Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Windows Tints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,
I am new to this forum and excited to join the Tesla group. I am planning to get my front and back Windows tinted except the windshield and roof. Is it safe to do so, I am planning to get Ceramic IR series 35% front and 15% back as read on the group if I get 15% on front windows, it sometimes is difficult to see through side mirrors. Is it safe to do tinting as there are lot of electric connections in this car as compare to regular gas cars.

Please advise!

It's safe. Need to speak to your installer. The windshield is the most important piece of glass to tint due it's angle allowing plenty of sunlight in. There are films that are light enough as to not restrict your nighttime driving. (50%-30%)

If you have your tint installed at a reputable and manufacturer-authorized installer, there is very little risk of damage to the car's electronics. Make sure you find someone who has lots of positive reviews for installing tints on Model 3's specifically. Do NOT go with the cheapest installer. It is worth every penny to pay someone experienced that you can trust. IMO, the biggest risk to the car is when having the windshield tinted. If not properly protected, water used in the installation process can seep into the electronics in the dash. But you said you were not having the windshield tinted so you should be ok.

With darker tints in the front windows, there is a risk of impaired vision with the side mirrors, especially with the white interior. Also with darker tints, your vision can be impaired at night or in low light conditions. Below is a quote from a helpful article on the subject along with the citation of the article. I personally chose 55% tint from Xpel on all my windows except for the windshield and the small roof window above the driver's head.

"Films can also hinder your vision on a cloudy, rainy or snowy day. Too dark of a tint may make it more difficult for you to see your surroundings in low light environments.

Driving at night with high levels of tint can be dangerous, too. The combination of a dark night and dark window films can create an intense lack of visibility. Darker tints are ideal for sunny states, but not necessarily in northern areas where people experience cloudy and rainy days more often."

Pros & Cons of Dark Window Tint | How Dark Should Window Tint Be? | Rvinyl.

Reactions: polyphonic54
I just had my windows tinted this week. It’s ceramic 30% all around except the roof and windshield. Driving this morning I noticed that the side mirrors are “dimmer” from the tint and also wearing sunglasses. I’m not worried about it, I think I’ll get used to it. (I had chrome delete done, too.)

full

If you have your tint installed at a reputable and manufacturer-authorized installer, there is very little risk of damage to the car's electronics. Make sure you find someone who has lots of positive reviews for installing tints on Model 3's specifically. Do NOT go with the cheapest installer. It is worth every penny to pay someone experienced that you can trust. IMO, the biggest risk to the car is when having the windshield tinted. If not properly protected, water used in the installation process can seep into the electronics in the dash. But you said you were not having the windshield tinted so you should be ok.

With darker tints in the front windows, there is a risk of impaired vision with the side mirrors, especially with the white interior. Also with darker tints, your vision can be impaired at night or in low light conditions. Below is a quote from a helpful article on the subject along with the citation of the article. I personally chose 55% tint from Xpel on all my windows except for the windshield and the small roof window above the driver's head.

"Films can also hinder your vision on a cloudy, rainy or snowy day. Too dark of a tint may make it more difficult for you to see your surroundings in low light environments.

Driving at night with high levels of tint can be dangerous, too. The combination of a dark night and dark window films can create an intense lack of visibility. Darker tints are ideal for sunny states, but not necessarily in northern areas where people experience cloudy and rainy days more often."

Pros & Cons of Dark Window Tint | How Dark Should Window Tint Be? | Rvinyl.

Thank you, I am getting 35% from ceramic IR series and 15% back windows which should be fine, i am getting lighter tint on the front windows as you had mentioned about the visibilty and yes we get snow here. He is asking $600.00 for the complete job and I am in NJ. Hope the price is competitive.

Thank you, I am getting 35% from ceramic IR series and 15% back windows which should be fine, i am getting lighter tint on the front windows as you had mentioned about the visibilty and yes we get snow here. He is asking $600.00 for the complete job and I am in NJ. Hope the price is competitive.

I was able to do my side windows @ 35% and rear windows @ 25% in NJ for about $200. I bought pre cut ceramic tint myself and had a local installer do it. He's done my bolt, my stealth and will do my P3 when it comes in a couple of weeks.

I was able to do my side windows @ 35% and rear windows @ 25% in NJ for about $200. I bought pre cut ceramic tint myself and had a local installer do it. He's done my bolt, my stealth and will do my P3 when it comes in a couple of weeks.

35% and rear windows @ 25% that looks dark, do you have any problems driving in the night with 35%, rear i am ok if its dark. $200 is cheap.

There's NO way I'd go with 15% in NJ. Having lived there for years and in NY on the border even longer, and now living in TX, that's pretty damn unnecessarily dark. In Houston, I had 20 on my first Model 3 with the white interior. I thought it was a little dark and on my second went with 30. I think that's a little too light. If they had 25%, I'd re-do it.

In NJ? I'd go 30% max.

Reactions: polyphonic54
There's NO way I'd go with 15% in NJ. Having lived there for years and in NY on the border even longer, and now living in TX, that's pretty damn unnecessarily dark. In Houston, I had 20 on my first Model 3 with the white interior. I thought it was a little dark and on my second went with 30. I think that's a little too light. If they had 25%, I'd re-do it.

In NJ? I'd go 30% max.
Thanks! 15% I am talking about back passenger windows and not the Drive side and front passenger to keep at 35% i am thinking otherwise it will become way too dark

35% is good for the fronts. I did 25% and it's a little too dark at night for my taste.

Make sure they know what they are doing with the Model 3. They should limit water use and possibly wrap the screen. They make absorptive ropes for the windshield area that are also a must. My installer has a lot of experience with Teslas and takes extra time to prep them.

My tint was $900 for high quality ceramic film: windshield, all sides, one piece back. Rates in Jersey are likely to be higher than my area.

35% is good for the fronts. I did 25% and it's a little too dark at night for my taste.

Make sure they know what they are doing with the Model 3. They should limit water use and possibly wrap the screen. They make absorptive ropes for the windshield area that are also a must. My installer has a lot of experience with Teslas and takes extra time to prep them.

My tint was $900 for high quality ceramic film: windshield, all sides, one piece back. Rates in Jersey are likely to be higher than my area.
Thanks! They are using3M Ceramic IR series. yes NJ is expensive, other installer gave me $900 without windshield and roof