Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Wh/km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, I have a P3D and I consistently get 205+ Wh/km.
I mainly drive within the city though. So there is a lot of stop and go.

Fyi, stop and go is actually better for EV than ICE. Slower is better since you're using less energy and trying to fight wind less. Even with stopping and going.. regen makes up a good chunk of that. Better than trying to drive 120 the whole time.

Your 205+ makes me feel better about my 180 average on my AWD (non P) :)
Are you using the aero covers or not ?

Fyi, stop and go is actually better for EV than ICE. Slower is better since you're using less energy and trying to fight wind less. Even with stopping and going.. regen makes up a good chunk of that. Better than trying to drive 120 the whole time.

Your 205+ makes me feel better about my 180 average on my AWD (non P) :)
Are you using the aero covers or not ?

i have 20" wheel. And i do not care about energy saving. So stop and go means that every time i will step on the pedal and be the first one to blast forward. I turn low on regen braking and my car is always in sports mode. Totally taking car performance over energy saving.

So 205+ is the worst you can get with a model 3.

i have 20" wheel. And i do not care about energy saving. So stop and go means that every time i will step on the pedal and be the first one to blast forward. I turn low on regen braking and my car is always in sports mode. Totally taking car performance over energy saving.

So 205+ is the worst you can get with a model 3.
Why put regen on low? If it’s because you like cruising, I would consider you getting used to the accelerator as with just enough pressure it can still be achieved with normal regen. Regen is a godsend on EV cars, I don’t really understand why people turn it off apart from them not being used to it and unwilling to change habits.

Why put regen on low? If it’s because you like cruising, I would consider you getting used to the accelerator as with just enough pressure it can still be achieved with normal regen. Regen is a godsend on EV cars, I don’t really understand why people turn it off apart from them not being used to it and unwilling to change habits.

Turning it to low for transition or familiarity is fine. It's the same amount of energy recovered if no brakes are applied - just over a longer distance. And it's their choice :).

Reactions: WentOffGrid
First drive on Nokian R3s (151Wh/km with 18°C cabin temp setting and after market rims) - I miss my Aero. Going back to Kal Tire today to re-torque and get the PSI balanced. That rear right wheel!

Final question - to paint calipers or not to paint o_O??

151Wh per  km Nokian R3s.jpg M3 TPMS PSI.jpg Nokian R3s on ION 18x8s.jpg Rims Close Up.jpg

Reactions: Techniques
First drive on Nokian R3s (151Wh/km with 18°C cabin temp setting and after market rims) - I miss my Aero. Going back to Kal Tire today to re-torque and get the PSI balanced. That rear right wheel!

Final question - to paint calipers or not to paint o_O??

View attachment 345155 View attachment 345156 View attachment 345157 View attachment 345158
Are you going to keep these as your dedicated winters going forward? Planning to use my Aeros as my winter rims for Winter 19/20

First drive on Nokian R3s (151Wh/km with 18°C cabin temp setting and after market rims) - I miss my Aero.
I know we're not even into the cold yet here in the GTA but I have not been able to keep my heater off or even below 21 for more than a few minutes. I guess I've always enjoyed the 'free' heat in the ICE and like it warm. I also like having a steady light flow of outside air coming in. Haven't needed to worry about range but I'm trying to adapt to get a feel for what I can do in the real winter.

I know we're not even into the cold yet here in the GTA but I have not been able to keep my heater off or even below 21 for more than a few minutes. I guess I've always enjoyed the 'free' heat in the ICE and like it warm. I also like having a steady light flow of outside air coming in. Haven't needed to worry about range but I'm trying to adapt to get a feel for what I can do in the real winter.
A heated blanket from home Depot works wonders :) bought one a few years ago for $20. That plus heated seats goes a long way if you need it to. More necessary in a volt which is where I used them. Model 3 shouldn't need it with the huge battery.

I also like having a steady light flow of outside air coming in. Haven't needed to worry about range but I'm trying to adapt to get a feel for what I can do in the real winter.

This ! I really want to be able to allow outside air in just for some circulation.. it's too stale when you shut off climate.

As far as I know, there's no way to achieve this without running the heat, and burning that kwh.

Anyone else feel like their range is taking a massive beating with only somewhat cool weather (5C-12C)? Anyone worried about the range at -20C?

My wife is not happy about the range drop so far. We don't have winter tires on yet, and we're not excessively using the heat/seat heaters, but the range (shown next to the indicator) is dropping by about 1.5 - 2.0 times the distance driven (and we're not over driving it -- I've got it in Chill mode to reduce the temptation...).

The average showing in the Energy screen is typically now about 180-200 Wh/km -- and in the "trip counters", around 160-180 Wh/km (we were getting around 140-160 Wh/km before it started to get cold).

Not sure if the trip counters are the most "correct", but the range estimation for the battery indicator seems to be very poor (or the resulting range is poor in colder weather). At the rate it's progressing, we're anticipating a range loss of about 40-50% when it gets to around -20C. Even before it got cold, we saw a range drop of about 20 km since purchase as indicated by the battery indicator when at 90% charge in the morning.

