Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Widest you can safely run on the 8.5 wheel is a 255. 255/40/18 would be 1% undersized so you would be just a little off in comparison with the 20" package.

thanks. is there anything wrong with doing that big on all 4? I tried adding it on Tirerack but it isnt showing that size on the factory rims. would this have any other performance effects either good or bad versus the aero tires?

Big thanks to Josh for setting up my Model 3 Dual Motor with the AG M580 wheels above! I wanted to Ebay my Tesla 18" aero wheels as-is, without removing the TPMS sensors, so I asked Josh to quote me for a complete ready to bolt on replacement set.

I went with the 19" Avant Garde M580 wheels as I wanted a compromised ride quality between the 18's and the 20's. We did Michelin AS3+ tires in a staggered fitment, due to the excellent experience I had previously with them on my BMW 335i. It will also allow me to drive the car year round without any thought or concern when weather turns cold. 245's in front helps with the inherent Dual Motor understeer while admittedly the 275's in rear are really there for a more aggressive cosmetic look. The car definitely looks the part now when approaching it from the rear. However, appearances aside, if I were to autocross this car I'd have put same front 245's all around to keep it closer to neutral handling.

Josh installed new TPMS sensors inside, mounted and balanced, then shipped the completed setup via FedEx. When they arrived, I was surprised to find Tesla's have some unique jacking points. They're relatively small, painted, and very close to more delicate plastic on one side, the battery pack on the other. While you can lift it with a regular low profile floor jack if extremely careful, I'd strongly recommend you pre-buy a jackpad adapter as it really does help raise the car without any damage, chipping of mounting point paint, and reduces the owners stress level.

When I finally slipped the final tire/wheel on, I test drove for an immediate comparison to the 18" aero's. While evaluating the new shoes, the Model 3 gave me a "TPMS Sensor Malfunction" after about 20min of driving. While initially concerned, within a few more miles, a menu popped up asking me if I wanted to select a new wheel size for the Model 3! It presented a choice of 18",19",20" and I pressed the 19" option. Within a few seconds the Model 3 responded that it had adjusted the system accordingly... Whew!

This was really the turnkey bolt-on experience I had wanted. The car ride became slightly stiffer vs the aero's but traction and braking concerns are now a non issue. I think the Model 3 just visually looks more unified too with wider wheels/tires instead of the aero's narrow "space saver" appearance when following it from the rear.

Now we will see if the Michelin AS3+ tires handle winter conditions with the Model 3 as well as they did in the old BMW 335i.
Thanks again Josh!

I just ordered a P3D over the weekend and have started looking at wheels. I'm a more track oriented person and would like to keep with a square setup. I'm noticing that the rear fitment can take a lot more wheel which I'm not interested in. For the right fitment with a square setup I either have to go really aggressive up front or throw some spacers on the rear. Another option is to order a rear rim with a lower offset and at the very least keep the same size tires.

A couple questions if you don't mind:

1. What is the most aggressive you can get up front keeping in mind 1-1.5" lowering?
2. How long are the wheel studs? Can you fit a 10mm spacer on it or would that not leave enough thread showing?
3. Pending on question #1, i'd like to go with 255's or 265 all around. What would be the best f/r combo with the wheels at least being the same width (so I can keep circumference the same)?

Tesla Model 3 come with protruding rotor set screws (see photo). This is different from Models S and X and creates problems with the after-market rims. GetYourWheels photos suggest that these screws were simply removed. Is this safe?

IMG_2957.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: juanmedina
I just ordered a P3D over the weekend and have started looking at wheels. I'm a more track oriented person and would like to keep with a square setup. I'm noticing that the rear fitment can take a lot more wheel which I'm not interested in. For the right fitment with a square setup I either have to go really aggressive up front or throw some spacers on the rear. Another option is to order a rear rim with a lower offset and at the very least keep the same size tires.

1. What is the most aggressive you can get up front keeping in mind 1-1.5" lowering?
2. How long are the wheel studs? Can you fit a 10mm spacer on it or would that not leave enough thread showing?
3. Pending on question #1, i'd like to go with 255's or 265 all around. What would be the best f/r combo with the wheels at least being the same width (so I can keep circumference the same)?
See this post: Group Buy Poll for Mono-Block Forged Alloy Wheels by Titan 7

You could run up to a 265 all around but we haven't fully confirmed on the clearance with the new P3D. Wheel studs are pretty standard at 25mm, if you do run a 10mm, I would suggest either getting longer wheel studs or using ET shank style lug nuts with the conical seat for a 10mm spacer.

9.5 +35 up front with 9.5 +30 in the rear.

Rather then +30 in the rear, +35 with a 5mm spacer might be better to keep that perfect flush look, so you can rotate the tires. But even +35 without the spacer looks pretty good. See picture. This one is 9.5 +35 all around with no spacers.
View attachment 332462 View attachment 332463
Nice. Good to hear that they fit! I just ordered some Enkei Raijin 18x9.5 +35.

Reactions: juanmedina
Rather then +30 in the rear, +35 with a 5mm spacer might be better to keep that perfect flush look, so you can rotate the tires. But even +35 without the spacer looks pretty good. See picture. This one is 9.5 +35 all around with no spacers.
View attachment 332462 View attachment 332463

NICE! You're like Enkei buddies with our guy in Hawaii

18X9.5 all around with 265/40/18.
43607121945_a8738c3352_c.jpg

Reactions: TexasTeslaRacing
The wheels I want only come in 19x8.5 +45 or 19x9.5 +35. I read that ~+35 offset is ideal for the flush look and 19x9.5 up front might be a little bit pokey in the front.

If I run this setup staggered, do you think the fronts would look odd being too tucked in? What would you recommend for tire size?