Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Windows Calibration Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello.

Starting today, I've an issue where both my front and passenger window will not fully close when I use the automatic window up. To fully close it, I have to keep nudging it a little until it reaches the top. I've tried calibrating it with the method found that says to keep the button down for 15 seconds then up 15 seconds. The issue with that is that I can't even do the button up for 15 seconds because as soon as the window reaches the top, it drops back down automatically down the middle and that's for both front windows. Both back windows are fine and work properly.

I've scheduled an appointment with the Mobile Technician but I'm wondering if anyone had a similar issue, what did you do to resolve it ?

Thanks!

I had an issue with the rear passenger side windows. Mobile tech indicated that there is not way for the end-user to calibrate this on their own.
Well he's lying or doesn't know what he's talking about then.

Calibrating Windows

In the unlikely event that a window behaves unexpectedly (touches the bright molding, fails to open or close properly, goes down more than normal when the door opens, etc.), you can calibrate it to potentially fix the issue.

To calibrate a window:
  • Close the door with the affected window.
  • Sit in the driver's seat and close the driver door.
  • Use the driver window switch to raise the affected window until it stalls.
  • Use the driver window switch to lower the affected window until it stalls.
  • Use the driver window switch to raise the affected window until it stalls.

The window should now be calibrated. If the issue continues after attempting the calibration procedure a couple times, contact Tesla.

Hello.

Starting today, I've an issue where both my front and passenger window will not fully close when I use the automatic window up. To fully close it, I have to keep nudging it a little until it reaches the top. I've tried calibrating it with the method found that says to keep the button down for 15 seconds then up 15 seconds. The issue with that is that I can't even do the button up for 15 seconds because as soon as the window reaches the top, it drops back down automatically down the middle and that's for both front windows. Both back windows are fine and work properly.

I've scheduled an appointment with the Mobile Technician but I'm wondering if anyone had a similar issue, what did you do to resolve it ?

Thanks!
This is happening to me tonight. I was in my app and said my window was open (it wasn't when I left my car). Now my window does the same thing as yours and calibration isn't doing anything.

I have had this problem with both front windows periodically, also occastionally the rears. Often if the window is down for a prolonged period it will not close properly in auto - just goes back down (up to half-way) after closing. I've had 3 mobile tech visits and 2 shop visits so far. Windows have been removed/cleaned/lubed and one motor replaced. It's better, but still happens from time to time. The worst situation is when I vent the windows remotely to reduce cabin heat buildup on a sunny day and then close them later. One of the windows may re-open slightly, but I don't know about that until the app notifies me some time later. It's not a good situation for security, or when there's rain coming.

I have had this problem with both front windows periodically, also occastionally the rears. Often if the window is down for a prolonged period it will not close properly in auto - just goes back down (up to half-way) after closing. I've had 3 mobile tech visits and 2 shop visits so far. Windows have been removed/cleaned/lubed and one motor replaced. It's better, but still happens from time to time. The worst situation is when I vent the windows remotely to reduce cabin heat buildup on a sunny day and then close them later. One of the windows may re-open slightly, but I don't know about that until the app notifies me some time later. It's not a good situation for security, or when there's rain coming.
Did this ever get fully resolved? Mine started doing this after having the doors open for about an hour doing some mods

Did this ever get fully resolved? Mine started doing this after having the doors open for about an hour doing some mods
Hasn't happened recently but I don't think any corrective action had a clear effect on it. It always tended to happen more after the windows were down for a while, and this isn't a good season for that. I changed the configuration to automatically close on lock for the time being, to make sure the windows are up when I'm away from the car.

Hasn't happened recently but I don't think any corrective action had a clear effect on it. It always tended to happen more after the windows were down for a while, and this isn't a good season for that. I changed the configuration to automatically close on lock for the time being, to make sure the windows are up when I'm away from the car.
thanks. i just figured mine out. i had the doors open for about an hour installing speaker activate kit when mine started acting up. reset / recalibrate procedure wouldnt solve it. turns out it was something with the door puddle lights. theyre tied to window regulator somehow. i have aftermarket brighter ones and plugged the factory ones back in and it fixed the problem. think the doors being open that long messed with the voltage or something on the aftermarket ones but im wondering how many of these window issues could have something to do with those door puddle lights maybe going bad or just need to be reset by unplugging and plugging back in

Reactions: Floydsox
thanks. i just figured mine out. i had the doors open for about an hour installing speaker activate kit when mine started acting up. reset / recalibrate procedure wouldnt solve it. turns out it was something with the door puddle lights. theyre tied to window regulator somehow. i have aftermarket brighter ones and plugged the factory ones back in and it fixed the problem. think the doors being open that long messed with the voltage or something on the aftermarket ones but im wondering how many of these window issues could have something to do with those door puddle lights maybe going bad or just need to be reset by unplugging and plugging back in
I had AO door puddle lights (just regular white LEDs, not the ones that show a logo) on my previous used Model S and they were great, so much brighter than stock.

But I've seen upgraded puddle lights are the apparent cause of a lot of problems with the 3 so I'm just using the factory ones. Sucks.

Reactions: drewshady