Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Windows Tints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Suntek CIR 80% windshield, 30% everything else but the roof, just right for me.

Attachments

• AA54C966-B1F4-4344-8BBE-55B510AE6716.jpeg
    AA54C966-B1F4-4344-8BBE-55B510AE6716.jpeg
    838.4 KB · Views: 439
  • 99F9A7D0-CAE2-4D54-BD01-65877697F397.jpeg
    99F9A7D0-CAE2-4D54-BD01-65877697F397.jpeg
    694 KB · Views: 260
I wonder what specifically an installer should do to prevent this. I’m thinking next week when I drop mine off for a tint install, I’ll just show them this picture and ask if they can make sure it doesn’t happen.
There's a thing called a soak rope which tint installers should be using, installed at the base of the windshield to soak up the water. My suspicion is that they use this for the front windshield, to protect the electronics, but the rear not so much.

• Informative
Reactions: silenteski
i went 30% ceramic on all sides and rear window......in my opinion, if you don't do rear window, it doesn't look right...because it lightens the car up inside, and helps with overall privacy...and IMO also, i haven't found a good reason to do the roof....I live in South Carolina, had an S, now a 3P....i get nothing measurable from the roof....with no added tint on either.

i went 30% ceramic on all sides and rear window......in my opinion, if you don't do rear window, it doesn't look right...because it lightens the car up inside, and helps with overall privacy...and IMO also, i haven't found a good reason to do the roof....I live in South Carolina, had an S, now a 3P....i get nothing measurable from the roof....with no added tint on either.
Did you do the whole rear window in one piece or just the non tinted part?

Hello All,
I am new to this forum and excited to join the Tesla group. I am planning to get my front and back Windows tinted except the windshield and roof. Is it safe to do so, I am planning to get Ceramic IR series 35% front and 15% back as read on the group if I get 15% on front windows, it sometimes is difficult to see through side mirrors. Is it safe to do tinting as there are lot of electric connections in this car as compare to regular gas cars.

Please advise!
I went for Ceramic foil - VLT 85 for side windows in front and VLP 30 for the side windows in the back. I'm happy with the result and they seem to offer good insulation from direct sunlight. When is sunny outside and I wear polarized sunglasses, when I look in some specific angles (hard to get that angle) through the front windows, I see some shade of red/pink reflection. Not annoying but that is the only difference I noticed. I attach here some photos with the measurements of the foil used, windows without/with the foil and the final result.

Note - front window already has the 100% UVR protection (2021 model with double glazed windows in front).

You can watch more videos with this car here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5Y4-VswUGteajY3doQ9Iq7MMk_eND4AQ

Attachments

• Front foil alone.JPG
    Front foil alone.JPG
    302.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Front window no foil.JPG
    Front window no foil.JPG
    284 KB · Views: 137
  • Front window with foil.JPG
    Front window with foil.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Back foil alone.JPG
    Back foil alone.JPG
    311.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Back window no foil.JPG
    Back window no foil.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 107
  • Back window with foil.JPG
    Back window with foil.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 134
  • Nice car.JPG
    Nice car.JPG
    695.7 KB · Views: 178
No need to tint the roof glass. Simply buy the fitted screen shades that mount on the inside. Looks better IMO, can be easily removed at any time, since there is no adhesive or sticky residue film used and they keep the heat from the sun off you.
agreed, this is what I do. I put the shades on in the summer and take them off for the winter.

Reactions: LBM4
Gotta say the 70% tint is nice. I don't have any haze like they said I might and the slight tint helps my astigmatisms at night.

Excellent! With my 30% on the sides only, the only UV I have coming in is through the windshield. I'd considered getting a very light UV blocking only tint on the windshield, but wanted to hear from those that have actually done it. Thanks! I may pull the trigger.

Reactions: megansblonde
Excellent! With my 30% on the sides only, the only UV I have coming in is through the windshield. I'd considered getting a very light UV blocking only tint on the windshield, but wanted to hear from those that have actually done it. Thanks! I may pull the trigger.
Every windshield blocks nearly all UV A and B rays. All windows on the car do a good job blocking UV B rays, but the longer length UV A rays get through the side windows and glass roof and that is what causes sun burns and heat on you. On the newer Model 3, having dual pane front windows may actually do a pretty good job blocking these rays now. I haven't seen anything mentioning this though.

Back to the windshield, there is no point tinting the whole windshield unless you just want it darker in the car. But adding tint, won't do anything more against UV Ray's.

Reactions: Candleflame
I hate to be the stick-in-the-mud on this thread, but I think for completeness of information for anyone reading, we need to talk about window tint laws.

Yes, there are laws stating what's legal and what's not in every state. I know a lot of people treat window tint laws like they do speed limits -- i.e. as a recommendation instead of a requirement. I'm not your dad, so do whatever you want, but there's more to it than just a few extra dollars for a ticket.

In Texas, the maximum amount of visible light transmission allowed on the front side windows is 25%. That's total VLT with tint + glass. The glass itself blocks about 7%, so to be >25% VLT your tint needs to be 35% or higher to be legal. As shown in one of the pictures above, the meters that are used to measure this are pocket-sized and some cops here in Texas do carry them. They will test your tint on a traffic stop and issue a citation for anything that's out of regulation.

Also in Texas, rear window tint is restricted on cars that don't have dual side mirrors. Now, that's almost every car these days, but if you have one that doesn't have a factory passenger side mirror, you can only tint the rear window to 25% VLT. With dual side mirrors, the rear window and rear side windows are unrestricted.

Windshields in Texas cannot have any tint on them at all that's below the AS1 line without a medical exemption.

I know everyone basically ignores these laws, but you can easily set yourself up for disaster. If you have a collision at night and the word gets out that your tint was darker than allowed by law, consider the following:
  • Your insurance may not cover the medical expenses if you hurt someone. They may not cover property damage to your vehicle or someone else's vehicle.
  • You're at risk of getting sued for any damages that your insurance did not pay.
People are sue-happy, and juries love to pass judgment, As soon as a judge or jury hears that you were in violation, they're going to rule in the other party's favor, whether you saw the other car through the tint or not, or whether the accident was unavoidable or not.

In that situation, one of the things that can save you is if you can show that your tint was legal -- i.e. you did nothing wrong.

Like I said, I don't tell you what to do -- we're all big boys and girls here and can make our own decisions. Just keep in mind that illegal window tint is not about a cop pulling you over and giving you a ticket -- that's pocket change by comparison to the risk you might be taking.

its honestly enough. car doesnt feel like its closing in on you either since I like the open look. heres another shot from today.View attachment 704475View attachment 704476
I have the same M3 but haven’t had the windows tinted yet. I’m thinking of only doing the rear passenger side windows in a tint like your car. It’s illegal here to tint the front windows and I’m not sure how it would look with the rear roof done or not done. Did you get the rear roof fully done or just partly tinted? Can you show a photo from the inside looking out the back so I can see what it looks like? Thanks

What prices did you guys pay for your tints? Looking to get ceramic on 4 doors and rear window
Xpel XR on the sides and rear (1 piece) would have cost me $850. o_O Windshield would have cost another $200 by itself, but the tint guy said he could toss in the windshield for $100 more (normally $200), so paid $950 for everything. I thought about going with a cheaper tint/place, but pretty everyone locally recommended this place so I just bit the bullet.