Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Window Rattle (When it's fully closed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone ever hear window rattles when going over small bumps like the light reflectors on the road while the window is fully closed? It’s faint, and comes from the doors. Sounds like a cable in the window regulator hitting the door or the window.

I drove three other model 3s (SR, SR+, and stealth performance) and they all had this rattle. My friend and I used a tone generator to look for it and while we could hear it at 60Hz at 75% volume in the car, we couldn’t really pin point it. But when we drive, it definitely comes from the door.

I say it’s the window regulator because I took all the door panels off, and taped down all the wires and connectors. They could not possibly rattle, so it leaves the window. Has anyone fixed this?

i got the same issue, it goes away for few weeks and then returns. it sometimes can be tamed by putting the window up and down a few times. It goes away if the window is just put down a millimeter. I suspect its a slightly misaligned motor which needs to sit 1mm lower.

I took my car in 6 times for this issue, finally diagnosed it myself with the tone generator and had the dealership horizontally move my front passenger window 1mm to the front and the rattle went away.

Two days later though, same rattle but REAR passenger door/window.
Did this ever get resolved? Can you explain what you heard? I’m having a clicking/tapping sound over bumps and looking for a fix.

Had same thing, thought clearly i heard a glass sounding rattle in passenger door........(21 M3P)...finally found!..
raise up passenger seat all the way, tilt it back, look under......there is a small black plastic unit, with a couple plugs into it....right in front....it had 2 small clips to the metal seat base......it was rattling against seat bottom....sounded just like glass.......popped right off with no effort, put some 2 sided tape on it, reattached.....rattle solved!... :)

• Informative
Reactions: Adam3 and KenC
Did this ever get resolved? Can you explain what you heard? I’m having a clicking/tapping sound over bumps and looking for a fix.
This got resolved in rear window as well. clicking/tapping sound. They had to realign the window horizontally and the issue COMPLETELY went away. I had to find it, diagnose it, and provide them a fix which is irritating. Car went in 9x for this issue until they finally listened and did the work.

This got resolved in rear window as well. clicking/tapping sound. They had to realign the window horizontally and the issue COMPLETELY went away. I had to find it, diagnose it, and provide them a fix which is irritating. Car went in 9x for this issue until they finally listened and did the work.
Thank you for sharing. I have the same rattle on both front windows since delivery 3/2020 and it has been driving me crazy because the techs never hear the noise.

Well I am able to duplicate the noise by pressing on the black, rubber window trim below the window glass. So seems that may be my issue too....misalignment. I hear it on bumps and certain turns. I'm going to screenshot your post and share it with Tesla at my appt.

Thank you for sharing. I have the same rattle on both front windows since delivery 3/2020 and it has been driving me crazy because the techs never hear the noise.

Well I am able to duplicate the noise by pressing on the black, rubber window trim below the window glass. So seems that may be my issue too....misalignment. I hear it on bumps and certain turns. I'm going to screenshot your post and share it with Tesla at my appt.
When you say black, rubber window trim below the glass, do you mean on the exterior or interior? Can you clarify?

I had an issue with both rear windows - if I open them slightly the noise went completely away, but if I closed them, there was a very apparent rattle going over even slight imperfections. I took a tech for a test drive with him in the back seat and he could hear it clearly. It took 4 days but they added insulation in the door panels which made the problem go away. Problem is, they pried the door panels open so now the tops of each are wavy, and I have to go back for a door panel replacement. One step forward, two steps back.

I had an issue with both rear windows - if I open them slightly the noise went completely away, but if I closed them, there was a very apparent rattle going over even slight imperfections. I took a tech for a test drive with him in the back seat and he could hear it clearly. It took 4 days but they added insulation in the door panels which made the problem go away. Problem is, they pried the door panels open so now the tops of each are wavy, and I have to go back for a door panel replacement. One step forward, two steps back.
Pictures of the wavy door panel(s)? Is it by where the top of the interior trim meets the window?

mine was fixed when they replaced the window regulator, A good way to test to see if its causing this is to sit in the car with the all the windows up. Then in silence, pull up on the window switch and all of them should have a similar sound except that 1 window that rattles, it will sound like the glass is hitting the top. Thats how you can show the service to come fix it.

Reactions: TheJDJ
i got the same issue, it goes away for few weeks and then returns. it sometimes can be tamed by putting the window up and down a few times. It goes away if the window is just put down a millimeter. I suspect its a slightly misaligned motor which needs to sit 1mm lower.
Do you find it’s temperature dependent? I have what seems like a window alignment issue that seems worst when the outside temperature is around 50F