Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I mean is if you look at both sets of wheels/tires the second ones appear (to me) to have a larger rim with a lower profile tire than the first pic. May just be the angle, the fact that one is moving or that I need better glasses.....most likely the latter.....

View attachment 227391 View attachment 227390
Agree that second one looks larger, but design is also different.

Reactions: T34ME
Do we think the wheels in this photo are the 18s?

The ones in this picture are the larger wheels

tesla-model-3-white-back-heavy-jpg.227410

not a perfect side by side comparison.. but you should be able to tell the wheels are different

wheel differences.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: melindav and T34ME
Looking at the Tesla page, it's $4,500 to go from the stock 19" to either of the 21".

What would the equivalent jump be from a stock 18" to a 20"?

It's entirely up to how much margin they want to (think they can) get out of you. Let's say 18"aftermarket wheels go for anywhere from ~$100 to $500 per wheel. 20" rims go for $150 to $2000. Now multiply by 4, but subtract the cost of the smaller. you end up with a $200 to $6000 possible range for the wheel cost. (Also you need to throw at least $50 x4 for the more expensive tire as well).

So "reasonable" costs for upgrading from 18 to 20 at the factory range from 500 to 5000 (and that's definitely not 500k/yr wholesale pricing)... pick any number in between and you can get an appropriate wheel/tire combo... it's just up to what people will pay and how fancy the upgrade needs to look.

• Informative
Reactions: cizUK
It's entirely up to how much margin they want to (think they can) get out of you. Let's say 18"aftermarket wheels go for anywhere from ~$100 to $500 per wheel. 20" rims go for $150 to $2000. Now multiply by 4, but subtract the cost of the smaller. you end up with a $200 to $6000 possible range for the wheel cost. (Also you need to throw at least $50 x4 for the more expensive tire as well).

So "reasonable" costs for upgrading from 18 to 20 at the factory range from 500 to 5000 (and that's definitely not 500k/yr wholesale pricing)... pick any number in between and you can get an appropriate wheel/tire combo... it's just up to what people will pay and how fancy the upgrade needs to look.
Yeah, they are going to charge as much as the market will allow. Which leads to the question if they share with the Model S/X the same bolt pattern (likely), offset and center bore (maybe not as likely). That will open up more choices.

Given the alpha's were 20' I would say the mules are 19' and 17'. The 19's are a slightly smaller version of the alpha's design while the 17's are obviously a totally different design, though nice if they are the standard option.

17"? I hope. Little more range. Little less cost in replacing worn/flat tires. It'll help Tesla's profit margins on the base vehicle and it will help Tesla get closer to beating the Bolt's range without actually having to spend money to do so.

Given the alpha's were 20' I would say the mules are 19' and 17'. The 19's are a slightly smaller version of the alpha's design while the 17's are obviously a totally different design, though nice if they are the standard option.
I have to agree. The RC wheels seem to be a little smaller than what was on the alphas.

Also, it looks like we're not going to be offered a staggered wheel setup like the alphas had.

I have to agree. The RC wheels seem to be a little smaller than what was on the alphas.

Also, it looks like we're not going to be offered a staggered wheel setup like the alphas had.

After careful consideration I agree as well. The optional RC wheels do appear slightly smaller than the 20" alpha wheels. I take back my previous estimates of 18" and 20".
Guessing 17" and 19".
Would be better for range and tire costs. For those concerned about Teslas upgrade costs the aftermarket will most likely be cheaper. If Teslas upgrade is overpriced I'll use the stock base all seasons in colder weather and Tire Rack BBS rims/summer performance tires the rest of the year.

Let's hope the alpha options are still there just that we haven't seen them yet. Wheel size does go a long way in making the car look sporty and less frumpy (I say this having 22s on my Fiskers which were standard base stock)

Garsh,

You are missing something here. The RC cars we see now are most likely RWD and certainly non-performance cars. Performance cars will most likely have 20s and offsets as you need a much wider tire to handle the downward force on the rears during rapid acceleration.
The tires we are seeing on the RCs are probably 18s. I do wonder when somebody is actually going to get a good picture of the wheels though so we can get some meaningful information.