Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What size are these rims? 21"?

upload_2017-6-16_21-31-24.png

As mentioned previously, the Aero Design Turbine wheels are a Center Lock design and not likely to be offered on a Model 3.
The additional cost would be north of $10K based on similar Porsche wheel pricing ... and not recommended for street use. :cool:

Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories Center Locking Wheel Conversion Kit - Steel

upload_2017-6-16_19-44-9.png
upload_2017-6-16_19-45-38.png

I could see them as covers but do not think I would ever use them unless they increased range by 5% or more.
Even then I would only use them on long trips.
I personally like the rims on the red reveal car and would pay an extra $2,500 for them in 19's.
View attachment 231545

Not likely ... that wheel looks like an expensive center-lock designed for racing applications ... and show cars :cool:[/QUOTE]

• Funny
Reactions: zenmaster
Just some trivia I'd like to add for anyone who would be interested in doing the same:

I went to the tirerack and discounttiredirect websites to see tire choices in 235/40/19 and 235/45/18. There is quite a difference in that the 18s are of course cheaper but more so than I thought they would be and there are a lot more choices as well.

Definitely may influence my decision.

• Informative
Reactions: DavidP and T34ME
They're growing on me, but it it's the base option, then a lot of people might have them.
If those are the base Model 3 wheels I will be very impressed. But I don't think so. They appear to me to be optional 18" "aero" wheels intended to maximize range, like the old Model S "aero" wheels which were so unattractive almost no one bought them and they were dropped.

If those are the base Model 3 wheels I will be very impressed. But I don't think so. They appear to me to be optional 18" "aero" wheels intended to maximize range, like the old Model S "aero" wheels which were so unattractive almost no one bought them and they were dropped.
Except these are pretty much plastic covers over the silver v-spoke wheels. I personally think the original S aero wheels were far more appealing than these.

Reactions: FlatSix911
As mentioned previously, the Aero Design Turbine wheels are a Center Lock design and not likely to be offered on a Model 3.
The additional cost would be north of $10K based on similar Porsche wheel pricing ... and not recommended for street use. :cool:

Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories Center Locking Wheel Conversion Kit - Steel

View attachment 231584 View attachment 231587
The center-lock appearance is just that, a center lug cover designed to look like a center-lock wheel. There have plenty of wheels over the years that did that. I am certain Tesla did not design special center-lock wheels for a non-functional prototype. The Porsche ones are real, the Tesla ones are not.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Except these are pretty much plastic covers over the silver v-spoke wheels. I personally think the original S aero wheels were far more appealing than these.
I don't care if they are plastic covers or not. To me they look great. And I think the old S aero wheels looked terrible. Apparently Tesla's customers agreed because almost no one bought them. Where I live I see a Tesla every few minutes while driving the local freeways (that is not an exaggeration) and I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen those wheels over the past 5 years.

Aesthetics are subjective.

I don't care if they are plastic covers or not. To me they look great. And I think the old S aero wheels looked terrible. Apparently Tesla's customers agreed because almost no one bought them. Where I live I see a Tesla every few minutes while driving the local freeways (that is not an exaggeration) and I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen those wheels over the past 5 years.

Aesthetics are subjective.

I love those wheels and I think they will look even better with the silver edge powder coated black. I might just powder cold the full alloy and put the covers. Looks nice, better range and most likely more comfortable as well.

Reactions: T34ME