Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Windows Tints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too was juggling between 35% and 25% ceramic. 5% is just too dark.

Probably will be doing 25% all around and will post photos for reference as it is difficult to find example of 25% with black interior as I feel 35% is just yield too much light. Other shop has option for 18% but I feel 15%-18% will look like 5% tint from a distance. Also keep in mind during the winter season all tints will look to appear darker as sun will set earlier and more often cloudy days.

I am I worried about being pulled over, not really, if they wanted to pull us over for tint it wouldn't matter if 35/25 they would just pull us over. 5% in the front is just asking to be pulled over.

i ended up getting XPEL Prime XR 30% front drive/passenger and 15% rear seats and single sheet on the back - absolutely no issues with night driving

$550 cash

i have black on black and the slight contrast is fine - didnt wanna mess with getting a ticket for the front two doors

single sheet on the rear is essential! you do not want that defiant line from 2 pieces

also find a place that knows wtf they are doing - tesla roofs are notorious for cracking when inexperienced people try to tint them

just got back from palm springs where it was well over 110 all weekend - parked outside because the resort had free tesla chargers on the side of the convention building there and my car was nice a warm when i got inside - not hot at all
How's the visibility out the rear roof glass with the 15% tint? I believe the roof glass comes tinted from the factory at 15-20%, so adding another layer of 15% tint....can you even see out the glass still? Lol

I got quoted $575 for Suntek CXP (everything but the "sunroof" glass over the front seating area, 1 piece whole rear roof glass). Having the sunroof glass done as well would be an extra $125. Upgrading to CIR would be $650 (+$150 for sunroof). Leaning towards just ponying up the extra cash for CIR.

For those who tinted the rear glass - did water seep into your center stoplight and cause stains? Mine did, I have it back at the tint shop to try to correct. Not sure if they can, and in my research the area looks completely unaccessible unless you take apart the entire rear upholstery to remove the back shelf.

How's the visibility out the rear roof glass with the 15% tint? I believe the roof glass comes tinted from the factory at 15-20%, so adding another layer of 15% tint....can you even see out the glass still? Lol

i was little worried about visibility at night but 15% is totally fine. maybe im just used to it by now

5% would be problematic

the key is keeping the heat out - reduces my AC use too

photo of stain ?
Yes that would have been infinitely helpful.
E77595D4-7746-4C44-B6A9-6783D5FAE5E3.jpeg

I too was juggling between 35% and 25% ceramic. 5% is just too dark.

Probably will be doing 25% all around and will post photos for reference as it is difficult to find example of 25% with black interior as I feel 35% is just yield too much light. Other shop has option for 18% but I feel 15%-18% will look like 5% tint from a distance. Also keep in mind during the winter season all tints will look to appear darker as sun will set earlier and more often cloudy days.

I am I worried about being pulled over, not really, if they wanted to pull us over for tint it wouldn't matter if 35/25 they would just pull us over. 5% in the front is just asking to be pulled over.

You shouldnt be worried about being pulled over with 5% you should be worried about not being able to see someone in the dark who might be coming from the left or right i.e. a cyclist driving without light. Yeah hes an idiot for doing so but that doesnt help you when hes injured and you got a dent.

I have attached you a few pictures of my car. 35% front,20% rear. 20% top strip in windshield. white interior.

20% looks essentially non seethrough in the evening and the 35% looks non seethrough at night. I would strongly suggest to not get different tints on front of rear window. Particularly at dawn you get this european look where there is a noticeable difference in front vs rear tint.

Attachments

• 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 2aa.jpg
    2aa.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 180
For those who tinted the rear glass - did water seep into your center stoplight and cause stains? Mine did, I have it back at the tint shop to try to correct. Not sure if they can, and in my research the area looks completely unaccessible unless you take apart the entire rear upholstery to remove the back shelf.
Same here. I wonder if there is a specialized flat detailing tool covered in microfiber to fit in the gap as to not remove the whole rear pillar and shelf? I'll keep an eye out. I'm thinking something along the lines of a cake icing spatula with a microfiber cover.

Attachments

• fc78eq030-04-main.jpg
    fc78eq030-04-main.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 160
After flip-flopping (and flip-flopping some more) I've finally decided on getting Xpel XR all around (70% windshield, 30% side windows, 20% rear roof glass). I believe it's gonna cost $950, but the tinter said he'd PPF my headights for free. 🤷‍♂️

Same here. I wonder if there is a specialized flat detailing tool covered in microfiber to fit in the gap as to not remove the whole rear pillar and shelf? I'll keep an eye out. I'm thinking something along the lines of a cake icing spatula with a microfiber cover.
Another thread I found when doing research says that they were able to use a spatula with a microfiber towel sprayed with window cleaner, and stuck it in that way to clean it. Others mentioned that it may break the foam seal, and the rear brake light would be visible from inside the car. It already is visible for me, which makes me think that my foam seal wasn't tight (obvs because of leak.) It's at the tint shop right now getting some fixes done, and the guy is still reviewing it.

After flip-flopping (and flip-flopping some more) I've finally decided on getting Xpel XR all around (70% windshield, 30% side windows, 20% rear roof glass). I believe it's gonna cost $950, but the tinter said he'd PPF my headights for free. 🤷‍♂️

nice! post pics when you get it back!

anyone has any experience with the 3m IR ceramic tints? those look interesting as well