Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Window Tints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - thread merged with "M3 window tinting in the UK?" and renamed from "M3 Window Tint Shades"

I am collecting my M3 White SR+ Friday, and one of the first things i want to do is get the window tinted.

Just wondering if anyone has done this yet on white M3 and what shade / % you went for any pics?

also can anyone recommend any installers in the Essex area?

p.s sorry if this has been discussed on the uk forum before but i couldn't find anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I've had it done on the back door windows of mine, I was going to go for full limo but the guy doing it convinced me to go a level down which is 23% which i think was the right call.

There is a picture below for them, from a different angles they can look darker but i think it looks much better with them. I havent' had the rear window done yet because he needs to order a wider roll for it so its worth checking with the place you are taking it to if they can do it.

I am waiting for him to do another order rather than pay extra just him to get it now, the rear window doesnt have a huge area that isnt tinted anyway, plus its darker in the back with the side windows done.

I used SouthWest Tinting and they did an excellent job South West Tinting on Instagram: “Absolutely love these #model3 from Tesla!!! 23% film installed #tesla #teslamodel3 #windowtinting #tinting #windowtints #cartinting…”

Very nice smiddy.

I'm having mine done next week as well as ceramic coat and vinyl number plates. Going for a medium on back and light on front, not sure what the % is yet but 3M vinyl. Can't wait :cool:

Well, tinter has now said he won't touch the rear screen. He listened to a podcast where someone in the states did the back window, had water drop down the inside of the glass and down into the electronics - and cause $40k of damage.

Hmm, sounds like they must have used a power washer and not a squeegee! o_O

May just get the sides done for now and see how it looks.

Has anyone experienced windows cracking as a result of the tinting? I ask because I've seen some posts that made me concerned, specifically when the external temp is cold but car temperature being much warmer. From the posts I've seen, it is the rear window that primarily is the culprit.

Yeah I've had it done on the back door windows of mine, I was going to go for full limo but the guy doing it convinced me to go a level down which is 23% which i think was the right call.

There is a picture below for them, from a different angles they can look darker but i think it looks much better with them. I havent' had the rear window done yet because he needs to order a wider roll for it so its worth checking with the place you are taking it to if they can do it.

I am waiting for him to do another order rather than pay extra just him to get it now, the rear window doesnt have a huge area that isnt tinted anyway, plus its darker in the back with the side windows done.

I used SouthWest Tinting and they did an excellent job South West Tinting on Instagram: “Absolutely love these #model3 from Tesla!!! 23% film installed #tesla #teslamodel3 #windowtinting #tinting #windowtints #cartinting…”

Did you ever get the back window done?

Did you ever get the back window done?

No I still havent had it done yet, they were going to call me next time they did a bulk order so the wider roll would be cheaper but I havent heard from them and I've been too busy to chase them.

Its not that he didnt want to do it but the rear window requires a wider roll of film that they dont normally get in.

I might get around to it when the weather's a bit better, I have a look at their page occasionally to see if they have done any other Model 3's but they have only done centre console wrap's and PPF.

No I still havent had it done yet, they were going to call me next time they did a bulk order so the wider roll would be cheaper but I havent heard from them and I've been too busy to chase them.

Its not that he didnt want to do it but the rear window requires a wider roll of film that they dont normally get in.

I might get around to it when the weather's a bit better, I have a look at their page occasionally to see if they have done any other Model 3's but they have only done centre console wrap's and PPF.
Hi Smiddy, the car looks great! How much did it cost for the rear windows?

It was £130 for the rear windows and i think he said around £150 to do the back window.

They did an excellent job and give life time warranty on their work. South West Tinting is the place i took it to.

I've contacted them for a quote and at that price (give or take) I'll probably get the rear windows done. Do you know how many cars he'd need to make the back window that price?

Edit: Looks like I've just been quoted £320 for the rear windows! Did you get a discount for any reason that you know of?

Last edited:
I've contacted them for a quote and at that price (give or take) I'll probably get the rear windows done. Do you know how many cars he'd need to make the back window that price?

Edit: Looks like I've just been quoted £320 for the rear windows! Did you get a discount for any reason that you know of?

That sounds like a price for all the back windows (sides and rear) you might want to confirm that with him. He originally quote £220 for the whole rear until he got to see a Model 3 and did his home work on the back window.

20191217_112103.jpg
20191217_112110.jpg
20191217_112118.jpg
20191217_112126.jpg
I got all mine done I the end including back screen and lighter tint on front windows £300 all in,. - By the time i had mine done i wa sthe 3rd M3 they had done the rear screen of, and looks good.
20191217_112103.jpg
20191217_112103.jpg
20191217_112118.jpg
20191217_112110.jpg
20191217_112126.jpg

Has anyone experienced windows cracking as a result of the tinting? I ask because I've seen some posts that made me concerned, specifically when the external temp is cold but car temperature being much warmer. From the posts I've seen, it is the rear window that primarily is the culprit.

No issues, but only been done since Nov - although not sure what difference it would make to the large screen as already mostly tinted

Possibly but it depends when you are thinking of doing it, we've just spent a fair bit redoing our kitchen so money is a bit short at the moment.

In no rush, they've quoted the same as you paid for just the door windows so I'll probably get those done asap in March.

Thereafter I can wait for the back window if it reduces the cost a bit. They've quoted £190 for that on its own. Maybe let me know when you're ready?