Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Window Tinting - GTA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who does 3M Cyrstalline in the GTA who does a really good job? I'm curious to know if there are any differences between this product and the Spectra Photosync. In particular, if anyone has had the 3M product for a while, how well has it held up? I'm finding absolutely no durability problems with the Photosync, but am wondering if there's any visibility issues with the 3M product particularly at odd times. I find the Photosync can become "opaque" when the sun hits it towards dusk and early after dawn. Otherwise, it holds up extremely well - really does a great job keeping the cabin cooler and minimal effect on night time visibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Struja
I got my windows tinted at Nebo Tinting Doctor (NTD) in Hamilton on my neighbour's recommendation. He uses Madico tint, and I asked for the maximum legal amount. I tinted just the sides, as I didn't want any possible warranty issues in the future with the rear glass. I was mostly after UV reduction for the passengers. Happy with the job and I paid a fair price.

Who does 3M Cyrstalline in the GTA who does a really good job? I'm curious to know if there are any differences between this product and the Spectra Photosync. In particular, if anyone has had the 3M product for a while, how well has it held up? I'm finding absolutely no durability problems with the Photosync, but am wondering if there's any visibility issues with the 3M product particularly at odd times. I find the Photosync can become "opaque" when the sun hits it towards dusk and early after dawn. Otherwise, it holds up extremely well - really does a great job keeping the cabin cooler and minimal effect on night time visibility.
I did Photosync on my wife’s sunroof on her RX and I’ve never seen a better heat and light filtering and it holds up like a champ.

Reactions: corlaandstan
I did Photosync on my wife’s sunroof on her RX and I’ve never seen a better heat and light filtering and it holds up like a champ.

Yes, it's holding up really well for me as well. I've got it on all the windows and the windshield but not the sunroof as Tesla already has it embedded. Makes a night-and-day difference - and a much more comfortable ride.

What I'm looking for is anyone who has installed 3M and has had it for a while to see how well it's holding up. I've seen one video that I'm skeptical of that shows the 3M undergoing some testing and it doesn't hold up well - at all.

My concern with the Spectra is the after-dawn and sunset opaqueness that happens.

I'm looking to compare, if possible, the 2 products as we're looking to get my wife a Model Y soon and will need to make a decision about which one is better.

Best to call and get an estimate. I thinks its was about $400.00 I was quoted last summer.

Yup. Just got mine done at SmartDetail. Thusan set me up.

20's all around + single piece in the back --- the work done is so clean... could swear it's factory

Attachments

• IMG_1481.jpg
    IMG_1481.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1482.jpg
    IMG_1482.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1483.jpg
    IMG_1483.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1484.jpg
    IMG_1484.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 202
Reactions: Tony_YYZ and Struja
Funny you mention Inception. I was originally going to use them for ppf/ceramic and tint. However, I found their ppf prices to be too high, around 4k for ppf/ceramic combo (just the front of the car and rocker panels). I decided to use Jay at Westside Pro for the ppf and ceramic - highly recommended by the way.

I dropped by Inception to update my appointment to window tint only. I had nothing to hide as to why I was only getting tint now and thought they would appreciate some competitive intelligence that I found another certified Xpel installer for much less. Well I get a phone call shortly after leaving that they were canceling my window tint appointment because they 'didn't think they would do as good of a job as I wanted'. I thought that was odd as I had stopped in specifically when a model 3 was being done and agreed to their workmanship. I guess they were jealous of losing the ppf and ceramic business. These guys run their shop like a bunch of amateurs. I am happy they cancelled so I could get my work done elsewhere.

They think because they are registered as a Tesla destination for charging that will get them business but eventually their reputation will catch up to them.

Call Jay at Westside. He is in Oakville on Speers. He does Xpel Prime tint and others. 416-951-1749.

Echo everything here in spades. Jay is so very reputable & well priced, very professional, very respectful. Inception is riding on it's association with Tesla owners & their quality is low/marginal. Owners club should recind their associationship.

Hey everyone, just wanted to share my experience as well with tinting in the GTA area.

First things first, this is my first after market tint job ever as my previous vehicles had factory tint.

Coming from factory tint, it would be nice to be told up front that there is no such thing as perfect tint as that is not common sense to anyone who’s only had factory tint on their vehicle. Tell your customers that it can be normal to have dust or minor scratches, especially when doing tints covering larger areas.

Therefore, I took my vehicle to Inception to get my PPF and Ceramic done.

Unfortunately, I had it done right before the winter hit so therefore, my PPF did not cure and certain parts had to be redone come spring time. Thankfully, Inception took care of redoing the PPF where it was bubbling and peeling.

Communication and customer care at inception can be spotty, as I was setup to do a tint also in December, but then later was told that it won’t cure properly through winter. Once again, seems unorganized to not inform the person taking appointments that tints shouldn’t be done in the wintertime due to curing sensitivity.

When I finally had my tint done this spring, I picked up the vehicle when no one was around as everyone had to leave before 6pm. Therefore, when I did my walk around, my heart sank as there was imperfections around the edges of the tint and it was noticeable.

If you were proud of your work, wouldn’t you do one more inspection to see how it would look to a customer before you hand over their vehicle? Especially if there are obvious imperfections around the edges that are visible from outside the vehicle in daylight?? Based on all my observations, I think they have more work than they can handle and therefore, quality is compromised in the end.

I have to say, knowing what I know now, even if I have to drive 45 min to Markham or wherever quality resides, it is worth it so that you don’t have to keep going back to get deficiencies fixed.

I know travelling far out and then having to leave your car behind while your friend or relative comes and gets you and then drops you off is a hassle, the up front hassle is totally worth it to minimize the chance of going back to fix potentially quality issues.

Don’t let presence of fancy cars and association with Ontario Tesla club association fool you into thinking you are getting quality. Quality is in the obvious details combined with clear communications to manage expectations of time required to do your vehicle and what variance to expect.

Hope my story helps.

100% on your observations. The owner is hardly ever there & is basically milking the market using 'marginal' technicians. Buyers beware!!

Bump bump. Anyone had any experience with Skyline reflections in Hamilton. Seem to be highly rated according to the Google reviews. Or any other recommendations in the area; seems like Inception isn’t recommended much as the go to.