Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Windscreen Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately I was on the wrong end of a stone today and windscreen chipped, with spider cracks. Not critical at this moment I think, but did get me wondering if anyone has experienced a windscreen swap and were there any associated issues? Can’t believe my bad luck - impact damage was a lot worse than I had expected - literally a chip out of the glass...

Unfortunately I was on the wrong end of a stone today and windscreen chipped, with spider cracks. Not critical at this moment I think, but did get me wondering if anyone has experienced a windscreen swap and were there any associated issues? Can’t believe my bad luck - impact damage was a lot worse than I had expected - literally a chip out of the glass...
Just had mine replaced 3 weeks ago. US$987. Tesla allows a third party (Safelite in the US) to change the glass, but it still has to back to a Tesla service center for camera calibration. The total cost was higher than just having Tesla do the full job.
They had the car for 1 full day, but this also included a warranty repair on a faulty turn signal.
The windshield replacement looks fine and I've had no issues.
This week I had installed a clear windshield film called ExoShield. $460 and it comes with a full windshield replacement warranty if the film fails to prevent a future cracked windshield.
It may just be my imagination, but in 45 years of driving, I don't think I've ever seen glass pit and chip as easily as I do on the Tesla.

Will be interesting to see if Autoglass are up to speed on the M3 yet...

They are comfortable with S & X already though.

If you use Autoglass under your insurance policy they will also offer to pay for Tesla to check camera alignment as part of the claim.

I had the screen on my S replaced last year and for that one Tesla were clear that no alignment visit was needed unless the car asked for it, be interesting to hear what they say about the 3...

Also, it may not be the same on the 3 but immediately after the glass is in and before the guy leaves, test your auto-wipers and auto headlights (not the dip function but the one that turns them on in low light) they both depend on a thermal sensor mounted in the camera array at the top of the glass on the S (may be different for the 3). In my case both of those functions failed initially, then worked fine for a few weeks before failing again.

It may be unrelated and Tesla replaced it under warranty but worth checking any way.

• Informative
Reactions: Fullerene and zayn
Get it looked at quick to see if it can be resin fixed.

A friend at work had his front screen pop on Sunday because of the heat, he had a small chip that happened a few days before and didn't get it looked at.

Here we are still waiting for our M3 and you go and get your M3 wind screen chipped. :eek:
Really unlucky. I must make a mental note not to follow vehicles too closely when I get mine. I still got a dent on my bonnet from a stone by following a GT3RS too closely:(

Mine chipped today :/

Am gutted. Hate seeing the little crack in the glass - it's literally all I can see when driving now.

Have called Churchill (insurer) who put me in touch with Autoglass. It's £10 excess for a repair or £75 for an entire replacement.

We shall see what happens when the Autoglass person arrives *fingers crossed*

Reactions: davidmc

Be careful...

They managed to f*ck up my 7 series. First fitted the screen that whistled (not enough glue), then snapped a cable to one of the wipers (which stopped working) while fitting the second screen. Now the wipers lift off slightly on one side and don't fully cover the screen and make rubbing noise.

I'd try fixing unless a replace is absolutely required.

Mine chipped today :/

Am gutted. Hate seeing the little crack in the glass - it's literally all I can see when driving now.

Have called Churchill (insurer) who put me in touch with Autoglass. It's £10 excess for a repair or £75 for an entire replacement.

I heard somewhere that it needs a re-calibration or something for the cameras/lane tracking etc - Can't remember where I saw that but might be worth checking with Telsa if there is any additional things needed after replacement

Be careful...

They managed to f*ck up my 7 series. First fitted the screen that whistled (not enough glue), then snapped a cable to one of the wipers (which stopped working) while fitting the second screen. Now the wipers lift off slightly on one side and don't fully cover the screen and make rubbing noise.

I'd try fixing unless a replace is absolutely required.
I have a horror story about Autoglass too. They swapped the screen on my 3-series some years ago and the first one they fitted was skewed with one side sitting proud of the frame by a good centimetre. Then when they came to replace it, the fitter cracked the screen installing it, so another was ordered. The third one was fitted OK so far as the glass was concerned, but the guy gouged huge chunks of paint off the frame. I managed to spot it before he left so called and sent photos. Autoglass agreed to pay for Chips Away to touch up the paint. So - definitely beware.

I heard somewhere that it needs a re-calibration or something for the cameras/lane tracking etc - Can't remember where I saw that but might be worth checking with Telsa if there is any additional things needed after replacement

I heard that recalibration only affected AP1 or if car specifically asked for it.

Won't stop someone trying to upsell the service though.

I heard that recalibration only affected AP1 or if car specifically asked for it.

Won't stop someone trying to upsell the service though.

In this case it is more of a chance to charge your insurer more rather than you, but yes, they do aggressively chase you to book a recalibration visit, even though Tesla told me it wasn't needed on my model S.

Luckily this was just a repair.

I'm more than a little impressed with Autoglass... In all my years of driving, this is my first time dealing with them and they were fantastic. Chip has basically disappeared, all within 20 minutes. Even removed the scuff/scratch marks from the screen too.

(Also relieved I didn't have to deal with a screen replacement and all of the camera calibration stuff mentioned above - I confess to not even thinking about that).

Reactions: davidmc and Roy W.
Luckily this was just a repair.

I'm more than a little impressed with Autoglass... In all my years of driving, this is my first time dealing with them and they were fantastic. Chip has basically disappeared, all within 20 minutes. Even removed the scuff/scratch marks from the screen too.

(Also relieved I didn't have to deal with a screen replacement and all of the camera calibration stuff mentioned above - I confess to not even thinking about that).
Glad your chip is all sorted. Such bad luck!

I’ve used Autoglass a couple of times over the last few years. Once for a replacement screen on a Skoda Octavia. It had to go in for that. And early this year I got a chip on the Kona screen, which was fixed by the mobile chappy. Always done a good job, and reliable too.