Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although some people are claiming it is a solid wheel, not a cover. My guess is a cover on those though.

There's been posts where the poster talked to an owner/employee and they confirmed it's a cover. I think it's pretty well established it's a cover. It's probably about 90% certain that picture is what it looks like underneath.

I'm not sure why Tesla does not post official size information concerning the wheels. ( offset / bolt pattern ). It could only help them...right?

How would it help them? So people have a way to go aftermarket or otherwise not purchase the 19" upgrade?

They are the same.

Oversized tires are NOT recommended because it will throw off the calculations in the computer software and most likely void your warranty. The wheel O.D. MUST remain the same regardless of rim diameter. That is why the 19" sport wheels have a tire with less sidewall than the 18" standard rims. Less sidewall results in higher tire cost, increased wear, less longevity, and rougher ride in many situations.

Complete Nonsense ... please do not post if you lack basic information. Larger wheel and tire combinations do not void the warranty.

Suggest everyone read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The mere use of a non-OE product does not void a warranty. If a non-OE product is used, and a failure occurs, the manufacturer must be able to reasonably show the nexus between the non-OE product and the failure in order to successfully deny warranty coverage. An oversized wheel/tire beyond OE specs could conceivably be used to deny coverage of a strut failure, due to higher loads from road impact, but could not, for example, void an entire vehicle warranty and deny coverage for something as unrelated as a radio head unit failure.

Suggest everyone read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The mere use of a non-OE product does not void a warranty. If a non-OE product is used, and a failure occurs, the manufacturer must be able to reasonably show the nexus between the non-OE product and the failure in order to successfully deny warranty coverage. An oversized wheel/tire beyond OE specs could conceivably be used to deny coverage of a strut failure, due to higher loads from road impact, but could not, for example, void an entire vehicle warranty and deny coverage for something as unrelated as a radio head unit failure.
Thank you. That is what I was trying to imply, but you put it much more elegantly.

There's been posts where the poster talked to an owner/employee and they confirmed it's a cover. I think it's pretty well established it's a cover. It's probably about 90% certain that picture is what it looks like underneath.

How would it help them? So people have a way to go aftermarket or otherwise not purchase the 19" upgrade?
Yes. so that people have a way to go aftermarket and not purchase the upgrade. Exactly. Just like every other car maker does.

Complete Nonsense ... please do not post if you lack basic information. Larger wheel and tire combinations do not void the warranty.
I think T34ME's point is that using a wheel/tire combination that has larger overall outer diameter, therefore circumference, will throw off the speedometer and could impact ABS performance and possibly other systems. It shouldn't void warranty, but it is not a recommended situation want to have. Want to maintain as close as to the OEM outer diameter as possible.

Nice reference to Tire Size Calculator, thanks! Not sure why they don't have Teslas listed

If you change the OD won't it also mess when the when it's time to recharge setting? Does it use the GPS to know how fast you are going?

If you can use larger tires I am looking forward to the first person to use Model S rims on their M3

-Randy

Great post everyone but lots of speculation is confusing me. Even on posts attached we see stuff like this... M3_21.jpg

So wait, they are NOT the same?

-Randy

I sent a message to Tesla Customer Care and they referred me to the Tesla Service Center since they had the agent had no info on wheel PCD. I mentioned to Tesla VP Eng when I met him and said I bought Model S wheels for the Model 3 and hope they fit, but he didn't confirm or deny they will work. As @jmm3 mentioned, we need someone to measure if possible or a current Model 3 owner try on the Model S rims to check.