Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Wh/km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had Red for a little over 3 months and 4500 km. Wondering if I'm doing well in performance. Mostly morning commute of 25km each way, sometimes city streets, sometimes 403/QEW

All time
4,584km 695 kWh 152 Wh/km

Today's drive
13.8km 17 kWh 122 Wh/km

Is a higher Wh/km better or a lower Wh/km better?

What are other Model 3s in Canada getting? Any tips to make it better?

Wait until wintertime as that tends to sap more energy as the batteries need to be kept warm (there's pack heaters installed). I'm getting around 245 Wh/km on a Model S (lifetime ~ a year and 15K km). That said, I have used things like manually preconditioning (heating/cooling) my car which invariably drives up the energy usage. I also use cabin overheat protection, so on the hot days, again energy usage spikes (I'm still evaluating how much of an impact the window tinting has had on energy consumption during the summer - I'd say it's less simply because the a/c doesn't work nearly as hard). On a good highway stretch I can get somewhere in your ballpark of 150, but never down towards 122. That's the difference between the S and the 3 - lighter weight, smaller cD, smaller motors.

My suggestion is to review all the settings, especially those convenient ones and decide what you need.

• Helpful
Reactions: McCaesar
I've had Red for a little over 3 months and 4500 km. Wondering if I'm doing well in performance. Mostly morning commute of 25km each way, sometimes city streets, sometimes 403/QEW

All time
4,584km 695 kWh 152 Wh/km

Today's drive
13.8km 17 kWh 122 Wh/km

Is a higher Wh/km better or a lower Wh/km better?

What are other Model 3s in Canada getting? Any tips to make it better?

That's pretty typical for Model 3; it's much more efficient than the S (let alone the X). What wheels/tires are you on? 18 aeros with caps?

That's pretty typical for Model 3; it's much more efficient than the S (let alone the X). What wheels/tires are you on? 18 aeros with caps?

I have the 19" wheels. I park underground during most days, use Chill mode and lots of regen and AutoPilot whenever I can. Curious to know how that impacts the efficiency along with upcoming winter and cabin overheat protection

Parking underground is fine if it's closed and warm - it'll make the battery stay closer to optimal temperature and thusly won't require energy to warm the pack. The issue may be corrosion if there's salt on the roads.

Chill mode will save energy and full Regen helps (and will also save on brake maintenance).
Autopilot - unsure. I'd say it's a positive, but traffic flow is probably more of an issue. I don't rightly know if the AP processors and cameras are actively using power at all times but I suspect it does. If nothing else AP is better than driving one's self.

Cabin Overheat can use up energy as the day gets hotter. If you're parking it in a hot garage during the day, it might be best just to turn it off. Smart Preconditioning - I've not used that because my schedule is always flexible. For those who have strong and stable routines, it might be helpful for getting the cabin comfortable for driving.

• Helpful
I'm around 9000km and I think 148. I typically have Aeros off but do use them if I'm doing a long drive. I have taken the car for a late night high speed run and that really messes with the average. That kind of driving uses more than double the average.

I think your numbers are in the ballpark. I'm driving on 18" Aero's with the Aero covers removed.

My driving is probably 80% highway and 20% city. Daily round trip commute is 160k from Georgetown to Scarborough. My lifetime since delivery June 1 on 8700km is 152 wh/km. City drives are typically in the 120-130 range.

I use full regen, I don't use chill mode and occasionally let her rip as they say :)

I dont believe that pre conditioning or cabin overheat useage is taken into consideration on consumption calculations, particularly on the current drive as that is based on mileage and consumption from the time you put the car in drive to the time you put it back in park.

Mine is on the 19” Sports, I don’t hesitate to accelerate :) and I pre-cool the cabin at my wife’s frequent request. Interestingly, to me at least, I have an accurate (+/-1%) kWh tracker on only the EV circuit. The total of that and 2 SC sessions is 815 kWh fed to the car. The 129 kWh difference between fed and used driving can be chalked up to:
- Me initially playing with car parked in the garage (tell me you didn’t :))
- Pre-conditioning the AC
- APP usage and waking up
-Vampire drain
- ?

Here’s mine since June 5’th

097263BE-160F-4F22-AC73-85FA42C15A01.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine is on the 19” Sports, I don’t hesitate to accelerate :) and I pre-cool the cabin at my wife’s frequent request. Interestingly, to me at least, I have an accurate (+/-1%) kWh tracker on only the EV circuit. The total of that and 2 SC sessions is 815 kWh fed to the car. The 129 kWh difference between fed and used driving can be chalked up to:
-Vampire drain
- ?

View attachment 325956

We're very close. Maybe we're twins?

Thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: 03DSG
-Vampire drain
- ?

View attachment 325956
Which kWh tracker do you use? Looking for an affordable device to track this.

I think I may be the least efficient of the group so far! I’m at 165 Wh/km and I’ve left my Aero covers on since day one. So far I’ve logged 10,200 km including a roadtrip to Tennesee that we just came back from.

I use Standard regen, but no Chill mode for acceleration. I don’t precondition and I have cabin overheat protection set not to use the AC. My commute is almost 100% highway, half being 400-series and half with an 80 speed limit.

• Informative
Is everyone basically using the trip B computer to track lifetime or is it available elsewhere in the UI? If someone (perhaps another driver) reset it would lifetime stats be forever lost?

I'm using trip B and didn't think of it right away so its off by bit. It should have lifetime somewhere but I don't think it does yet. Hopefully they are tracking it in the software somewhere and can display it.

• Informative