Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 WiFi Connection [Unable to Connect]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone been able to connect Tesla Model 3 to your home WiFi with the latest update. After multiple tries I have given up and want to hear from you guys before I call tesla service guys. I just got my car back from service for some brake fixes. I have tried my main network and guest network both with both security type option available in interface. I am on Version : 2018.24.1

I haven't tried connecting to my mobile hotspot or someone else home wifi. ( I guess that would be my next step to try). interestingly enough when I click on that "i" (information) icon it says "No MAC address available" not sure if that is the cause of the problem. but I want to hear you guys if anyone facing similar issue.

Is anyone been able to connect Tesla Model 3 to your home WiFi with the latest update. After multiple tries I have given up and want to hear from you guys before I call tesla service guys. I just got my car back from service for some brake fixes. I have tried my main network and guest network both with both security type option available in interface. I am on Version : 2018.24.1

I haven't tried connecting to my mobile hotspot or someone else home wifi. ( I guess that would be my next step to try). interestingly enough when I click on that "i" (information) icon it says "No MAC address available" not sure if that is the cause of the problem. but I want to hear you guys if anyone facing similar issue.

It is buggy. I can connect to home Wi-Fi but Wi-Fi keeps turn off and will not auto connect or turn on automatically. Not major issue as I get good cellular connection at home for OTA Tesla updates.

so my phone hotspot connection works.. as I tested it this weekend. I am working with my router provider "eero" to confirm if there anything they can do. seems like from their perspective it should connect , as long as TESLA support WPA2 personal encryption which I think it should and its pretty standard these days. going to try my guest network with no encryption ( as suggested by eero guys) to isolate where the problem is coming from.

so my phone hotspot connection works.. as I tested it this weekend. I am working with my router provider "eero" to confirm if there anything they can do. seems like from their perspective it should connect , as long as TESLA support WPA2 personal encryption which I think it should and its pretty standard these days. going to try my guest network with no encryption ( as suggested by eero guys) to isolate where the problem is coming from.
Do you happen to have a Wink hub on your network? You might want to check out this thread: Another WiFi Bad Actor - SOLVED - Wink Home Control

Do you happen to have a Wink hub on your network? You might want to check out this thread: Another WiFi Bad Actor - SOLVED - Wink Home Control

okay after reading through whole post , it looks like this issue/solution doesn't apply to my case because:

1) I don't have the WINK Hub at my home network.
2) I have a eero router at home and I have tried completely separate guest network with no encryption at all and still I wasn't able to connect TM3 with my network.

But having said that, I do have some DLNA device at my home like Smart TV and Plex Server. I dont think I had any other device on my guest network when I tried connecting TM3 to it but I am not 100% sure. I can double check next time I'll try and confirm results.

okay after reading through whole post , it looks like this issue/solution doesn't apply to my case because:

1) I don't have the WINK Hub at my home network.
2) I have a eero router at home and I have tried completely separate guest network with no encryption at all and still I wasn't able to connect TM3 with my network.

But having said that, I do have some DLNA device at my home like Smart TV and Plex Server. I dont think I had any other device on my guest network when I tried connecting TM3 to it but I am not 100% sure. I can double check next time I'll try and confirm results.
I found that the Orbi router's guest network wasn't truly a separate network and still had issues when the Teslas could 'see' other traffic on the network. I don't know if the Eero router could have the same issue.

Good luck trying to figure it out. We tried many things over a year before we finally got our cars to connect to wifi properly.

I found that the Orbi router's guest network wasn't truly a separate network and still had issues when the Teslas could 'see' other traffic on the network. I don't know if the Eero router could have the same issue.

Good luck trying to figure it out. We tried many things over a year before we finally got our cars to connect to wifi properly.

I am 100% sure eero provide the a totally different network where it will be on different subnet and cannot access devices on my main network.

okay so I am 100% sure now that its my $500 eero router issue. I tried my mobile hotspot wifi and ATT default gateway router's wifi my ISP provided in both cases Tesla Model 3 was able to connect to wifi successfully. but when I try to connect to my wifi through eero, tesla complains saying "please make sure your password is correct". so either eero router is doing something really stupid and not letting my car connect or its being super secured and not allowing this connection. either way its stupid router issue even when car is on totally separate network

okay so I am 100% sure now that its my $500 eero router issue. I tried my mobile hotspot wifi and ATT default gateway router's wifi my ISP provided in both cases Tesla Model 3 was able to connect to wifi successfully. but when I try to connect to my wifi through eero, tesla complains saying "please make sure your password is correct". so either eero router is doing something really stupid and not letting my car connect or its being super secured and not allowing this connection. either way its stupid router issue even when car is on totally separate network

I don't know anything about the Eero system, but one thing you could check to see is if your Eero wifi network has MAC address filtering on, which would block the Model 3 from joining the network if it's MAC address isn't on the router's white list.

okay I feel like a dumb person "sometimes being extra smart is not good either". On my eero router TM3 was showing me manufacturer as "LG innotek" which i thought was one of my wife's old dance class client's phone and so I blocked it from my network. which explains why eero was not allowing it a connection on main or guest network. But moment I unblocked it TM3 connected to my eero network. the only thing is I wish Tesla would update the manufacturer name on wifi chip through firmware so that others don't fall into this similar issue.

the only thing is I wish Tesla would update the manufacturer name on wifi chip through firmware so that others don't fall into this similar issue.

The manufacturer is determined by the first bit of the MAC address. Eero has a database to look that up based on IEEE registrations. You can also look it up yourself by using a site like this:

MAC Address and OUI Lookup for - Find the Company that manufactured the network card.

Another option is to look at the IEEE registrations manually: Welcome to The Public Listing For IEEE Standards Registration Authority

There isn't really a name on the chip that Tesla can update. The only thing they can do for future models is get their own block, but I'm not sure if they have the quantities to justify that.

okay I feel like a dumb person "sometimes being extra smart is not good either". On my eero router TM3 was showing me manufacturer as "LG innotek" which i thought was one of my wife's old dance class client's phone and so I blocked it from my network. which explains why eero was not allowing it a connection on main or guest network. But moment I unblocked it TM3 connected to my eero network. the only thing is I wish Tesla would update the manufacturer name on wifi chip through firmware so that others don't fall into this similar issue.
So I guess this is it:
Wi-Fi Module - LG Innotek

Just wanted to say thank you. I Have an Eero as well and I thought that the LG innotek was the Model 3 but wanted to confirm.

Reactions: VRM3
This wi fi thing is a huge pain.... My Model S can see the home network when parked next to the Model 3. My phone can see the network when I am sitting in the model 3. My model 3 sees only one or two weird network signals, but not either of mine. I screwed around with this for hours, rebooted everything and read the posts, etc. but I do not have eero or ??? just have a simple a linksys router and it works fine for the Model S. Any suggestions??
Grant

This wi fi thing is a huge pain.... My Model S can see the home network when parked next to the Model 3. My phone can see the network when I am sitting in the model 3. My model 3 sees only one or two weird network signals, but not either of mine. I screwed around with this for hours, rebooted everything and read the posts, etc. but I do not have eero or ??? just have a simple a linksys router and it works fine for the Model S. Any suggestions??
Grant
Same thing for me. My Wi-Fi network has a strong signal in my garage as seen on my phone but my Model 3 receives no signal. It does register two other network signals that I have never seen also.
Maybe it is a weird Austin thing.