Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Width

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0148.jpg
The Model 3 mirrors kind of swivel instead of pivoting. They don't look like they take much width off.

Well I just measured my garage door and it's 108" or so (large enough I didn't bother opening the door to see what the actual number is). My current cars both measure in under 79" mirror tip to mirror tip so 82" will eat up some space but will be livable.

I don't think I'll have to fold the mirrors but if it's geofenced auto folding I'd turn that on for the convenience of not having to bump into the side mirror while walking between the wall and the car.

If it's manual folding it'll only get folded by accident as I walk by carelessly someday.

If the mirrors are still the widest point of the car after being folded, it's possible that the width is still slightly exaggerated in the specs. Would have to get access to an actual car to confirm.

Well, that's even worse, isn't it? You still can't squeeze into a narrow garage/lane/parking spot, but you also don't get the advantage of the greater elbow room that would result if the actual car were wider.

The Model 3 mirrors kind of swivel instead of pivoting. They don't look like they take much width off.
Yeah, so excluding mirrors, it could be narrower than 72.8" when mirrors are folded.

Well, that's even worse, isn't it? You still can't squeeze into a narrow garage/lane/parking spot, but you also don't get the advantage of the greater elbow room that would result if the actual car were wider.
Yep, kind defeats the purpose of folding mirrors, but it still knocks ~6" off the total width so 3" per side is better than nothing for squeezing into tight spaces.

Right. But the smaller size was my main reason for waiting for Model 3 - I want an electric car much smaller than Model S. If it's only an inch narrower, and a foot shorter, Model 3 hardly seems worth the wait, particularly as the cost difference seems to keep narrowing.

So maybe I want a Model S after all. Have to reconsider.

I'm pretty sure the folded mirrors won't be the widest part of the car. The setup is pretty similar to the S and the car is definitely widest at the wheel wells.
Wow, what a great picture! :)

It's a bit hard to tell since the perspective skews it a bit, but it looks to me that it's possible that the mirror may still be the widest part of the car even when folded.

Right. But the smaller size was my main reason for waiting for Model 3 - I want an electric car much smaller than Model S. If it's only an inch narrower, and a foot shorter, Model 3 hardly seems worth the wait, particularly as the cost difference seems to keep narrowing.

Depends on which configuration S you are comparing it to. S with very few options is a $75,000-$80,000 car. A longer range Model 3 that's completely loaded is going to be about $60,000.

I don't know that I'd call the $15,000 - $20,000 price difference "small" but obviously to some people it's not too much and to others it's an enormous amount of money.

I didn't call it small. I said it's narrowing, and it is narrowing.

My $35k Model 3 is up to $52.5k, due to long range, premium, destination fee, color, and wheels. No autopilot for me.
My preferred Model S is $74k, with referral credit and free supercharging. Went down $5k when they added power hatch to the standard configuration, and even more discounts seem to appear on inventory cars and at quarter ends.

Bottom line, the price difference is now less than I had been expecting, and the car size difference is much less than I was expecting. Honestly not sure at this point which is the better value for me.

Right. But the smaller size was my main reason for waiting for Model 3 -
I want an electric car much smaller than Model S.
If it's only an inch narrower, and a foot shorter, Model 3 hardly seems worth the wait,
particularly as the cost difference seems to keep narrowing.

I wish Tesla consider making a smaller urban car, easy to park, "Model 2" about the size of an i3/Bolt/Golf
even if the price would be similar to the Model 3.

MINI ............. L: 151/8″ ..... W: 68″ ..... H: 56″
BMW i3 ........... L: 157″ ..... W: 70″ ..... H: 62″
GM Bolt ........... L: 164″ ..... W: 70″ ..... H: 63″
VW Golf ........... L: 168″ ..... W: 71″ ..... H: 57″
Nissan Leaf ..... L: 175″ ..... W: 70″ ..... H: 61″
Tesla Model 3 .. L: 185" ..... W: 76" ..... H: 57"
Tesla Model S .. L: 196" ..... W: 77" ..... H: 57"

Last edited:
I wish Tesla consider making a smaller urban car, easy to park, "Model 2" about the size of an i3/Bolt/Golf even if the price would be similar to the Model 3.

Agreed, I'd even pay more for a smaller car. Note that the Model 3 is significantly wider than your chart indicates - it's actually 76.1" with mirrors folded. As noted earlier in this thread, there was apparently an error by Tesla communicating the width.

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
Agreed, I'd even pay more for a smaller car. Note that the Model 3 is significantly wider than your chart indicates - it's actually 76.1" with mirrors folded. As noted earlier in this thread, there was apparently an error by Tesla communicating the width.

Wait, you would pay more for a smaller car? Interesting... well maybe you will have your car when the new Roadster comes out in a few years.

Yes, bulky cars are a nuisance unless you actually need the space. Small cars are more fun to drive, easier to park, easier to merge.

I'm hoping Model Y will be the one with a much smaller footprint. But that's still a long way off. As of now, even with M3, the only cars available from Tesla are wide and bulky.

Reactions: WhiskySTL
Yes, bulky cars are a nuisance unless you actually need the space. Small cars are more fun to drive, easier to park, easier to merge.

I'm hoping Model Y will be the one with a much smaller footprint. But that's still a long way off. As of now, even with M3, the only cars available from Tesla are wide and bulky.

Too bad they don't sell the Renault Zoe over here, sounds like that's your car.

Wow, what a great picture! :)

It's a bit hard to tell since the perspective skews it a bit, but it looks to me that it's possible that the mirror may still be the widest part of the car even when folded.

I really doubt it. It looks like a similar design to the S. Although it's hard to tell exactly, I believe on the S the mirror when folded is exactly as wide as the widest portion of the car, and I bet the 3 is the same. Why would they design it any differently?

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1515 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 26

The Model Y will be built on the same platform as the Model 3, so definitely not a smaller footprint. Who knows whether they will ever build a smaller car than the 3 (except the roadster replacement perhaps), but I wouldn't hold my breath

Reactions: JRP3