel, and dirt. The car handled beautifully and there are some amazing stretches of road east of Orillia with bends and hills.

This car had efficiency built in. My Wh/km is only going lower the more I drive - Am I driving like gramps?? :)

Attachments

• M3_RT01_Battery After_448 km driven_35km left.jpg
    M3_RT01_Battery After_448 km driven_35km left.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 96
  • M3_RT01_Battery Before_447 EST km.jpg
    M3_RT01_Battery Before_447 EST km.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 86
  • M3_RT01_Coopers Fall.jpg
    M3_RT01_Coopers Fall.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 86
  • M3_RT01_CoopersFalls02.jpg
    M3_RT01_CoopersFalls02.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 78
  • M3_RT01_CoopersFalls06.jpg
    M3_RT01_CoopersFalls06.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 68
  • M3_RT01_Gravel Road M3.jpg
    M3_RT01_Gravel Road M3.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 85
  • M3_RT01_Lumber Yard M3_01.jpg
    M3_RT01_Lumber Yard M3_01.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 98
  • M3_RT01_Red on Red.jpg
    M3_RT01_Red on Red.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Blue-Ion,
There are two things you can check w.r.t. phantom drain. I have been caught by both.
1) Cabin overheat protection - During hot, sunny days this can suck 20km in 8 hours. It can be reduced substantially by changing the setting to "Fan Only". It can be removed altogether by turning off the overheat protection
2) I was losing 10+ km/night due to phantom drain. Then I realized that my phone was charging within bluetooth range of the car and was remaining connected all night. I tried turning off my bluetooth over night and found that my phantom drain virtually disappeared.

I have been enjoying some very nice efficiency numbers since the temperature dropped and I haven't needed A/C.
20180926_170507.jpg

This has been from my normal commutes this week. Granted, the drive home is downhill allowing for the 80 Wh/km. I could easily get more than 600 km per charge at these levels. I have been gaining kms all week relative to the rated number.

Wow, guess I’m a lead foot. I’m averaging 160 Wh/km primarily highway driving with EAP... but I’m usually doing 125-130 and even then I feel like I’m driving slowly. :eek: I’m running 18’s with covers off and A/C blasting away. :D

Not a lead foot just driving it like a car. Air when you need it and speed/acceleration your discretion. I’m 10-20% over and enjoy on ramp acceleration :) 19”, 6,200 km, 155 Wh/km average here.

Had the car for 18 days now: 1100 km, 151 wh/km total average. Work commute is on Highway 1 for approx 70 kms @ 120kmh round trip. AWD, no aero covers. Usually driving in the city like a maniac, flooring as needed.

No idea how I'm getting these numbers as I was expecting around 170-200wh/km average with a dual motor. Perhaps it will go up eventually....?

• Love
Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
I’ve only driven about 500km so far, but I can’t get under 200wh/km. My cold tire pressures are 42-43psi and I think my high energy consumption has something to do with my lead foot, 20” wheels and cold wet weather. I just picked up my 19” TSportlines today and dropping them off at Kal Tire to get Nokian Hakka R3’s put on. Hopefully, the 19’s and lower rolling resistance tires will give me lower energy consumption.

• Informative
Reactions: McCaesar
I’ve only driven about 500km so far, but I can’t get under 200wh/km. My cold tire pressures are 42-43psi and I think my high energy consumption has something to do with my lead foot, 20” wheels and cold wet weather. I just picked up my 19” TSportlines today and dropping them off at Kal Tire to get Nokian Hakka R3’s put on. Hopefully, the 19’s and lower rolling resistance tires will give me lower energy consumption.
If you are flooring it at every chance the tires won't matter...an ICE car would be the same, you can have speed or efficiency, not both :)

The winter tires will not make an improvement because by the time you out them on the temps will be low enough that the higher air resistance and lower temp will offset any gain due to smaller tires.

If you are driving the car to have fun and punching it, don't worry about efficiency.

Reactions: McCaesar
I thought it was just me as well (have AWD non P). 1 have got 10 about 150 ish with very light foot or just a steady cruise on highway. In the city it’s really hard to get under 180. :)
I drove mostly highway on eAP and still only get 180 lowest. What speed were you driving on the highway to get 150??? That's impressive as heck I'm finding EAP very inefficient .