Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Wheel Arch Lining Rubbing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed whilst manoeuvring around Tesco car park just before Christmas that when turning sharply left there's a nasty grinding sound coming from the passenger side wheel.

Had it again today again whilst parking, when I got home I had a look at the passenger wheel and the lining in the passenger side around the back where it meets up with the suspension struts is sticking out rather than being fixed back. I tried pressing it back and it flexes pretty easily but letting go of it it just pops back out again, so guessing a missing clip or something.

Guess it's a service booking, but was just curious if anyone else had this issue?

Thanks!

PS. This is a Model 3 LR 2021 refresh

Can you see any holes in the lining that are missing push rivets?

IIRC there's around 22 of them per corner holding the wheel lining in place. If it's obvious that they're missing, it may be easier/quicker just to buy some push rivets yourself and fix yourself.

Here's a set I bought recently:

x476 Car Trim Body Fastener Clips Push Rivets Retainer Door Screw Panel Bumper | eBay
sorry to jump on this one, but my back wheel lining is coming away on 1 side, is it just clipped in also?
It's hard to see what holds it.

sorry to jump on this one, but my back wheel lining is coming away on 1 side, is it just clipped in also?
It's hard to see what holds it.
There should be several push rivets that attach to metal plates. If the metal plate is not there the push rivet has nothing to hold on to. If you move the lining slightly you should be able to see through the hole where the rivet should be to see if the plate is there. If it is then the set I linked above is all you need, otherwise, would get a service centre to look at it.

Just had another look,
The back lining is like a soft lining, pushed over threaded pegs sticking out from the arch.
Then plastic nuts over the pegs that you can turn with fingers to tighten.
However, 1 side seems fine, but the other the lining is miss shaped a bit.
Meaning there is about a 20mm gap between the side of the metal arch and the lining.
Doesn't look like there is any pins on the side to pull it back, only on the roof of the arch.

Just for any future visitors here's the photos I've taken, I was surprised that despite only having the 18" wheels there's really not a lot of visibility behind the wheels even when at full lock!.

Here's the wonky lining, notice the mud where it rubs and also how the view of suspension arm is obstructed by the lining
IMG_2568.jpeg

And this is (an even worse photo of) the drivers side where the lining looks to be correct, again notice how the suspension arm is clearly visible
IMG_2569.jpeg