Fortunately we have a Tesla and not a small-battery-EV, and the range far exceeds our normal daily use -- I'd not like to think how little range some of the smaller EV or PHEV get in the dead of winter. It may however, put a dent in ski trips using the EV, and we may have to fall back to the hybrid.

How are others finding it with the cooler weather?

Here's my temperature related efficiency data from teslafi:
Temperature Wh/km Efficiency % Kilometers Recorded
0 to 5 C 217.67 64.4 369.64
5 to 10 C 180.98 77.1 1229.36
10 to 15 C 166.62 83.6 1513.69
15 to 20 C 165.14 83.9 486.55
20 to 25 C 151 91.5 167.75
25 to 30 C 148.86 93.1 27.61

I don't think the 0-5 C data is representative as I think it may be skewed by a long drive into the wind or something. And probably not enough data for 25-30C.

But definitely a lot of data for 5-10 and 10-15. Indicating a 6.5% drop for that 5 degree range.

Anyone else feel like their range is taking a massive beating with only somewhat cool weather (5C-12C)? Anyone worried about the range at -20C?

My wife is not happy about the range drop so far. We don't have winter tires on yet, and we're not excessively using the heat/seat heaters, but the range (shown next to the indicator) is dropping by about 1.5 - 2.0 times the distance driven (and we're not over driving it -- I've got it in Chill mode to reduce the temptation...).

The average showing in the Energy screen is typically now about 180-200 Wh/km -- and in the "trip counters", around 160-180 Wh/km (we were getting around 140-160 Wh/km before it started to get cold).

Not sure if the trip counters are the most "correct", but the range estimation for the battery indicator seems to be very poor (or the resulting range is poor in colder weather). At the rate it's progressing, we're anticipating a range loss of about 40-50% when it gets to around -20C. Even before it got cold, we saw a range drop of about 20 km since purchase as indicated by the battery indicator when at 90% charge in the morning.

Fortunately we have a Tesla and not a small-battery-EV, and the range far exceeds our normal daily use -- I'd not like to think how little range some of the smaller EV or PHEV get in the dead of winter. It may however, put a dent in ski trips using the EV, and we may have to fall back to the hybrid.

How are others finding it with the cooler weather?
A 40% range drop when it's -20C outside and you are using the cabin heater is about par for the course with an EV unfortunately. -20C is super cold though and a very extreme case, but unless you use no heat in the winter expect about a 25-35% range drop in the cold months.

Another factor is how far do you drive each trip. My wife actually takes the go train to Toronto for work, and the station is only 3 km from our house, so she spends more electric power on heating the car in those 3km than she spends driving there. So all that energy she used to heat the car up gets lost when she parks. With her bolt we get >400km in the summer, and in the winter about 230km so that's 43%....again, that's a pretty extreme example though since her daily trips are so short. If we take a trip in the cold we will get around 280km.

The car heater affects things the most, outside temp on battery efficiency next (ie, even without using heat you will experience range loss), tires next, and heated seats last. Actually don't be worried about the range loss due to heated seats, they might draw 100W (in my volt they were 75w each I believe), while the heater in the car probably can draw 7 kW, and the battery heater another 3 kW.

As you said, you have the range to give in the LR 3. Your reaction as a first winter with an EV are normal, but you will get used to it. If you are really worried and want to drive as efficiently as possible get one or two of these :)

Electric Blanket for Car and RV, 12 volt by Stalwart- Black and White

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B006A1PGDE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_S7z0BbX75DBG2

A couple years back home Depot sold something similar for $20, and it goes a long way with this on your lap and the heated seats on with a heated steering wheel. In my volt I basically never had to use the cabin heater unless it was less than -10c outside with this setup....but then again, I only had a 14 kwh battery there. With the model 3 I'm not worried about it at all..

Last edited:
@rdturner0 How many km's are you at when 90%? I'm testing mine and got 427km at 90%.

Charge complete at 449, drains to 430ish by the time I wake up and drive. If you want to get an accurate state of the battery. Do an low SoC charge to 95% setting and it'll balance out the cells. Do this every few months or when you notice the charged km not meeting the % setting.

Also, many experienced Tesla owners recommend setting the scheduled charge time to top the car off right before you wake up in the morning. So for example. I drive daily for 120kms and my charger fluctuates between 39km/h to 49km/h depending on the ambient temperature. Take worse case scenario it's cold and it's charging at 39km/h.

If I want 70% (350km) for the day and I have 50% (250km) from when I got home last night, I'd want to set the setting to 80% and set the start charge timer ~2hr 30 to 3h before I wake up to leave at 6AM = Scheduled charge time start of 3AM ish. If it's not as cold as I thought, it'll keep charging to 80% and I'll start the day with 350+km.

It takes a bit of getting used to but if you have 40A (32A to plug) service available, it's ~50km/h.