Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One person has suggested these are not aero rims but wheel covers applied to the V-spoke rims to give better aerodynamics to the wheel. Toyota did this on their rims for the Prius. I don't know if he is correct, but it is food for thought.
Could be possible, but not sure why would they do that. Doesn't make sense to spend money casting a wheel just to put a cover over it, even for aerodynamic reasons. Might as well just use a steel wheel then to save cost. Anything is possible though.

Could be possible, but not sure why would they do that. Doesn't make sense to spend money casting a wheel just to put a cover over it, even for aerodynamic reasons. Might as well just use a steel wheel then to save cost. Anything is possible though.

Thats kind of what Toyota did with the 2012-2015 Prius.. I assume the wheel cover was for aero because the wheel cover is hideous.. which is why many 2012-2015 Prius owners just removed the covers and rolled on the uncovered black alloys

Reactions: T34ME
i don't like those wheels at all. Probably more areo than the others but I would pass for sure.
The bigger issue is that these aren't a different wheel. These are the smaller wheel we've been seeing, but with the covers on them. I'm super-bummed about this. I hope the aftermarket quickly makes a true center cap for these wheels that we can at least put on while doing only in-town driving. I think these covers are to get the cd to .21, sadly.

The bigger issue is that these aren't a different wheel. These are the smaller wheel we've been seeing, but with the covers on them. I'm super-bummed about this. I hope the aftermarket quickly makes a true center cap for these wheels that we can at least put on while doing only in-town driving. I think these covers are to get the cd to .21, sadly.
That might be true. It's still better than wheel skirts though.

But if they are removable, I don't see the issue much.

Same or not? I can't decide

upload_2017-6-2_16-28-38.png

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
This might explain what that groove in the wheel is for. It might be there to help keep the wheel covers in place. I don't like the aero covers either but they would probably look better if they were silver/chrome.

IoniqWheels.jpg

Hyundai Ioniq Electric wheels, giving that car the highest efficiency rating of all EVs.
I like the Tesla aero wheels (they're distinctive, so they may take some getting used to for many people). If they are offered, or standard (to give the highest EPA range possible), I'm sure there will be other optional wheels to satisfy everyone. If not, there will be aftermarket wheels.

What makes you think they are covers? Nothing jumps out at me to suggest that. Am I missing something?

This is simply the orginal wheel shown at Model 3 announcement event ... :cool:

c.png

First time production Aero wheels spotted! Maybe the Aerowheels are the something special Musk was hinting for first day reservations.
View attachment 229390

here's another pic of the aeros from reddit
View attachment 229404

One person has suggested these are not aero rims but wheel covers applied to the V-spoke rims to give better aerodynamics to the wheel. Toyota did this on their rims for the Prius. I don't know if he is correct, but it is food for thought.

Does anyone know the reason for the five raised areas where they used to put weights?

Are those process marks like ejectors on a die cast part, or there for vibration reasons?

Those are registration posts to align the aero wheel covers!

If they paint the wheels black before putting on the aero wheel covers, the pinstripe will go away and they will be less conspicuous.There is room to work.

Reactions: plankeye